Tri-state vans

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Running bigger miles has a lot to do with what your body is used to. If you normally run 1000 miles a week then jump up to 2500 yea it can be tough. If your body is adapted to longer miles it just is not that big of deal. You learn how to manage your time and sleep. Almost all loads have enough time built in that on longer loads you can build in a few hours nap time. My goal every week is 2500 miles. Been behind that this last couple months but last year i ran that and more consistently. My deadhead is incredibly low so that does help.

Exactly. I gain enough time for plenty of naps on long runs. Adaptation to long periods of driving is mostly psychological. Keeping a positive attitude and pacing one's self make a huge difference. Complaining doesn't pay the bills. Negativity defeats many before they even get started. Eat at least one really good meal everyday and get an XM radio.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
From Feb 17th to March 12( about 25 days) I ran 9931 loaded miles, solo in a van. Busiest period I have seen in 10 years. Mixed in that were several long runs to Laredo and California, then back East. Of course, expediting companies will now flood the market with more vans. It's as predictable as the sunrise.

I was on a similar rip in February until I went into the shop. Not much deadhead either. I knew it would be a temporary thing but wanted to get what could be got.

eb

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Why do you think that freight is picking up??? Panther , Nations or other companies add more vans since early 2009.... TriState add vans not because the freight is picking up ,they add ad vans because a lot of o/o left the company or reduce their fleet....

Have to agree. The only reason for Tri-State, or any carrier for that matter, to add CV's is to replace those that have left for whatever reason. Doesn't mean that freight is picking up.

Another way to look at it is rates. Most carriers that dropped their rates when the economy tanked find that it is easier to put new vehicles on instead of bringing their rates back up.

The more vehicles a carrier has available, the better their chances of getting the freight covered at the lower rate. Bottom line, someone will take it.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
That is why you likely won't see much movement on the "whine for the dime" campaign unless they struggle to add additional units.
I dont think the carriers will have much trouble finding new vanners so the whine for the dime crowd better get use to the fact that they are not going to see that dime again.

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
I met 2 TriState drivers last week...One team who got only one offer cancelled in 5 days and another who got 200 miles...Maybe they know their business better than us...
For Aristotel :) don't kiss to much *** at Bolt

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see my dime is getting much play time...;)

The fact that straight fleet owners are now offered as much as .08 a loaded mile BONUS just to sign on....I know exactly where my dime is going...

Thats life..I'll make do...:)

guido4475

Not a Member
I'll be going to a Express -1 orientation on the 22nd ;)....finally caught my big break...Thanks to all who were involved in this...I owe ya'll a steak dinner...Honestly I mean that Thanks I am so Thankful :D

Good things come to those who wait:I am so glad you have been blessed by what has happened recently.I always had a feeling your never-ending patience would pay off real quick, and it has.I just regret I wasnt able to help you out in some way.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Originally Posted by tjpohio44
I'll be going to a Express -1 orientation on the 22nd ....finally caught my big break...Thanks to all who were involved in this...I owe ya'll a steak dinner...Honestly I mean that Thanks I am so Thankful

HEY TJP!! Congrats!! Glad this worked out for you....I know you will make it worth while for all involved....Again, Congrats!!:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
According to my sources...
2 different Tristate van drivers/owners....
of late dispatchers are caught loading around the vans onto straights, supposedly to keep the straights busy and to plug the leak of straights from leaving....
vans are disposable...now they find themselves short of vans...wonder why?

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
I spoke with a friend who's driving a S/T and he's getting 20 lb freight with 90 CPM..and the cargo vans are starving .. thank you TriState

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Chef, it really means a lot to me....:D Can't wait to start...My boss didn't like it when I told him I was done...But, I had to do what was best for me...:cool: An Guido, thanks man... Ill see ya'll in a brand new 2010 Sprinter with E-1 on the sides...;)

Last edited by a moderator:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Chef, it really means a lot to me....:D Can't wait to start...My boss didn't like it when I told him I was done...But, I had to do what was best for me...:cool: An Guido, thanks man... Ill see ya'll in a brand new 2010 Sprinter with E-1 on the sides...;)

Tell Kyle you only want the doors done in decals....not the rolling billboard...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
OVM wrote:

Tell Kyle you only want the doors done in decals....not the rolling billboard...

YES!!!!! Keep it small...

PS:

OVM, I am sittin here at the "J" in Gary next to a "Thompson Emergency" Sprinter with the American/Canadian "Crossed flags" on the ft fenders and the back door and a Ontario plate on it....now i have seen 2 sprinters with those "crossed flags" :D

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You should do whatever you want to do since it's your vehicle. If you want to really emphasize your decision and perhaps company pride get every decal they can offer. If you just want to run freight get what's mandatory and be on your way. Bottom line, it's your choice to make.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
By and large, most carriers will dispatch around a cargo van to keep a straight truck loaded, moving and happy. Cargo vans are a dime a dozen, straight trucks are much harder to recruit and keep. If you drive a cargo van (or a Sprinter), you must come to terms with this one simple fact of expediting life.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Turtle wrote:

By and large, most carriers will dispatch around a cargo van to keep a straight truck loaded, moving and happy. Cargo vans are a dime a dozen, straight trucks are much harder to recruit and keep. If you drive a cargo van (or a Sprinter), you must come to terms with this one simple fact of expediting life.

What Turtle said.....:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Completely agree....Cargo Vans are the bottom of the food chain...we are predator bait...:D