700 wlw and bubba bo!

MANIAC

Seasoned Expediter
JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH BUBBA BO THE WEEKEND HOST OF AMERICA'S TRUCKIN' NETWORK. WE WERE GOING TO GO IN STUDIO WITH HIM FOR THE FRIDAY NIGHT SHOW AND PROMOTE THE EXPO! BUT, BECAUSE NO ADVERTISING DOLLARS WERE SPENT WITH 700 WLW, WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO SO! STEVE AND BUBBA HAVE THE #1 RATINGS ON OVERNIGHT TRUCKING RADIO YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR!
THEY UNDERSTAND THAT DAVE NEMO STARTED THE EXPO AT THE DETROITER TRUCK STOP YEARS AGO, BUT NEMO IS ON IN THE AM, TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT RADIO MARKETS!
PERSONALLY I LIKE DAVE BUT, THINK THAT HIS SHOW HAS TURNED TOTALLY INTO AN INFOMERCIAL! HE HAS LOST ALOT OF LISTENERS OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS INCLUDING SINDY AND I! HIS SHOW IS NOT ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS!
SORRY GUYS, MY HANDS ARE TIED AS FAR AS GETTING ON WLW WHILE THE EXPO IS GOING ON! LOST ALOT OF GOOD EXPOSURE OPPROTUNITY FOR ALL OF US AND TALKING ABOUT WHAT WE ALL DO!:mad:

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH BUBBA BO THE WEEKEND HOST OF AMERICA'S TRUCKIN' NETWORK. WE WERE GOING TO GO IN STUDIO WITH HIM FOR THE FRIDAY NIGHT SHOW AND PROMOTE THE EXPO! BUT, BECAUSE NO ADVERTISING DOLLARS WERE SPENT WITH 700 WLW, WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO SO! STEVE AND BUBBA HAVE THE #1 RATINGS ON OVERNIGHT TRUCKING RADIO YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR!
THEY UNDERSTAND THAT DAVE NEMO STARTED THE EXPO AT THE DETROITER TRUCK STOP YEARS AGO, BUT NEMO IS ON IN THE AM, TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT RADIO MARKETS!
PERSONALLY I LIKE DAVE BUT, THINK THAT HIS SHOW HAS TURNED TOTALLY INTO AN INFOMERCIAL! HE HAS LOST ALOT OF LISTENERS OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS INCLUDING SINDY AND I! HIS SHOW IS NOT ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS!
SORRY GUYS, MY HANDS ARE TIED AS FAR AS GETTING ON WLW WHILE THE EXPO IS GOING ON! LOST ALOT OF GOOD EXPOSURE OPPROTUNITY FOR ALL OF US AND TALKING ABOUT WHAT WE ALL DO!:mad:
OK I will bite...
Sure this isn't a Maniac issue as opposed of course to an EO issue?
Did you already not have your 15 min of fame?
Either way I don't think I could care less...Jus Sayin...
Not sure I want you representing the likes of me on a national stage.
PS.... Don't hate just kick the caps key till the light goes out:rolleyes:
PSS... I like Bubba

Last edited:

MANIAC

Seasoned Expediter
Nope, not my issue, and i don't need 15 minutes of fame! Got a good relationship with steve and bubba and can go on the air at any time! Things that we do for the industry is not about us, never has been never will!

Monty

Expert Expediter
If you wish to get my attention on the radio, try xm Patriot channel, or "Prime Country" ... it about all I listen too.

I lost interest in am radio way back when Steve's daddy was doing the overnight show.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
BECAUSE NO ADVERTISING DOLLARS WERE SPENT WITH 700 WLW, WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO SO!

Ah ... I think this is BS.

Who's we?

The show has ads they have to fulfill, but outside of that, the host has the latitude to plug events - a lot of radio hosts do that all the time.

I think the hosts are just messing with you, or they have crappy ratings and the station manager has them on a short leash.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
wlw doesn't realize they are losing out on potential 5000 new listeners? I usually listen to whatever country radio station I can find on the road, but if I was at the expo and someone was broadcasting a show about trucking, I might have been inclined to listen as I didn't know there were trucking shows on the radio.

The expo is also for people who've never been in the business and are looking to enter it. If the two hosts were willing to travel there on their own dime and record their show for there, basically wlw is losing out on free advertising to a new "captivated" market.

Last edited:

MANIAC

Seasoned Expediter
SEEING THAT GREG IS SUCH AN EXPERT ON RADIO, HE MUST BE THE "GOTO" MAN FOR ANSWERS!
SINDY AND I (WE) HAVE BEEN TRYING TO INCORPORATE THE EXPEDITE INDUSTRY INTO 700 WLW "AMERICA'S TRUCKIN' NETWORK" PROGRAMMING FOR TWO YEARS NOW.
JIM STADTMILLER FROM 700 WLW WAS AT THE EXPO LAST YEAR! SEVERAL SPONSORS ADVERTISE ON 700 WLW BUT TO BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY GET EXPEDITING ON THE "MAP" AT 700 WLW ITS GOING TO TAKE ADVERTISING DOLLARS!
I HAVE TRIED TO GET JIM AND LAWRENCE TOGETHER, BUT TO NO SUCCESS FOR SOME REASON! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter
"Squirrel" has one foucs .... MONEY! That's what they pay him for, (in comissions) .... some of you may remember RJ Taylor, and "Ol Blue".

A 1951 Kenworth that appeared for many years at all the major truck shows. Usually working with law enforcement, to promote both safety and understanding between the two groups, (truckers and LEO).

RJ, in th early years was always invitged to visit with Bozo on the show, Then Jim (Squirrel), realized they were not accomplishing anything towards Bozo's 401K .... and those times came farther and farther apart.

Maybe I should state it this way, do you haul freight for free?

Maybe that is also WLW's take, pay us, we'll do it?

And, btw, what good does it do to type in all caps? No one likes to be yelled at.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Well the expert curmudgen speaks again, and as always, he knows better then those involved...:rolleyes:

H*ll yes its about sponorship/advertising dollars, as was asked, "do you haule freight for free?" Poor ratngs??? Please....yes the on air personality has some sway as to plugging certain events, but in this case their is a line in the sand from station management...You want to hear about the "Epediting Niche" in the Trucking Industry" on a National Trucking show, with a live broadcast from a live event, then sponsor/advertising dollars make a difference...as it should be....

As for WLW worrying about losing listeners, if you already don't know about WLW and there programs, chances are they aren't worried about you....

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I believe a arrangement is already in place with Dave Nemo since that is advertised on the expo website. Hey, I've been on his show before. As for Sommers, never been on his show, but did go on a cruise with him and his wife. Both are different types of shows with their own audience.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
SINDY AND I (WE) HAVE BEEN TRYING TO INCORPORATE THE EXPEDITE INDUSTRY INTO 700 WLW "AMERICA'S TRUCKIN' NETWORK" PROGRAMMING FOR TWO YEARS NOW.

JIM STADTMILLER FROM 700 WLW WAS AT THE EXPO LAST YEAR! SEVERAL SPONSORS ADVERTISE ON 700 WLW BUT TO BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY GET EXPEDITING ON THE "MAP" AT 700 WLW ITS GOING TO TAKE ADVERTISING DOLLARS!

Tell wlw

if-you-build-it-they-will-come.png

If you build it, they will come.

If they promoted expediting, they'd probably be the first radio station to cater to expediting and thus be the first place for companies that expediting vendors would go to advertise.

However sounds like wlw would rather cut off their nose to spite their face.

WE WERE GOING TO GO IN STUDIO WITH HIM FOR THE FRIDAY NIGHT SHOW AND PROMOTE THE EXPO! BUT, BECAUSE NO ADVERTISING DOLLARS WERE SPENT WITH 700 WLW, WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO SO!

It wasn't going to cost wlw anything but they refuse to allow the show to be done there? Pretty silly and childish behaviour.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know guys, it seems to me that you need to get your heads out of your ,,,,, and think for a moment.

The show is about trucking, there are different subjects they can talk about and putting a plug or two into the shows contents is done often on different shows. For that matter, even call ins are allowed to plug different events, like MATS and Wounded Warriors. It does not happen at the station level but at the show level. If they wanted to talk about the expo, they could, just like they could talk about the weather unless the shows producer and hosts are in such a bad way with the station management where the show is completely in control.

I still call it BS.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Unless I miss my guess, and I think I'm right on the money ... EO is a "for profit" operation. Should EO provide free advertising to, say, Landstar, or Load 1?

I know that is why Truck,Net failed, they begged for favors, but hardly ever returned them.

The folks here at EO seem to have the situation under control, why not allow them to handle the business end of the deal, and not sour WLW from ever mentioning them again?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I still call it BS.
As someone who had a brother who was a station manager and program director at the top station in a top 25 market, I can tell you unequivocally that it's not BS. The Expo may be an event, but it's a commercial event, and they aren't likely to devote in-studio interviews and plug-time for the Expedite Expo any more than they would the boat show event, the home builders show event, or any other convention center type event unless advertising dollars are spent at the station. At most, they might make a brief mention of it because it might interest a small portion of their audience (and even that's doubtful unless one or more of the Expo vendors is also an advertiser on the station, and that vendor asked them to do a plug), but they aren't going to devote a half hour or more for exclusive on-air time to promote a sliver subsection of the industry for a commercial event that isn't advertised on the station.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes turtle but I do still say BS - not what was said by Manic but the excuse made he was given.

I wasn't talking about a 15/30 minute spot, but a mention and an overview of the event for 10/15 seconds may be all that is needed and most of the time that happens often.

The radio show isn't a general audience show, if I remember it is a show that is targeting a specific demographic within a specific industry which has very limited events to begin with. A small audience at that.

It could have been a "what's happening around town" segment like many stations do and they don't ask for money to plug an event, like the arts expo (which can be commercial but a community event) that is promoted on several stations at the same time and usually picked up by a press release. A lot of commercial events are included in those segments that are interest to the audience, one example is the SAE conference and WWJ, SAE buys air time from their competitor - WJR - but the event is announced on WWJ as part of their "Happening in Detroit" segment they air a few times a day.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes turtle but I do still say BS - not what was said by Manic but the excuse made he was given.
Well, you can believe him or not, that's your call. But considering he said he was going to be in-studio for the Friday night show to promote the Expo, the reason he gave for that not happening is consistent with how things work in radio.

I wasn't talking about a 15/30 minute spot, but a mention and an overview of the event for 10/15 seconds may be all that is needed and most of the time that happens often.
He wasn't either. He was talking about a significant amount of time, in-studio, to promote the Expo.

The radio show isn't a general audience show, if I remember it is a show that is targeting a specific demographic within a specific industry which has very limited events to begin with. A small audience at that.
Small is subjective, I suppose. The demographic is truckers who listen to the radio on the weekends. Not exactly general audience, but it's still general trucking audience.

It could have been a "what's happening around town" segment like many stations do and they don't ask for money to plug an event...
Like the "Swap Shop" or the "Community Calendar" of local radio. Except The America's Trucking Network isn't exactly local radio. Flagship station WLW is a Clear Channel broadcast station that covers much of the eastern half of the US, and the show is also carried SiriusXM nationwide. The topics discussed are wide ranging, but all still of interest to a general trucking audience: weather, fuel prices, traffic, NASCAR, political and legal news affecting the trucking industry, and general trucker chat. The expedite segment really isn't all that interesting to the vast majority of truckers out there.

The Expedite Expo may very well get a mention or two, but no serious time will be devoted to it, that's for sure, not unless the advertising dollars are there.