Your favorate thing to cook in

XCountryTeam

Seasoned Expediter
There are so many things we can buy to cook in/on in the truck. What is your favorate one that you can cook the most in and use the most? Mine was the crock pot, but I haven't used it since we've been busy.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hands down: the rice cooker. [With appreciation for Linder & India's posts convincing me to get one, bc I wouldn't have considered it myself.]
I can make pasta & sauce, soup, steam veggies, and brown meat in it. The teflon liner and the heavy plastic steam basket are removeable, making cleanup easy.
I've made a brazillion things in it - everything except rice, lol. :D

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Linder asked: Your favorate thing to cook in... My underwear but what has that got to do anything. ( That might be the reason I cook my Bacon in the microwave.)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Well I prefer to cook in my Mickey Mouse Flannel PJ's at home!

But our here on the road I find myself reaching for the Rice Cooker most often.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I use the trkstop microwave oven, buy all my stuff at walmart in a microwave box, most of the time rice and potaotes and one of those steamers,,,ok,,it aint great, but i do ok.................ps i cook in my jeans and boots, no mickeymouse shirt , lol

dieselwrench

Seasoned Expediter
Next to the micro cooker I like my teflon griddle. I also have a toster oven and a one burner butane stove from T A and a good ole cast iron fry pan.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Well, as I said, I use the microwave and cook rice in a bag in 90 seconds since Im a cv driver and room is tight. I would enjoy a home cooked meal on the road, but it aint happening , so improvising is the name of the game. I do carry a portable generator when I run my small microwave, and a electric skillet, but a tuna can van is small, someday I'll I hit the big time and get a straight truck,,someday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sky

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to say thanks to those of you who posted on here about the rice cooker. After reading this thread I went and bought the smallest one walmart has which is a Black and Decker, only 14 bucks. The thing has saved me so much money it's crazy.

I have heated soups and chilli, cooked hot dogs, made ramen noodles, scrambled eggs, and fried eggs for sandwichs. I look forward to trying more things.

Those of you with limited space I cannot recommend this little gem enough. I run it of my little 400 watt inverter and only have the starter battery in my truck. I have had zero problems as far as running down the battery goes.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Xiggi: it's excellent for browning [grilled ham & cheese sandwiches, or pierogi] and does spaghetti & sauce well too. Last week I made chili, and it was lovely, on a snowy day. :)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
If u see an old dodge cargovan , faded maroon color, u all put a sign up that says, " will cook for u" and I will bring the food,,lol. I wont hold my breath ladies...............;)

funsized

Seasoned Expediter
I have a square electric skillet. I can cook everything in it. I have put off getting a rice cooker but I think that will be my next purchase.

The one thing I wish I could cook on the go is home made chicken and noodle soup. The only way I have figured out how to do this is when I can get by the house I roll out a few small batches of egg noodles, flash freeze them and vac pack them into a small bag I can stuff in the freezer. I have switched to a bag of frozen veggies for the soup but it is not the same as slow cooking the chicken with veggies and slowly building to a thick soup that cures every ill you can imagine.

I like to grab rotisserie chickens when I'm at the grocery since this saves major cooking time for healthy meals. My partner and I just de-bone the chickens and freeze them in 1lb piles. Each chicken will normally make 4 meals.

That gives me enough to make chicken tacos/enchiladas, chicken with squash, hot pepper chicken stir fry or any other foods you can make fast.

I'm big on comfort foods so I have tons of fast ways to throw together good meals without having to work myself to death.

Blackbeard

Seasoned Expediter
i HAVE A SMALL SIZED RICE COOKER FROM WALMART (WISH I HAD THE STEAMER INSERT THOUGH). IT ACTUALLY WORKS AS A SKILLET ON THE COOK CYCLE FRYING THE MEAT, ONIONS, MUSHROOMS, ETC. I MAKE RICE AHEAD OF TIME AND PUT IT IN ZIPLOC BAGS TO SAVE FRIDGE SPACE. I HAVE NOT HAD THE SLOW COOKER OUT NOR THE ELECTRIC SKILLET SINCE I READ SOME OF THE ENTRIES HERE ABOUT THE VERSATILITY OF THE RICE COOKER. IT IS WONDERFUL! AND TAKES NO TIME AT ALL TO MAKE JAMBALAYA, CURRY STUFF, THOSE ORIENTAL NOODLE SOUPS THICKEN NICELY IN THE THING TOO. TAKES UP NO SPACE. MAKE SURE YOU SPRAY THE NONSTICK INSERT WITH PAM - MAKES CLEANUP SO EASY IN THE TRUCK.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Hey I want to come to your house for supper! I have never made home made noodles but I sure do like them. I can just see the egg noodles hung all over the truck drying! Do you cook the noodles before you pack them? I have found when I make spaghetti at home I can easily freeze my cooked noodles then use them later in the truck for a quicker meal.
We always enjoy getting the broasted chicken in Wal-Mart as there are so many uses for them.
Great post thanks for sharing!

funsized

Seasoned Expediter
Do you cook the noodles before you pack them?

I tried that at home before we got into the truck and found that cooking them and then freezing them causes a chemical melt down and they become this thick noodle mush. It's really yummy mush but it is ugly. I like to make big fat noodles so each one will fill your spoon and melt on your tongue. I spread them out in a single layer on cookie sheets and pizza pans in the freezer and then I freeze a pound per bag.

My elderly Moms love my chicken & noodles and miss them when we are on the road. Now they have the best of both worlds and can make a quick batch of soups as needed.

----

for any adventurous cooks that want to try making
Egg noodles / dumplings

1 cup of all purpose flour
1 egg (I let it sit out for a few min to warm a bit)
1/2 eggshell of water

this makes 1 batch of noodles (single serving) or good size to practice with

1 Large glass type bowl (smooth cool sides)
place flour in bowl, crack egg into center, fill the half shell with water and add with egg.

Use your hands to gently fold the egg, water and flour mix into a smooth ball of dough. Kneed the ball until you feel it start to tighten (Kneed fold ball in half press flat, fold from other direction and press flat, rinse repeat)

Once the dough starts to get solid feeling (it isn't so easily folded and started to just toughen up place it on a flour covered flat surface) roll out into a rectangle (aim for the size of a 9x11 baking pan) it will get that stretchy elastic feel to it as you push it bigger. use a pizza cutter and make fat strips or fat squares.

Boil till tender.

I suggest grabbing a big box of chicken broth and warming a little to eat the noodles in as you practice them :)

If my son is home I make 7 batches of noodles with 1 whole chicken, 1 onion, 1 bag of carrots, 4 stalks of celery, 3 cloves of garlic which makes a LOT of chicken and noodles. He likes them served over a spoonful of garlic mashed taters.

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
I have to say thank you for intrudcing me to the rice cooker! I never thought about it till I read this thread. It took some convincing to get my husbnd to try it but now we cant live without it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like to cook Pop Tarts on the dash. After seeing Funsized's avatar I'm thinking about switching to Moon Pies for breakfast.