Sprinter 70cpm + fsc

mdpettrey

Seasoned Expediter
That's why we don't have set profit margins, we never want to lose a load because we have to meet a set margin. Most customers or 3PL companies don't realize what it costs to operate a safe power unit, and hire quality drivers to get the job done safely and on time. So with that being said in the last years we have seen an influx of units under 10k GVW that operate unsafe, under insured, and without the quality drivers that are taking all the good freight because they do it so much cheaper. Most of these "influx" drivers don't have houses to pay for or families to feed....well not in this country at least.

Again why I replied to this thread is from the sarcastic comments about our "association" and "leadership", which I don't get why it has to do with anything with .70 cpm. We have had a conference every January for the last 14 years, so it shouldn't come as a shock we are having one this year too. BTW, I'm very happy to say that the company you run for just joined our Association, it's good to have another quality company be a part of a great Association.

Reactions: APMECHANIC

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
My 2 cents, which in this environment may only be worth 1.5¢ - turning down a load because it does not pay what you want is not smart. The only one that benefits are the underinsured, low overhead Eastern Europeans that will take what you don't want. I have been in several fields over the years and live by the premise that any job you let your competitor get makes you weaker and him stronger. So, IMHO it is silly to let pride enter into a monetary decision!! A time will come when a tragedy will expose these "cheaters", but, until them our best defense is to do what is necessary to keep freight away from them.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's why we don't have set profit margins, we never want to lose a load because we have to meet a set margin. Most customers or 3PL companies don't realize what it costs to operate a safe power unit, and hire quality drivers to get the job done safely and on time. So with that being said in the last years we have seen an influx of units under 10k GVW that operate unsafe, under insured, and without the quality drivers that are taking all the good freight because they do it so much cheaper. Most of these "influx" drivers don't have houses to pay for or families to feed....well not in this country at least.

Again why I replied to this thread is from the sarcastic comments about our "association" and "leadership", which I don't get why it has to do with anything with .70 cpm. We have had a conference every January for the last 14 years, so it shouldn't come as a shock we are having one this year too. BTW, I'm very happy to say that the company you run for just joined our Association, it's good to have another quality company be a part of a great Association.

I know you guys pay your drivers well. I met one of your drivers who told me you guys didn't pay under 1.25 per mile for a sprinter van. That as back in 2007. I know things have really changed a lot since then. I side with you on trying to keep the rates up by refusing to pimp your trucks out for a low rate. However I also support OVM and his carrier being a little bit more flexible as to be able to keep his units running in a very bad market. I don't see anything wrong with either way of doing business as long as it is what best suits the driver and the company. Some drivers don't mind sitting for a few days to get a good paying load, while others prefer to keep busier at slightly lower rates. Note that I said "slightly lower rates" like 90 to 95 cents per mile instead of a dollar! I'm not talking about running for 50 cents a mile just to stay busy! I know it is easy to say not to run cheap fright, but there aren't enough carriers/drivers refusing to move cheap freight to be able to live that motto right now. Take Panther for instance paying their vans 80 CPM with fuel surcharge, and the same thing goes for XPO Logistics. Those are the big boys on the block! How can we compete with Panther and XPO? Even FedEx used to pay my fiend 700 dollars to move a 500 mile cargo van load back in 2008. Now he is lucky to get 475 dollars to run that same load. FedEx is top dog in this game and they have been on the decline for years. I also think some of the Alliance carriers are severely underpaying their straight truck drivers. It isn't just a carrier, driver, broker, and underinsured carrier/driver problem; it is a shipper problem! Like you say, brokers, 3PL's, and shippers need to be educated on the costs that are involved in operating a safe truck, to maintain top notch drivers, and to provide safe on time service. The only problem with that is "greed!" The brokers and shippers are really enjoying the cheap rates right now. This will continue to happen until there is a major incident that involves major lawsuits and a big loss of income by one of these parties. If only it was so easy for every driver to just say no to cheap freight.

Last edited by a moderator:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My 2 cents, which in this environment may only be worth 1.5¢ - turning down a load because it does not pay what you want is not smart. The only one that benefits are the underinsured, low overhead Eastern Europeans that will take what you don't want. I have been in several fields over the years and live by the premise that any job you let your competitor get makes you weaker and him stronger. So, IMHO it is silly to let pride enter into a monetary decision!! A time will come when a tragedy will expose these "cheaters", but, until them our best defense is to do what is necessary to keep freight away from them.

A tragedy is what it's going to take for things to change!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know you guys pay your drivers well. I met one of your drivers who told me you guys didn't pay under 1.25 per mile in a sprinter van. That as back in 2008. I know things have really changed a lot since than. I side with you on trying to keep the rates up by refusing to pimp your trucks out for low rate. However I also support OVM and his carrier being a little bit more flexible as to be able to keep his units running in a very bad market. I don't see anything wrong with either way of doing business as long as it is what best suits the driver and the company. Some drivers don't mind sitting for a few days to get a good paying load, while others prefer to keep busier are slightly lower rates. I know it is easy to say not to run cheap fright, but there aren't enough carriers refusing to move cheap freight to be able to live that motto right now. Take Panther for instance paying their vans 80 CPM with fuel surcharge, and the same thing goes for XPO Logistics. Those are the bi boys on the block! How can e compete with Panther and XPO. Even FedEx used to pay my fiend 700 dollars to move a 500 mile cargo van load back in 2008. Now he is lucky to get 450 dollars to run that same load. FedEx is top dog in this game and they have been on the decline for years. I also think some of the Alliance carriers are severely underpaying their straight truck drivers. It isn't just a carrier, driver, broker, and underinsured carrier/driver problem; it is a shipper problem! Like you say, brokers, 3PL's, and shippers need to be educated on what costs are involved in operating a safe truck, to maintain top notch drivers, and to get great on time service. The only problem with that is greed! The brokers and shippers are really enjoying the cheap rates right now. This will continue to happen until there is a major incident that involved major lawsuits and a big loss of income by one of these parties. If only it was so easy for every driver to just say no to cheap freight.
Exactly.... I've never promoted "cheap". Only the freedom to be competitive in this very tense market condition....

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
To be clear, I am very proud that Crossroads Express, LLC has finally gotten around to APPLYING for TEANA membership. Finally.
Hopefully we qualify and the board accepts us.
I wasn't a charter member, by any stretch, but I had a past life as a TEANA member about 5 thru 10+ years ago (I think) and am a 100% believer in the value of a trade organization that is governed by itself and builds its foundation on business ethics and integrity. And that organization helping to build even stronger relationships with like-minded businesses.
Thinking back, I recall even being invited to be a board member way back when. I didn't have time, but regret not making time to help be a part of expedite history.
Anyway, hopefully by late December, the board members will vote in favor.
:)!!!

drifter

Expert Expediter
Let me tell you how the won't run cheap goes. 5 drivers standing in a parking lot all have the same broker all get the same offer all say :;;&&-/ no and after standing there a couple minutes one says I'm gonna run down to Walmart never to be seen again

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
To be clear, I am very proud that Crossroads Express, LLC has finally gotten around to APPLYING for TEANA membership. Finally.
Hopefully we qualify and the board accepts us.
I wasn't a charter member, by any stretch, but I had a past life as a TEANA member about 5 thru 10+ years ago (I think) and am a 100% believer in the value of a trade organization that is governed by itself and builds its foundation on business ethics and integrity. And that organization helping to build even stronger relationships with like-minded businesses.
Thinking back, I recall even being invited to be a board member way back when. I didn't have time, but regret not making time to help be a part of expedite history.
Anyway, hopefully by late December, the board members will vote in favor.
:)!!!
Good job.....^5....relationship and network building are very important these days.....:)
Green Bay would have been a better location for a conference....LOL

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And again .... What defines "cheap freight"?....
Anyone ever been able to nail down a definitive description....?
Here you go cupcakes.

Percent of something, or 100% of nothing. Drivers choice. Beneath them to run a load that doesn't pay the bills, they get the 100% of nothing. Yea, that'll show'em.
Yeah, there's a fine line between refusing to run cheap, and in letting the fleet dry on the vine. Pick it while the picking's good instead of being too picky.