Tri-state vans

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Freight must be picking up because TRI-STATE has unlocked the gates and are now adding more vans starting on Monday. I wonder if the other expedite companies will follow suit?

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Freight must be picking up because TRI-STATE has unlocked the gates and are now adding more vans starting on Monday. I wonder if the other expedite companies will follow suit?

Why do you think that freight is picking up??? Panther , Nations or other companies add more vans since early 2009.... TriState add vans not because the freight is picking up ,they add ad vans because a lot of o/o left the company or reduce their fleet....

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I know that they have a limit of 200 vans and when this number is going down to 180 or less they hire more vans until they reach the 200 vans...

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Looks like Tri-Start is following suit. Every Monday E-1 has'em starting. The number of vans I've been seeing, lots of them have signed on. All companies

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Tri-State has had a cap on vans for quite awhile now. yes, they have had addded vans a little at a time before but now they've opened the gates....

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll be going to a Express -1 orientation on the 22nd ;)....finally caught my big break...Thanks to all who were involved in this...I owe ya'll a steak dinner...Honestly I mean that Thanks I am so Thankful :D

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
Good luck
you need to quit sitting days on end waiting on that one long run
I saw you the other day at the flying j by the pizza stand

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I have two vans at TriState. It's kind of slow now,I don't know why they adding more vans . Maybe they want to become a company like Panther and have a van at every corner.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
From Feb 17th to March 12( about 25 days) I ran 9931 loaded miles, solo in a van. Busiest period I have seen in 10 years. Mixed in that were several long runs to Laredo and California, then back East. Of course, expediting companies will now flood the market with more vans. It's as predictable as the sunrise.
10 000 loaded miles in 25 days......It is almost unbelievable....If is true ,congratulations!What company are you lease with?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That would be a pretty grueling bunch of runs with some of them seeming to have pretty inadequate rest time in between them. No wonder we have bad health sometimes.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Like I mentioned, this was an anomaly. Normally, I run approx 7000 loaded miles per month. I go home alot, if the opportunity presents itself. I never, never run sleepy. I can operate when tired. But, never when sleepy. Naps help alot as well. I pull over and nap as needed.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Looks like a bunch of DH between those runs unless some runs are omitted.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wasn't suggesting anything negative, just observing it seems very grueling and some of them very close. It would be difficult to do and difficult not to do. It's great for the operator and also bad for the operator. By that I mean that it seems these companies see an excellent string of runs like that and sign on a bunch more vehicles to boost the string and wind up with a bunch of guys nearly starving. I know vehicle count is a tough call but it seems as if most companies err on the side of too many with minimal incentive needed to add more. After that great string of runs you deserve treating yourself to a day off and a nice steak dinner.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter

Indeed, there was lots of DH. I came home from Garland,TX. My wife tolerates this crazy lifestyle, so when she asks me to come home, I go. Lots of family business as well. Visited with my son who is in the USMC. Another thing, I sat for 5 days in Laredo in January. I will never do that again. So, I give my carrier 24-36 hours to find a load, then I move on my own. At 19mpg, I feel okay with some DH to move to a better freight location. Windshield zombie, I am not!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My first thought, as well. That many loaded miles, plus that much deadhead, equals not a whole lot of sleep.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Stellar numbers Aristotle....time to visit Ryder for a new van soon;). Good thing you're in shape, don't think I could've pulled that off. Must feel pretty good to have a month like that!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was thinking about making a post the other day asking if Tri State was still running vans. I have only seen maybe three in the last month. Think I've seen more of their straight trucks than vans.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Stellar numbers Aristotle....time to visit Ryder for a new van soon;). Good thing you're in shape, don't think I could've pulled that off. Must feel pretty good to have a month like that!

Thank you, Piper. My $4500 van grosses approx $6000 per month on average. I have difficulty convincing Sprinter owners this is a good ROI. To each his own, I suppose. My van has 260,000 miles on the 7.3L Powerstroke. I won't need another van til it reaches about 700,000 if past history is any indicator.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That would be a pretty grueling bunch of runs with some of them seeming to have pretty inadequate rest time in between them. No wonder we have bad health sometimes.

Running bigger miles has a lot to do with what your body is used to. If you normally run 1000 miles a week then jump up to 2500 yea it can be tough. If your body is adapted to longer miles it just is not that big of deal. You learn how to manage your time and sleep. Almost all loads have enough time built in that on longer loads you can build in a few hours nap time. My goal every week is 2500 miles. Been behind that this last couple months but last year i ran that and more consistently. My deadhead is incredibly low so that does help.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One thing I have noticed, or maybe just a cynical observation is that business is picking up for the larger carriers. Some of the smaller outfits are still struggling even with some over flow coming from the big three.
I think some are expanding their van count because they are struggling to put on straights or TT's. That pool is shrinking because tighter credit has shut many out of the process if they are new or have damaged credit. Straight truck sales are pretty much in the tank if any one has looked lately. For the carriers to maintain a similar margin to previous years, they are going to attempt it from another angle. For vanners, I would watch carefully that your prospective carrier doesn't overpopulate because if they do, you will endure a lot more nap time. Their ability to capture any additional revenue will be at the vanners expense.
That is why you likely won't see much movement on the "whine for the dime" campaign unless they struggle to add additional units.
Again, "just my penny in the pond".

Last edited: