you van people......

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Your cargo van can look like a mansion on the inside no doubt, but at the end of they day it is still parked in some loud, car alarm chirping, car door slamming into the sides, people standing around talking, hot, nasty parking lot! That's why I leave my van with just a mattress and a laptop. My van looks like an administrative segregation cell in prison, cept prisoners get free electricity, food, heat, and air con!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Jimlookup wrote:

How do you know the air is from Oregon and not China?

hmmmm...it sayes so on the tag????:D

It also sayes it is NOT a Flotation Devise...so much for using it when I go rafting.....:rolleyes:

Blizzard wrote:

Your cargo van can look like a mansion on the inside no doubt, but at the end of they day it is still parked in some loud, car alarm chirping, car door slamming into the sides, people standing around talking, hot, nasty parking lot! That's why I leave my van with just a mattress and a laptop. My van looks like an administrative segregation cell in prison, cept prisoners get free electricity, food, heat, and air con!

But when i am in those parking lots, most of my time is not spent "outside" looking at the van or sitting on the roof...i am inside watchin TV or on the computer in the AC /Heat comfortable and eatting the food from the frig that i heated in the micro wave....

And beside, vacation time is about enjoying the time and enviroment you are in and pampering ones self...:D

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jimlookup wrote:

hmmmm...it sayes so on the tag????:D

It also sayes it is NOT a Flotation Devise...so much for using it when I go rafting.....:rolleyes:

Blizzard wrote:

But when i am in those parking lots, most of my time is not spent "outside" looking at the van or sitting on the roof...i am inside watchin TV or on the computer in the AC /Heat comfortable and eatting the food from the frig that i heated in the micro wave....

And beside, vacation time is about enjoying the time and enviroment you are in and pampering ones self...:D

This is very true. I may get some toys in the future if I stay in this van. I just can't justify that kind of investment with the way freight has been running lately. It's not that hard to set upo a van, I finally got some insulation in here, restained the plywood floor, painted nasty scraped and stained inside metal with paint. That is about all i'm going to spend on the van for now. Summer will be over soon, so why splurge on an a/c unit this late in the season. I'll get a 20 gallon propane tank and mr buddy heater for winter if I decide to slip and slide this year.

I was't trying to bash your set up chef, after sleeping on the wood floor the other night and waking up crooked, I may get me one of those fancy set-ups one day. But in all honesty, they way things have been going lately, I might be returning to school to get into another profession. I have been art this since 2006 and I have to say it has been a fun ride, but the kind of money that I need to buy a house, invest into a 401k, and other things is just not there. With what I got saved now 1/4 th of it is going to go in 100k mile maintenance that is coming up at the end of this month, and he rest woukld be easily consumed if I had to replace the van or if I got sick. We just gotta see what happens with this economy!

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had 20 + years in a big truck with over 2.5 million miles and went to a 05 sprinter. I'm having fun not having to deal with the dot or logs. I guess the newer sprinter is wider and I know it's taller, plus it's longer.. will get a newer one in a year or 2 when I can pay cash like I did with this one.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Blizzard, at no time did I think you were bashing me..its all good!!! As for sleeping on the floor...Hey I had to sleep on the concrete floor in the HOTEL ROOM at the Expo!!! :eek: LOL, I mean my van would have been better, but it was locked in the convention hall...So..concrete floor in a hotel room or the twin matteress in the van...yea....:D

And to be honest...we are not all in the same position to setup these things as we might want....fortunately, I am...but i know there are people out here hustling up and down the road with ALOT less and they do it everyday....So yea in the same way the OP stated he wouldn't do it in a van verses hs ST, I can say, I wouldn't do in in a bare bones "Tuna can" either...so yeap, my hat is off to all of you that do it that way...

Now, where did I put that "Vacation Planner" book...need to find the "fun places" here in Ogden, Utah.....:D

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't know about Utah, but there is a great tourist attraction about 750 miles south of you. It's a little town in California called Fontata. I heard that there was such a nice attraction out that way they decided to build two Travel Centers of America, one on each side on the road! lol! J/K

Main attractions at the TA Fontana!

1. Watching a white truck driver get a bottle brokern over his head.

2. Asking the security guard how things were going and having him brag about how he's gonna bring his canine from home to chase people in the parking lot.

3.Watching an old big screen television that looks like it is snowing and sitting on hard plastic seats.

4. Feeling safe and secure as you fall asleep to the endless sirens and the faint chopping of the blades as the ghetto bird flies around in circles.

5. Last time I was in Fontana there was a gang member running through traffic trying to open peoples car doors "mine included" as the ghetto bird hovered over him!

I stop there on the way home to mail trip-pack stuff, get fuel, and stock up on comchecks, then I get the heck back out and say a prayer for those who have to spend the night there.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
lol, chef will be watching an episode of cops on tv and some dude will be running through the parking lot being chased by the cops simultaneously. I'm just messing around today. I've been sitting for four days now and my mind is starting to go loopy here.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Blizzard, at no time did I think you were bashing me..its all good!!! As for sleeping on the floor...Hey I had to sleep on the concrete floor in the HOTEL ROOM at the Expo!!! :eek: LOL, I mean my van would have been better, but it was locked in the convention hall...So..concrete floor in a hotel room or the twin matteress in the van...yea....:D

And to be honest...we are not all in the same position to setup these things as we might want....fortunately, I am...but i know there are people out here hustling up and down the road with ALOT less and they do it everyday....So yea in the same way the OP stated he wouldn't do it in a van verses hs ST, I can say, I wouldn't do in in a bare bones "Tuna can" either...so yeap, my hat is off to all of you that do it that way...

Now, where did I put that "Vacation Planner" book...need to find the "fun places" here in Ogden, Utah.....:D

I highly recommend the book "10,000 places in America to see before you die" - lots of cool and offbeat places you never knew existed, plus fun and funky festivals, and historical trivia. I read it with a highlighter, [can't trust my memory any more, lol] but even if I never get to most of them, it's just plain interesting stuff. :)

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Returning to Compton and the LBC to see the place I used to stay at in 1999 is on my bucket list of places to see before I die. I gotta get that book Cheri. It sounds interesting.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It is interesting, because the US is [and the writers are amusing] so why not take advantage of the chance to find somewhere more interesting than Flying J or Walmart to spend a day?
PS You ever get homesick for Ontario, try the Petro in Atlanta.....:eek:

guido4475

Not a Member
I don't know about Utah, but there is a great tourist attraction about 750 miles south of you. It's a little town in California called Fontata. I heard that there was such a nice attraction out that way they decided to build two Travel Centers of America, one on each side on the road! lol! J/K

Main attractions at the TA Fontana!

1. Watching a white truck driver get a bottle brokern over his head.

2. Asking the security guard how things were going and having him brag about how he's gonna bring his canine from home to chase people in the parking lot.

3.Watching an old big screen television that looks like it is snowing and sitting on hard plastic seats.

4. Feeling safe and secure as you fall asleep to the endless sirens and the faint chopping of the blades as the ghetto bird flies around in circles.

5. Last time I was in Fontana there was a gang member running through traffic trying to open peoples car doors "mine included" as the ghetto bird hovered over him!

I stop there on the way home to mail trip-pack stuff, get fuel, and stock up on comchecks, then I get the heck back out and say a prayer for those who have to spend the night there.

North of the Ontario T/A, on 15, north of 10, is foothill blvd.Go east off the ramp, and on the right side is a Wal-Mart.Go around the back, and, between the two buildings, is a parking lot, park on the strip shopping mall side of the parking lot, paralell to the building.The security guard will not bother you on his side of the lot.The Wal-Mart guard will kick you out,if on his side.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey, Guido, last time I was in Ontario, I just stopped at a wal-mart parking lot at midnight to get my things ready to take into the house and to stretch my legs. This little security car came right over to me and said I couldn't spend the night there. It was hilarious. That city has a bunch of rent-a-cops running around policing the streets in white cars with orange flashing lights. I just left and drove home.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Returning to Compton might be the last place you see before you die. :eek:

I lived on Manchester and Elm street, in Compton during y2k. My frinend who is a mexican guy said that if a mob formed at midnight when all of the lights went out asking for the white guy inside the house, he was gonna have to turn me over to them. lol. Needless to say y2k never happened and I escaped the hood alive. I was stopped one night while walking home from the bus stop and two white cops couldn't believe that I lived there. They thought I was lost!