Important! New Ratings System

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
At least the "like" button is far left. As easy to hit as it was before.
That's by design. They can be ordered in any way I want, and this isn't the final number of them or the final icons, but I hope to have them ordered left to right with the most often used. The "like" button will definitely remain first.

At least the "like" button is far left. As easy to hit as it was before.
Now, if you can put an icon of "a beer" up there or "cheers", then I'm in high cotton!! LOL!!
That's really more of a smiley than feedback on a post.

Beer - :beermug:
Cheers - :beercheers:

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Turtle your proof as presented to was to show examples. Those examples are few and far between. How about getting app on bar before adding features to a browser?

Also no matter if you are aware or admit to it, you seem to relish in the fact you have made up power on this website. Enjoy it because very few care as much as you and your ego.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle your proof as presented to was to show examples. Those examples are few and far between. How about getting app on bar before adding features to a browser?

Also no matter if you are aware or admit to it, you seem to relish in the fact you have made up power on this website. Enjoy it because very few care as much as you and your ego.
What the Hell do you want from me? You asked for proof and I gave it to you. That should have been the end of it. But no, now you want to attack me in public when I haven't done anything to you. Why?

Also, I have no idea what "get app on bar" means. If you want some function or feature added to the app, you need to talk to the developers who write the software for the app. That's not me.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
What the Hell do you want from me? You asked for proof and I gave it to you. That should have been the end of it. But no, now you want to attack me in public when I haven't done anything to you. Why?

Also, I have no idea what "get app on bar" means. If you want some function or feature added to the app, you need to talk to the developers who write the software for the app. That's not me.
I apologize my phone corrected on par to on bar. Also you shouldn't cuss it's not polite.

I didn't attack I simply said my observation but I said it poorly. I am sorry for that

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We're working on implementing a new ratings system to replace and greatly enhance the "likes" we've all come to know and love. The system is, at its core, a user rating system where users are rated based on their posts. The options are Positive, Negative, and Neutral. All of them here will probably be Positive, same as a regular "like." There are may forums where user ratings, good and bad, are beneficial, but I don't know that we're one of them. And I don't want people ganging up and mass slamming someone with Negative ratings, or some adolescent going back and giving a Negative rating to every one of a member's post because they got their feelings hurt. If we do a Negative one at all, it will probably be for something like "off-topic."

Currently the ability to "like" a post (give it a rating) is disabled (for everyone but Mods and Admins). But that will change very shortly (within an hour or two at most). I need to do some configuring first. Because the default ratings options (which can be seen on your Profile page, BTW) will change, I don't want any of the ones that will change to be given out on a post, which will mess things up after they're changed.

Mr. Yuk.jpg

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
I really don't get this. Why is this such a big deal to people. Who cares. Are people so worried that someone might "dislike" one of their posts and they'll get their feelings all hurt?

Reactions: scottm4211

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I really don't get this. Why is this such a big deal to people. Who cares. Are people so worried that someone might "dislike" one of their posts and they'll get their feelings all hurt?
If used as a full-on user rating system, with Positive, Neutral and Negative, it certainly could.

Likes.PNG

Here's one showing 17 Positive, 2 Neutral and 4 Negative. Suppose people ganged up and gave "another user" 50 Negatives. Or someone got into a spat with "another user" and out of pure childish vindictiveness decided to go back and give a Negative rating on all of "another user's" posts. Wouldn't take all that much for this person to just leave and never come back.

We have Dislike and Disagree, and we're going to have a Not Helpful to go along with Helpful, and they all count as a Positive rating, so people can express their opinions via the ratings system, without branding someone as negative, while at the same time helping newbies doing research to be able to separate the helpful and informative posts from the childish bickering and puffery that is so prevalent here. ;)

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use the tapatalk app so I'm left out of all the good stuff. But it's so much more convenient because I can also access my Ford Transit forum from the same app without having to go to a different address or anything

Sent from my RCT6213W87DK using Tapatalk

Reactions: Turtle

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
What the hell happened to the old days where you just read something and moved on? I dgaf who likes or don't like something. Better things to do than gaf.

Reactions: MikeDamone

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
What the hell happened to the old days where you just read something and moved on? I dgaf who likes or don't like something. Better things to do than gaf.

You still have that option.
But but you must ga* about your community. Tell me you do.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see some more ratings options are now available...... roll of paper ( helpful) and poo (not helpful)... funny and fitting

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I see some more ratings options are now available...... roll of paper ( helpful) and poo (not helpful)... funny and fitting
It's harder than you'd think to create or find icons that visibly and immediately represent "Helpful" and "Not Helpful," and be 16x16 pixels (or 20x20 at most). The default icon for "Helpful" was that wrench. OK, I suppose.

Instead of the Nuke icon for off-topic I was gonna use the poop icon, as that one seems to fit there, as well. But poop makes a better counterpart to the helpful TP icon, I think. I may end up using different icons for both, I dunno.

I still need to change the thumbs up and down icons to be more like the standard Facebook like icon that we had before, instead of the "realistic" hands (which I don't like at all - so everyone who really likes them needs to weigh in here or in a PC). I also need to find a better icon for "Bummer," as well as icons for "Happy" and "Sad" and "Zing!" I've gone ahead and made the latter three visible and available, even though I don't have icons for them.

Dislike, Disagree and Not Helpful count as a Neutral Rating. The Off Topic is a Negative Rating. All others are Positive. If people think "Dislike" should be a Positive Rating instead (because it gets used mainly for things like dislike a post about someone blowing a transmission or getting caught in the snow), let me know.

If someone posts something that's clearly off-topic and intended to derail a thread (and it's not near the end of a thread that's already run its course), don't be afraid to let 'em know with an Off Topic rating. By the same token, it really needs to be off topic and not something that's a result of the normal flow of the conversation. Anyone abusing the Off Topic rating, just like anything else, will lose the privilege to rate posts.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Apparently optimistic is one of those too. The rainbow does not immediately evoke a sense of optimism.
Happy:)
Sad:(

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thinking of...

Sad - smiley_sad1.gif

Happy - happy.png

Winner - Trophy.png (or does everyone like the current "medal" Medal.png for that one?

Zing! - Lightning (1).png

I don't know what to do with the Optimistic. A rainbow is the traditional sign for optimism when you see it, or at least it used to be, but now it also looks a little too Rainbow Coalition, if ya ask me.