Chevy Van brakes problem

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Chevy Cargo van 2500 from 2005.
When I push the brakes the van starts shaking. Everybody told me it's the rotors. Today I changed both front rotors but when I push the brakes it's still shaking. If I do not press the brakes it doesn't shake. Can somebody advice me what could the problem be?Thanks

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You replaced both front rotors and it still shakes......do you feel the shake in the steering wheel (as in it wants to turn the wheel).

greg334

Veteran Expediter
First thing I always ask - did you change the pads too?

I know a lot of people skip this step but it is very important for the pads to be changed at the same time.

Also knowing that some vehicles had rear brakes at one time :p, did you pull the drums (or rotors) and have them checked?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
you didn't say what gvw the van is, if i am right the 8600 lb gvw has the same 8 lug press on rotors as the 9600 lb 1 ton van ,if the rotors are the type i think they are, yes change the pds and alos..make sure that the rotor is flush with the hub face...they come off with 2 bolts that you screw into the face of the rotor and hit against the face of the hub. Rust will get between them and can cause the rotor to not sit flush or flat against the hub....the old rotors were warpped, and that will also cause high and low spots on the pads tht will cause the shake. I can tell you my 1 ton did the same thing when i replaced the hubs, until i took it back apart and made sure it all went together clean and square,,,,

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Yes you should change the pads any irregular wear caused by the old rotors may cause vibration plus the pads may wear the new rotors faster.
Also, check your front suspension, jack up the van check wheel bearings, check your tie rods, check everything up there for looseness.
And if your van did come with rear brakes :p check those too!!!

guido4475

Not a Member
As suggested here before, always change the pads with a new set of rotors.Also, did you torque the lugnuts? or just use an impact. Sometimes that does make a difference.Another question that comes to my mind is, where did you buy the rotors from? From a quality auto parts store like Napa, or someplace that cant find a part if it is not in the computer? There is a big difference in rotors from places like this, you get what you pay for.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't add anymore than whats been said, Get a Top of line set of Pads and that should take care of the Problem, Also Change the Slide Bolts, I just had 2 snap on my 03 Savanna 2500, and A month ago another Driver I know with a 03 Chevy 3500 had 2 snap on his van, Neither Time were we braking hard or under a load, Just Snapped then a awlful Rattle.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got 375,000 on the original front pads. I did have a shaking problem like you described. My mechanic found a loose or sheared pin or bolt that supports the caliper assembly. When the brakes were applied the caliper assembly would move, causing the shaking. I don't have the work order with me that describes what he replaced. The pads and rotors were in good shape.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
With 375K you probably had some metal fatigue going there
:eek:
I'm not familar with the Chevy Express brakes but if the pin you are talking about is the one that acts like a hinge once you remove the bolt from the caliper. Make sure it is snug and not loose unless this is the pin that the caliper slides on then make sure it slides on that pin, use some brake caliper lube.
Not sure the type of caliper this van uses, since I have never done brakes on a Chevy Express

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
again not knowing the gvw creates an issue, the 8 lug wheel on the 8600 lb gvw chassis has sealed wheel bearing like the 1 ton van, they can not be adjusted. they are sealed in the hub...

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
again not knowing the gvw creates an issue, the 8 lug wheel on the 8600 lb gvw chassis has sealed wheel bearing like the 1 ton van, they can not be adjusted. they are sealed in the hub...
They are the same on the 2500 with 6 lugs.

guido4475

Not a Member
The sealed bearing thing must be on a G.M.,because every Ford I have worked on, (van , pickup,) has the wheel-bearing cap that you take off in order to get to the cotter pin,and a couple of washers, cotter-pin retainer, and then pull the bearings out,then the rotor comes off.Of course, I havent worked on a G.M. product in years, so it's hard to say what has changed.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With 375K you probably had some metal fatigue going there
:eek:
I'm not familar with the Chevy Express brakes but if the pin you are talking about is the one that acts like a hinge once you remove the bolt from the caliper. Make sure it is snug and not loose unless this is the pin that the caliper slides on then make sure it slides on that pin, use some brake caliper lube.
Not sure the type of caliper this van uses, since I have never done brakes on a Chevy Express

A month ago I would have agreed 100% Friends Van has 500,000 Miles with the Orinagal Slide Bolts, My van has 400,000 and has had Front brakes Twice and each time I've changed all the hardware.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The sealed bearing thing must be on a G.M.,because every Ford I have worked on, (van , pickup,) has the wheel-bearing cap that you take off in order to get to the cotter pin,and a couple of washers, cotter-pin retainer, and then pull the bearings out,then the rotor comes off.Of course, I havent worked on a G.M. product in years, so it's hard to say what has changed.

Must be since my Grand am and Bonneville both have the sealed hubs.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Thank you guys. Chevy 2500 from 2005 GVW 8600. 8 lugs. Also my mechanic said: ""It doesn't have the same rotors as the 9600 lb van...they are different.
The rotors are held on by the lug nuts.
Yes, it's best to change the pads, but pads will not cause a vibration.
I can check for rust on the hub face, that is possible, but I would think
that it would cause a very bad vibration stopping from any speed with
that condition.

I also mentioned that it might be the new rotors. But those Duralast
rotors are good ones. It's the Valucraft that are junk""

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
Maybe take the rotors off and have them turned or at least checked. The best of companies make mistakes. Jerry Lee