So have I understood this correctly from reading old posts?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Van drivers are better looking and have more hair on their heads. :D

Whichever you decide to drive probably the single biggest factor on the type of money you make will be the company you drive for, especially as a solo. Although there are exceptions to every rule, in general if in a van anytime you drive for a company that limits the hours you can drive you are going to see your income limited.

guido4475

Not a Member
Van drivers are better looking and have more hair on their heads. :D

Whichever you decide to drive probably the single biggest factor on the type of money you make will be the company you drive for, especially as a solo. Although there are exceptions to every rule, in general if in a van anytime you drive for a company that limits the hours you can drive you are going to see your income limited.

Then what happened to OVM ???? lmao...

guido4475

Not a Member
hey gang,,,u can buy those expense logs at the truck stop and list every nickel u spend and at the end of the month u can have a heart attack like I do,,lol,,,but without a expense ledger u really have no clue,,,an easy way to list ur expenses is get a spiral notebook and enter each days expenses, either way u will still get heart burn,,acid reflux,and congestive heart failure, and eventually a nervous breakdown,,,but I still love it out here, and I just got my 50 cal. roof mounts today too,,,life is good. sky

That is why I track any and all expenses, to see at the end of the month where I can make cuts at to reduce my expenses, without hurting myself.I try to look at those numbers in a positive way,and see what can be done to change them,if un satisfactory.

guido4475

Not a Member
Guido...you telling Cheri she doesn't know her butt from a hole in the ground because she really doesn't know what it takes to run a truck because she has never owned one? gee whiz...

Whoa...there,Buckaroo! I never mentioned Cheri in that post ! Please, I dont need any more Guido haters than I can handle at one time..lol..

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There is no right or wrong answer unless you know the rates of what you are comparing. A van could be a better choice IF you are comparing it to a carrier that pays bottom feeder rates (they know who they are) of around a dollar a mile. Many straights run well above that if just looking at numbers whether solo or team. If I was to run a solo straight truck for a year, I don't believe a van would come anywhere close to touching the revenue or net income.
There's my penny in the pond.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
hey gang,,,u can buy those expense logs at the truck stop and list every nickel u spend and at the end of the month u can have a heart attack like I do,,lol,,,but without a expense ledger u really have no clue,,,an easy way to list ur expenses is get a spiral notebook and enter each days expenses, either way u will still get heart burn,,acid reflux,and congestive heart failure, and eventually a nervous breakdown,,,but I still love it out here, and I just got my 50 cal. roof mounts today too,,,life is good. sky

Where did you get your 50 cal mounts? Are they the new ones' with the vibration dampers on them like the Army uses?:D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Guido...you telling Cheri she doesn't know her butt from a hole in the ground because she really doesn't know what it takes to run a truck because she has never owned one? gee whiz...

If so, he is [again] only making himself look dumb by trying to make someone else look dumb, without having all the facts.
I have been an O/O - I know what's involved. That I prefer to drive for an owner isn't because I am ignorant, it's because I am smart enough to identify my own strengths and weaknesses, and plan accordingly.
I will probably never again drive t/t or own the vehicle I drive, and if some think that makes me 'less than', oh well - can't please everyone, can we?

guido4475

Not a Member
If so, he is [again] only making himself look dumb by trying to make someone else look dumb, without having all the facts.
I have been an O/O - I know what's involved. That I prefer to drive for an owner isn't because I am ignorant, it's because I am smart enough to identify my own strengths and weaknesses, and plan accordingly.
I will probably never again drive t/t or own the vehicle I drive, and if some think that makes me 'less than', oh well - can't please everyone, can we?

Cheri, like I said, earlier, Was youre name mentioned? NO. And then you slam me by saying I am making myself look dumb again? Maybe we ought to take a look at youre MVR instead,Mrs.bridge relocator, tree branch remover..And you have the nerve to call me dumb on something that you were not mentioned on? I know from a very reliable source alot more about youre performance than you may know.It astounds me that you actually still have a job..Remember, you called me out first on this, so I am returning the favor,truthfully..Bring it on.Continue to embarrass youreself.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cheri, like I said, earlier, Was youre name mentioned? NO.
As OVM said, even an idiot could see who you were referring to - and that's without knowing of your habit of posting what you consider embarrassing items about members who have disagreed with you.
And then you slam me by saying I am making myself look dumb again?
Yep. You didn't look too smart when you attempted to embarrass Turtle, and you don't look too smart now, either, IMO.
Maybe we ought to take a look at youre MVR instead,Mrs.bridge relocator, tree branch remover..
Why do you think this is relevant to the subject? Does it have anything to do with the difference between income and comfort of s/t vs c/v? Nope - you just want to 'show off' by posting what you think makes me look bad, instead of arguing with what I said.

And you have the nerve to call me dumb on something that you were not mentioned on? I know from a very reliable source alot more about youre performance than you may know.
I'm sure it would surprise you to know that that happens to be mutual. Except I wouldn't post it, because it's not relevant. So far.
It astounds me that you actually still have a job..
Now you're getting into libel territory, so I'd suggest you reread what Turtle wrote on the subject when you slimed him - words have consequences, remember?
Remember, you called me out first on this,
Where?
so I am returning the favor,truthfully..Bring it on.Continue to embarrass youreself.
I'm not the least bit embarrassed by the comments you make - but I am getting tired of defending myself against your puerile attacks, same as Turtle.
If you have any argument against what I've SAID, feel free to post it. Otherwise, you're over the line, and [besides looking like a petulant child] totally out of line.

carmi777

Seasoned Expediter
wow..lol..what happened? logged in to co check for any new posts/advice. Did learn one thing from this, there's more of a hate/judgmental environment than a brotherhood or sisterhood in the expedite world. I do thank you all though. Got the gist of what everyone is generally saying.

1) In general for truck will beat out van in revenue/net profit (in long term using formula of same driver,same work ethic, same %of just right place right time luck. Even in break even senario, comfort of truck outweighs hassle of truck/logs,etc.

2) BUT that can vary depending on the company if its a strong company for vans.

3) Or if it is one of the bottom feeder rate expediting companies.

4) you'll never make any descent income driving a van for someone else.

5) o/o of a van can generate good net income if he does the less-than-glamorous work of watching expenses, knowing what his true cost to run per mile is, tracking where your money is going and make adjustments, be willing to sacrifice little bit of comfort for long term payoff, as opposed to just turning the key and holding the wheel and stepping on the gas...it is a business after all.

6) There's absolutely nothing wrong with driving for an owner. This too has it's own advantages.

So........who are those bottom feeder co. in the expedite world?
The traditional trucker websites don't hold back on who's there are: C.R. England, Prime. They may have differing opinions on other companies, but these are the unanimous companies that will come up to 100% on companies to stay away from no matter who the driver is or what the website is.

Who are the Primes and CR England's of the expedite world?

Hey guys just want to say your advice, even if contradicting each other does help, so thank you.

guido4475

Not a Member
Like I said before-Youre name was not even mentioned in my original post, but yet, you made this what it is by thinking so-

Why are you bringing that (The disagreement Turtle and I had into this?) When it has nothing to do with this to begin with.

What right do you have to call me dumb in the first place?This is not the first time you have done this-outright called me something when I havent name-called you anything to begin with-you have a set of balls on you for even doing so.

I was using the word "performance as in reference to youre MVR.Once again,I will gladly and proudly hold mine up to yours anyday.I have only been involved in one accident since I started driving in 1989.No tickets,passed every dot inspection since then.Have you?

Libel territory-for what, telling the truth? Maybe it is YOU that better remember that.And yes,words do have consequenses.Dont forget that.

Attacks? This is the only arguement we have had, to the best of my knowledge, besides the other time,when you outright callled me a "Jerk" in reference to me simply asking why TJP didnt get a temp job while his van was down.

Petulant child--It looks like you have the dictionary out again...lol..

I'm done with this one.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Hahhahahhahaaa...

Good stuff.

I have a lot more fun in my lowly cargo van than I ever did in any of my straight trucks or my tractor. Bottom line for me now is this: its super cheap and easy to get home, and I can park it inside my garage.

I am an accomplished camper and sleep outdoors in a hammock during the warm months. I don't need a microwave. I use a good sleeping bag and the van is insulated, no espar required. Air mattress and foam pad rolls up small. Portable toilet on board and a camp stove along with a good old fashioned ice chest. ALL this gear fits in the front seat just in case I ever need the entire cargo area for CARGO.... which happens only rarely.

I work for myself, taking loads from a growing list of vendors ie. Courier companies, brokers and a few clients I bill directly. I own 4 straight trucks that run local in California and I now live in Georgia.

I'm having a great time and earning a nice comfortable living. I get to satisfy my wanderlust and balance it with plenty of home time.

Key item for me: I take a lot of loads that others refuse during periods of heavy weather. I drove across Tennessee the other day when that state was practically shut down, covered in sheets of ice. I don't think I ever saw so many wrecks and Jack knifed rigs in my life. Slow and steady and I got $2.00 a mile in both directions and I never even had to put my chains on.

Plenty of people call me crazy for doing things like that.... crazy like a fox going to the bank with a fat wad of cash and now Mrs Fox has a chunky new diamond ring and Mr fox gets to order those new headlights for his motorcycle ....

It is 100% what you make of it.

fired at you from my Droideka

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Hahhahahhahaaa...

Good stuff.

I have a lot more fun in my lowly cargo van than I ever did in any of my straight trucks or my tractor. Bottom line for me now is this: its super cheap and easy to get home, and I can park it inside my garage.

I am an accomplished camper and sleep outdoors in a hammock during the warm months. I don't need a microwave. I use a good sleeping bag and the van is insulated, no espar required. Air mattress and foam pad rolls up small. Portable toilet on board and a camp stove along with a good old fashioned ice chest. ALL this gear fits in the front seat just in case I ever need the entire cargo area for CARGO.... which happens only rarely.

I work for myself, taking loads from a growing list of vendors ie. Courier companies, brokers and a few clients I bill directly. I own 4 straight trucks that run local in California and I now live in Georgia.

I'm having a great time and earning a nice comfortable living. I get to satisfy my wanderlust and balance it with plenty of home time.

Key item for me: I take a lot of loads that others refuse during periods of heavy weather. I drove across Tennessee the other day when that state was practically shut down, covered in sheets of ice. I don't think I ever saw so many wrecks and Jack knifed rigs in my life. Slow and steady and I got $2.00 a mile in both directions and I never even had to put my chains on.

Plenty of people call me crazy for doing things like that.... crazy like a fox going to the bank with a fat wad of cash and now Mrs Fox has a chunky new diamond ring and Mr fox gets to order those new headlights for his motorcycle ....

It is 100% what you make of it.

Ok===there 039, u must be one tough dude. Sleeping outside in the summer in a hammock, ( bugs, lizzards and skunks omy). You did not mention heat in the winter, just the super sleeping bag and airmattress, yep one tough dude.

I am taking some of the stuff u r doing under consideration . I have a built in bunk in my cv, and a generator on the back of the van( I may take that off for now,,been using truck stop microwave to heat chili and stuff. I got lazy lately and ate out to much. I tried my coleman stove 2 years ago. It did do the job,,but IMHO, to much trouble( may reconsider that too.)

I will keep in mind what u r doing as far as creature comforts go,,I will run my window air in the summer and will need my generator for that,,I gotta have one creature comfort for summer,,I dont do heat well anymore , lol. PS- I use a Mr. Heater in the winter,dont do cold well either.:D

Your plan works for u and thats all that counts. Some folks our here got everything but a swimming pool in their rides, guess u use the creeks when u camp,,not a bad idea there.

Be safe,,oh,,there are bears in them thar hills too.:eek:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let it be known before you all jump on my *ss, not looking for ownership now, want to gain my experience and make sure expediting does fit (looked great in the store but when I got it home...). I'm just looking into the future so I have a feel what direction I want to go.

Thanks again everyone.

I thought somewhere you asked about being an employee of an expedite company, but I can't find the post. Below is a link to an expedite company that runs company equipment. I don't know much about them other than I have seen them on the road and they have terminals in Chicago, Rockfish, Milwaukee and other midwest cities.

Straight Shot Express

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I have given strong consideration to building a bunk in the van but when it comes down to it I just don't find it necessary. The air mattress inflates and deflates very quickly with the hand held battery powered pump. The van is well insulated so with a 0-degree mummy bag I really don't get cold. I installed a remote starter package myself and if its cold when I wake up I can start the van and the heater before I exit the sleeping bag. My hammock has a bug net the zips shut all the way around so the critters can't get in. I only need one tree or pole for the hammock because the other end ties off to the upper left rear corner of the van.

I love the outdoors and I have a portable shower I can bring with me if necessary. I don't use truck stop showers. Many state parks and campgrounds have a "day use" area for a reduced fee and a lot of them have showers with pretty much unlimited hot water.

Gas stations and truck stops have microwaves that anybody can use and the single burner propane stove handles 99% of my cooking needs.

Honestly, I mostly eat yogurt and granola, and low sodium jerky on the road. Vitamin supplements with thermogenic capsules keep me balanced and aware. 4-5 hours of sleep per day and I'm good for a leisurely 1000 miles a day with no problems. If I keep it under 60mph I get up to 19mpg in the van fully loaded. 70 gallon fuel capacity means I really don't have to pay the gouger prices for gas in small towns and I can range out over 1100 miles before I even start looking for fuel.

Many years of trial and error have landed me where I am and enjoying it immensely.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Like I said before-Youre name was not even mentioned in my original post, but yet, you made this what it is by thinking so-
Already addressed - you have a reading comprehension problem?

Why are you bringing that (The disagreement Turtle and I had into this?) When it has nothing to do with this to begin with.
It shows your tactic of attacking not the opinion you disagree with, but the person - and doing it in an underhanded way, bringing up something outside the scope of the argument altogether, solely to embarrass them. As Turtle said: real classy.

What right do you have to call me dumb in the first place?
Another reading comprehension problem on your part: I didn't call you dumb, I said you're making yourself look dumb. Again.
This is not the first time you have done this-outright called me something when I havent name-called you anything to begin with-you have a set of balls on you for even doing so.
No comment - aint touching that one.

I was using the word "performance as in reference to youre MVR.Once again,I will gladly and proudly hold mine up to yours anyday.I have only been involved in one accident since I started driving in 1989.No tickets,passed every dot inspection since then.Have you?
Irrelevant. My MVR [on which there is one accident, listed as the other driver's fault] is not at issue, any more than your obesity would be.

Libel territory-for what, telling the truth?
The truth isn't what you're telling, nor is it what you're interested in - you're repeating hearsay, and that can come back to haunt you.
Maybe it is YOU that better remember that.And yes,words do have consequenses.Dont forget that.

Attacks? This is the only arguement we have had, to the best of my knowledge, besides the other time,when you outright callled me a "Jerk" in reference to me simply asking why TJP didnt get a temp job while his van was down.

Petulant child--It looks like you have the dictionary out again...lol..
Just another lame attempt at sniping: I rarely need a dictionary. When I do, I don't hesitate to use it, unlike some people who ought to make use of it, if only to spell correctly. So they don't look dumb[er] than they already do.

I'm done with this one.
Uh huh.:rolleyes: