Zimmerman Not Guilty

paullud

Veteran Expediter
But that wasn't established. Not guilty isn't the same thing as establishing it was in self defense. The prosecution failed to prove their case that it wasn't self defense.

It was established before the trial when prosecutors and police said the evidence showed Zimmerman was justified in the shooting and had nothing to say otherwise.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It was established before the trial when prosecutors and police said the evidence showed Zimmerman was justified in the shooting and had nothing to say otherwise.
It was ASSERTED before the trial, not established. If it were established, then the trial never would have happened.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It was ASSERTED before the trial, not established. If it were established, then the trial never would have happened.

The trial only happened because a ton of misinformation was put out in public that made the case look way different than it was. They had plenty of proof and eyewitness accounts to back it up as well.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
45 mins of fireworks going on after the verdict by my home. IDK but that seems a little...dare I use the word..insensitive :confused:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They had plenty of proof and eyewitness accounts to back it up as well.
The trial, and the jurors, said differently. It wasn't as cut and dry as you seem to think. There were no witnesses to the shooting, otherwise they would have taken the stand. The witnesses that did take the stand had conflicting accounts. The things the jury focused on was on the manslaughter instructions from the judge, because the prosecution hammered away at the fact that Zimmerman harbored hatred and ill will against Martin. But they weren't buying the notion that Zimmerman held hatred or ill will against Martin, so they dismissed the second degree murder charge as being applicable.

The jury then asked the judge for specific clarification on the manslaughter charge, though, which is a clear indication that that's what they were focusing on and were considering returning a guilty verdict for the lesser charge. If it was as clear cut as you think, after 8 hours of deliberating the jury would have simply returned a not guilty verdict, rather than ask the judge for manslaughter clarification, and then continue deliberating for hours. They were probably closer than you think to finding him guilty of manslaughter, but the prosecution's case was emotion-based, full of wishful thinking and the logical fallacies of asking questions to try and get the jury to assume a conclusion rather than present facts that are not subject to assumption.

The prosecution also constantly referred to Martin as a "child" rather than the young man he was, which is a blatant attempt to influence the 5 mothers on the jury, and the jury likely took offense to that. Instead of being presented with facts, the jury likely felt the prosecution was trying to play them.

All it takes for manslaughter is a preponderance of the evidence, rather than beyond a reasonable doubt. They had that (based on Zimmerman's own statements regarding the nearly 6-minute interaction between the two where Zimmerman could have avoided conflict and did not do so), but the prosecution muddied the waters so badly with their emotional "what ifs" and "how abouts" that by the end of the trial the jury (and everyone else) were less clear about what took place at the initial contact between Zimmerman and Martin than they were at the start.

There was no mountain of evidence that exonerated Zimmerman in any clear fashion at all (the jury's question on clarification makes that evident), nor was there enough evidence to convict him, which is why the case never should have seen the inside of a courtroom.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
45 mins of fireworks going on after the verdict by my home. IDK but that seems a little...dare I use the word..insensitive :confused:

Unfortunately someone lost their life and another's is ruined, there is nothing to celebrate.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
LOL all these arm chair lawyers turned truck driver! Some are quite amusing....

Actually what's amusing (and pathetic) is that both the defense and DA rarely reference points of law anymore. The only thing that matters is what they can get you to believe. Just another con job really.

I mean you expect it from the defense, but when the DA starts using the same theatrics because when they finally realize they can't win their case based on facts alone, they don't have the cajones to admit to it and withdraw because now it becomes a matter of trying to save face. How does that serve the public?

Sad really.

So at the point when references to actual points of law take a back seat to academy award theatrical performances, then yes, all of us armchair lawyers become just as qualified as the actors in court!

I do admit that it's tough for the DA, especially when it's a high profile case as their office is under a lot of public pressure to indict, even if that means their isn't a reasonable chance for conviction, just to give the impression that they are doing something. It would have been interesting to have been a fly on the wall in the DA's office when they were deciding on wether to charge him or not.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
And his gun is being returned to him. His lawyer says he needs it now more than ever. He also wears a bullet proof vest.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And his gun is being returned to him. His lawyer says he needs it now more than ever. He also wears a bullet proof vest.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

It should be returned to him. He is not guilty of any crime.Some people will have a problem with that so he will need his gun and vest more than ever now.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unfortunately someone lost their life and another's is ruined, there is nothing to celebrate.

Agree celebrating would have been over the top. I was very glad to see that a jury could still look at the evidence presented and still make a somewhat courages decision to acquit zimmerman instead of succomb to political pressures. A guilty verdict would have been a 30 year sentence.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
None of the above arguments matter to the case. These are just opinions of who or what people think George Zimmerman is/was. The bottom line is whether or not Zimmerman's actions met the requirements of the law which is that he acted out of fear of serious physical injury or death. Like it or not, those requirements were met, end of story.

I'm not arguing the verdict, because it's what I expected [the prosecution did not prove Zimmerman guilty] and it's legally correct, but: how can anyone determine Zimmerman's state of mind at the moment he pulled the weapon? The only way to decide is to evaluate his credibility, because his story is all there was.
And Zimmerman was a liar, plain and simple. He lied numerous times about numerous things, and personally, I believe he lied about the last few minutes of Martin's life. We'll probably never know what really happened, in truth. But it's also true that better the guilty go free than the innocent go to prison, I guess.
What concerns me now is that Zimmerman is the perfect example of what gun control advocates fear most: a citizen with the motive, means, and authority to carry a concealed weapon, but not the mature judgement required.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I carry a pistol, Im to old to run and hand to hand combat is not on my agenda. I try to stay out of harms way and I do not walk around ghettos or public housing in a hoodie. It just makes sense to stay indoors if you live in a neighborhood that could be known for a bad area. Yes one does have the right to walk down the road where they want,,ok,,try that in downtown Chicago at 2 am ,,go ahead,u have a right...You see ,most in here have good sense not to do that, common sense comes to mind.

You have a choice to stay alive or walk in harms way at anytime, but you may not be breathing ..................