Sprinter 70cpm + fsc

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
With the today's living cost, yes, we should... but we don't :(

I met this nice lady when I was driving for Express 1 back in 2008. She told me that in the old days like the early nineties to the early 2000's, all she had to do to make her money for the week was two loads. She would do two loads for the week and then go home. Apparently too good loads a week was all it took back then to pay the bills. She was not driving for fun either. She was doing this job for her sole source of income!

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I met this nice lady when I was driving for Express 1 back in 2008. She told me that in the old days like the early nineties to the early 2000's, all she had to do to make her money for the week was two loads. She would do two loads for the week and then go home. Apparently too good loads a week was all it took back then to pay the bills. She was not driving for fun either. She was doing this job for her sole source of income!
That's quite right. All I needed were two runs and I was worry free about the bills for the rest of the month (the average was about three long runs per week). And back those days when I was with Nations, most of the runs were long ones (a 500 mile run was for me a short one)...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
goes to show how this business has morphed from a 1 income type occupation down to about a 2nd income occupation...things change....like it or not....
ok some of you guys are realistic types and know your numbers.....
A CV's CPM is say .35 .....so at .35 a mile is a break even deal....but your time is not included...at .70 now you are 100% above your operating costs....so with the average carrier paying about .80 to .85 a mile thats about 120% profit and this is what some CEO's see..they run the numbers...at $1.05 you are now at 200% profit......IF your carrier made that much you'd be whining like little kids that just got booted from the sand box...
These carriers pushing the $1.00 plus are doing so to save their own collective butts....They SAY its for you but...its all about them. Some carriers at today's margins now are going down....IF they don't diversify...like All State and Tri state with TL and specialized divisions to help pay their own fixed costs...Expedite income alone isn't going to pay their bills...
of course this is all opinion from 16 year veteran business owner and CEO of his own profitable business..
and on top of that I am taking the next 4 weeks off....for some R & R....:p

Last edited:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back in the day I covered all my monthly bills, mortgage, van payment, utilities, insurance, in one week, the rest was just bank the money, couldn't do that now!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
goes to show how this business has morphed from a 1 income type occupation down to about a 2nd income occupation...things change....like it or not....
ok some of you guys are realistic types and know your numbers.....
A CV's CPM is say .35 .....so at .35 a mile is a break even deal....but your time is not included...at .70 now you are 100% above your operating costs....so with the average carrier paying about .80 to .85 a mile thats about 120% profit and this is what some CEO's see..they run the numbers...at $1.05 you are now at 200% profit......IF your carrier made that much you'd be whining like little kids that just got booted from the sand box...
These carriers pushing the $1.00 plus are doing so to save their own collective butts....They SAY its for you but...its all about them. Some carriers at today's margins now are going down....IF they don't diversify...like All State and Tri state with TL and specialized divisions to help pay their own fixed costs...Expedite income alone isn't going to pay their bills...
of course this is all opinion from 16 year veteran business owner and CEO of his own profitable business..
and on top of that I am taking the next 4 weeks off....for some R & R....:p
Lol your so all over the board I'm not even really sure what point your trying to make so I'll ask. Are you saying that if our operating cost was 10 cents then running for 20 cents would be ok because, hey that's 100% profit? I don't know about others but I kinda see some value in pushing for higher rates as an industry.

Yowpuggy

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol your so all over the board I'm not even really sure what point your trying to make so I'll ask. Are you saying that if our operating cost was 10 cents then running for 20 cents would be ok because, hey that's 100% profit? I don't know about others but I kinda see some value in pushing for higher rates as an industry.
Sounds like you're are only working to maintain your vehicle.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And your point is? don't be so silly you know exactly what I mean. Your carrier only makes 30% minus the cost to support on going bonus programs.... You guys should be buying Johns lunch every day....lol

Reactions: ntimevan

Yowpuggy

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
And your point is? don't be so silly you know exactly what I mean. Your carrier only makes 30% minus the cost to support on going bonus programs.... You guys should be buying Johns lunch every day....lol
How much percent does your carrier makes?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Percentage is only a part of it. Consistency of freight/runs would be the other factor. One could have 300 percent profit margin but it means little if you are basing it on say $100 a week or your cost to generate that $100 are $80 dollars. Have to look at ALL of the picture rather than just a part of it. or you

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Percentage is only a part of it. Consistency of freight/runs would be the other factor. One could have 300 percent profit margin but it means little if you are basing it on say $100 a week or your cost to generate that $100 are $80 dollars. Have to look at ALL of the picture rather than just a part of it. or you
I thought I did by giving example numbers of CPM

If my cpm is say .20 lower then Xiggis in THEORY ... I could run for less then he could and make more profit... It's all on the individual numbers Dave....

Reactions: ntimevan