December 2009 Location

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle,
That route up to Steamboat is awesome. Our last trip up that way looked like this
Killer pictures.
I really got really lucky. The whole way up Hwy 9 and then over to Steamboat Springs, things were right on the edge of becoming really bad really quick, but it never happened. But the roads were for the most part clear and very drivable. But you could tell that a day or two before, they weren't.

turtle there is a road inside the little red circle? even leading to it? looks like the toboggan runs we were sitting here chatting about tonite.
Yeah, it's a road. You look down there, and as the crow flies it's a mile down and about 5 miles out, then you think, "Holy crap it's 15 road miles to get there. Saddle up, Pilgrim. We're burnin' daylight!"

Then you get there and find there's something to see 'round every corner....

IMG_0488small.jpg

Jeremiah Johnson slept here. Probably not in that guest house, tho.

you get all the kewl loads.;)
That's because other people are smart enough to turn them down. :)

IMG_0493small.jpg

Because it's important to know what road you're on.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
IMG_0499small.jpg

The valley at the southwestern base of Monarch Mountain.

IMG_0500small.jpg

Another shot of the valley. Only 10 miles to Monarch Summit.
A few minutes after taking this one, I went to the tree line to take another picture. I was holding on to one of the trees, then made the mistake of letting go. Both feet flew out from under me and I slid 30 feet down the embankment on a cushion of knee-deep snow. If I had had a snowboard it would have been fun, instead I had to trudge back up and change my pants.

IMG_0489small.jpg

Uhm, what the sign says.

IMG_0490small.jpg

NO PLACE IN AMERICA HAS THE VIEW YOU WILL SEE FROM THE TOP. TAKE CAMERAS.
Ride to top of Continental Divide takes 15 min round trip, or stay longer in Observation Room.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
IMG_0498small.jpg

The top of the Continental Divide.

IMG_0494small.jpg

Headin' down the mountain, 6% Grade for the next 10 miles.
On the right you can see a beautiful illustration of the epochs of our planet.
You can clearly see the Triassic Period, the Jurassic Period, the Guardrailassic Period, the Cenozoic Period and finally the present.

Last edited:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Got a load from Indiana to Laredo, was hoping to see that love sponge TjpOhio here ! I think that was Jenny and her husband in a dark-Colored Ford van that drove by me at the J with a dog in it. I was admiring the aluminum wheels and chrome bumpers on it.Hoping to get a load out of here asap to make this an excellent week,then 1 more load next week early to get home and take the rest of the year off.I'm in the Ford van with the blue stripes down the side.Trying to get rid of a dry, irritated throught. I saw Suzie heading north on 35 as I was coming into town.

Nope, no chrome bumpers or aluminum wheels here. Just our big ol sprinter. We left Laredo on Thursday.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just sitting here at home looking at 2000 dollars in dental work to get my mouth in order. That is with a 2k discount from my discount dental insurance plan. lol. I don't recommend skipping out on dental visits for 16 years unless you want to become a cast member on HeeHaw.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Just sitting here at home looking at 2000 dollars in dental work to get my mouth in order. That is with a 2k discount from my discount dental insurance plan. lol. I don't recommend skipping out on dental visits for 16 years unless you want to become a cast member on HeeHaw.

Exactly, what I tell my Wife. She hasn't been in over 15 years, and yes she still has all her teeth, just like her dad who hasn't been in over 30 year(maybe they are just lucky) I think she was tramatized by a dentist when she was small. Dentists,dental work is totally different then 20 years ago.
On that note I usually go every 6 months, but it has been two years since my last visit, more of a time issue then a money issue:cool:
Note to self, quit procrastinating and just make the **** appointment

guido4475

Not a Member
Mankato, MN to Oshkosh, Wi. Got this one 1 hour after I pod'd on the last one.At least it is bringing me closer to home.

guido4475

Not a Member

I have a bad problem of being scared to death of the dentist as well, as some of you that met me can see.There will come a time very soon when I will go and have them put me to sleep and rip what is left out and fit me for dentures and hopefully be done with it.Is it true that people that wear dentures have longer tongues?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a bad problem of being scared to death of the dentist as well, as some of you that met me can see.There will come a time very soon when I will go and have them put me to sleep and rip what is left out and fit me for dentures and hopefully be done with it.Is it true that people that wear dentures have longer tongues?

Yeah..I had a buddy that could wet down his eye brows:eek:

BTW...he did have one happy wife...:p

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Loaded out of Timberwood, NC this afternoon, bound for Sterling Heights, MI. US 58 up to I-77 in VA ..... not one I would really recommend ...... particularly at night, and after the recent weather (they were calling for black ice formation - glad I was going up rather than coming down it)

At the J in Sunbury, OH for a little nap and then on to MI in the morning .... this likely will be my last load for the year.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Loaded out of Timberwood, NC this afternoon, bound for Sterling Heights, MI. US 58 up to I-77 in VA ..... not one I would really recommend ...... particularly at night, and after the recent weather (they were calling for black ice formation - glad I was going up rather than coming down it)

At the J in Sunbury, OH for a little nap and then on to MI in the morning .... this likely will be my last load for the year.

Yeah..go home..the U.S. won't fall apart because you are not out there, trying to save some company because someone made a mistake..**LOL*:D;)

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Laredo, TX trying to get a load going towards Ohio for Christmas....Anything??? Anything out there?????? guess not....I'll probably end up deadheading and spending 250 to get home....this sucks.