"How can I kill this man?"

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Look what happened in the Garden of Gethsemane 2000 plus years ago. An angry mob accosted him and he went willingly. He was ridiculed, humiliated, tortured and finally nailed to a cross and left to die.
There's an interesting part of this story that bears paying attention to, IMO.

Prior to going to the Garden, Jesus had his disciples obtain weapons (swords) and arm themselves - but to what end ?

Luke 22:

35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.

36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

It would appear that Jesus was not so concerned about having all disciples fully armed in order to repel an attack, but that only there be enough armaments to achieve some end - perhaps demonstrate or teach some principle.

When they came to take him to crucify him to his death, and one of the disciples acted (with violence against another) to prevent it. Jesus reaction ?

49 When they which were about him saw what would follow, they said unto him, Lord, shall we smite with the sword?

50 And one of them smote the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear.

51 And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And he touched his ear, and healed him.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Christians are followers of Jesus Christ. If you look real close at the word Christian, you should be able to see the word Christ, with an ian tacked on. Jesus was a pacifist. A live and let live, turn the other cheek dude. He wasn't in to that eye for an eye Old Testament retribution stuff.

Look what happened in the Garden of Gethsemane 2000 plus years ago. An angry mob accosted him and he went willingly. He was ridiculed, humiliated, tortured and finally nailed to a cross and left to die. At any point he could have called upon God to turn his tormentors into wheel chocks and end his agony. But he didn't. After spending 3 days being dead, in a dank, dark cave, he arose from the dead. One would think he'd be plenty po'd after all that, but he wasn't. He forgave his persecutors, scared the crap out of his disciples and pretty much went about his business like it never happened.

Write, that's a seriously humanist, and wrong, take on things. Christ was not at all a pacifist.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Write, that's a seriously humanist, and wrong, take on things. Christ was not at all a pacifist.

If he wasn't a pacifist, how do you explain him being captured in the Garden of Gethsemane, by an angry mob and carted off when he was packing a large caliber machine gun? He could have turned the mob into Dinty Moore beef stew with that gun. I suppose he couldn't buy any ammo because the DHS cornered the market with their 450 million round purchase.

JesusWithMachineGun.jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If he wasn't a pacifist, how do you explain him being captured in the Garden of Gethsemane, by an angry mob and carted off when he was packing a large caliber machine gun? He could have turned the mob into Dinty Moore beef stew with that gun. I suppose he couldn't buy any ammo because the DHS cornered the market with their 450 million round purchase.

JesusWithMachineGun.jpg

His purpose here was to die on that cross. To do otherwise would be in defiance of the "Father".

Besides, there was no ammunition to buy at the time. No large caliber machine gun to "pack" (I defy ANYONE to carry a large caliber machine gun concealed)

Pacifist? Remember the "Money Changers" .

Most also forget that Jesus was NOT here for earthly power and had no interest in government. He was a "spiritual" leader.

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

Because when He left heaven to come here, He did so knowing that He would be crucified. It was His purpose. He agonized over it, knowing the suffering that was ahead of Him. But He eventually said, "Not my will, but Thine" and allowed Himself to be taken, as He Himself told His disciples would happen beforehand. When Peter used violence to defend Him from the soldiers, He told Peter that it must be this way i.e. being arrested and killed was the plan.

Forty years later, He sent the Roman army to wipe out the generation that had rejected Him, hardly the actions of a pacifist.

2012: Ron Paul or not at all.
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
“Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household."

Of course, many people believe "a sword" to be a euphemism... for "broccoli".

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
“Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household."

Considering that mass printing [like wheel chocks] hadn't been invented yet, and every copy of every book including the Bible had to be written [and translated] entirely by hand, it's not unreasonable to think a few things got euphemized, or changed slightly [but utterly] in translation, or 'new & improved' along the way.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Many churchs FAIL to teach the whole council of GOD, which is why there is a persistant myth of "Jesus Pacifism", Jesus appears many times in the bible, even in the OT, once he ats with Abraham while angels destroy Sodom at his command, one he appears to JOshua outside of Jericho, in full armor as "The Captain of The Host".

He appeared to Isiah, and if you've ever read the Revalation of John, there sure is a lot of smiting and fire pit casting for a Pacifist.

Even in the NT a couple are struck dead for lying. I guess nobody reads that part.

"So much as it depends ON YOU, live in peace with other men"
Means don't start fights, but if the other guy starts it you're free to whoop *** (assuming its not just a petty insult)

I think "Jesus Pacifism" is just used as a cover today for cowardice. Which is a sin, but on.e that can be conveniently blamed on Jesus.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Many churchs FAIL to teach the whole council of GOD, which is why there is a persistant myth of "Jesus Pacifism", Jesus appears many times in the bible, even in the OT, once he ats with Abraham while angels destroy Sodom at his command, one he appears to JOshua outside of Jericho, in full armor as "The Captain of The Host".

He appeared to Isiah, and if you've ever read the Revalation of John, there sure is a lot of smiting and fire pit casting for a Pacifist.

Even in the NT a couple are struck dead for lying. I guess nobody reads that part.

"So much as it depends ON YOU, live in peace with other men"
Means don't start fights, but if the other guy starts it you're free to whoop *** (assuming its not just a petty insult)

I think "Jesus Pacifism" is just used as a cover today for cowardice. Which is a sin, but on.e that can be conveniently blamed on Jesus.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

In adoptio addition, he appeared to Abraham as a Christophany in the person of Melchizedek (Wow, Android knew that name!) and accepted a tithe of the booty that came from Abraham conquering the 5 wicked kings who took Lot captive. Had Christ been a pacifist, He wouldn't have and couldn't have accepted a tithe from that loot that came from violence.

And them there's the passage in Exodus that permits killing a burglar in your home at night.

Nope, God/Jesus aren't pacifists.

--

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I certainly do! I also believe "a spear" to be a euphemism for "asparagus". The Bible seems less messy and violent when substituting vegetables for weapons. Vegetables are our friends. Call any vegetable, call it by name. FZ

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Considering that mass printing [like wheel chocks] hadn't been invented yet, ...

Listen here Missy, wheel chocks were invented prior to the invention of the wheel. If it wasn't for the wheel chock we wouldn't have wheels. The wheel chock had to have come first otherwise the first wheel that was chiseled from stone would have rolled away. Without wheels you and I would be unemployed.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In adoptio addition, he appeared to Abraham as a Christophany in the person of Melchizedek

In adoptio addition God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God say, "No." Abe say, "What ?"
God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin' you better run"
Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done ?"
God says. "Out on Highway 61".

Not only did God want Abe to kill his son, In adoptio addition God had his own son killed. You're right, neither of these two sick phucs are pacifists!

witness23

Veteran Expediter
I certainly do! I also believe "a spear" to be a euphemism for "asparagus". The Bible seems less messy and violent when substituting vegetables for weapons. Vegetables are our friends. Call any vegetable, call it by name. FZ

Thus the reason for these guys:

images

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
In adoptio addition God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God say, "No." Abe say, "What ?"
God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin' you better run"
Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done ?"
God says. "Out on Highway 61".

Not only did God want Abe to kill his son, In adoptio addition God had his own son killed. You're right, neither of these two sick phucs are pacifists!

You know, here's the difference between Islam and Christianity...in Islam, if "an infidel" insults their (false) prophet, they want to cut off our head or cut out our tongue our something like that. In Christianity, we look back to the Old Testament, which records how Samson or Gideon, forget which, busted up the idols in the pagan temple. A mob appeared outside his front door the next morning, wanting to bust him up some. His father said, "What? Can't your god fight his own battles?"

Well, our God can, something you might want to keep in mind when you speak of Him.

Had God wanted Isaac dead, He wouldn't have sent an angel to prevent it. God used Abraham and Isaac to foretell how He would sacrifice His own Son. Got a poem for that?

--

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

Well, yeah ... of course .... I mean it's not like he ever used metaphors or parables or symbolism or anything like that .... :rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, yeah ... of course .... I mean it's not like he ever used metaphors or parables or symbolism or anything like that .... :rolleyes:
Broccoli, and the fondness for and the hatred of, has ripped many a family apart.

As for God fighting his own battles, you betcha he can. He also has one Hеll of a sense of humor. He, too, wonders why so many Christians believe "Christian Humor" is an oxymoron. God invented humor. And He created man in his image, so if man has humor (except, you know, the Christians), then it could have only come from God.

God was practically a stand-up.

And the LORD said unto Moses, "Hew thee two tablets of stone like just like the first ones: and I will write upon these tables the words that were also on the first tablets.... which you broke." And a rimshot could be heard in the distance.