You can remove these GM Plants from your GPS

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
This is the list of GM plants that will be closed:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/A-look...&asset=&ccode=

-- Wilmington, Del. Scheduled to close in July. Cars produced at the plant include the Pontiac Solstice, the Pontiac Solstice Coupe, the Saturn Sky and the Opel GT.

-- Pontiac, Mich. Set to shut its doors in October. Produces the GMC Sierra, a sports utility vehicle, and the Chevrolet Silverado.

Assembly plants expected to be idled:

-- Orion, Mich. Assembles Chevrolet Malibu and the Pontiac G6. Will halt production in September.

-- Spring Hill, Tenn. Assembles Chevrolet Traverse. Will halt production in November.

Two new stamping plants, which mold sheets of steel into different auto parts, are set to close permanently:

-- Mansfield, Ohio. Will close in June 2010.

-- Indianapolis. Will close in December of 2011.

One stamping plant will be idled:

-- Pontiac Metal in Pontiac, Mich. Expected to shut down at least temporarily in December of 2010.

Five plants where powertrain systems are produced are scheduled to close:

-- Livonia Engine in Livonia, Mich. Will close in June 2010.

-- Four other powertrain plants will close in December 2010: Flint North Components in Flint, Mich.; GM's Willow Run Site between Ypsilanti and Belleville, Mich.; Parma Components in Parma, Ohio (near Cleveland) and Fredericksburg (Va.) Components.

Three service and parts warehouses and parts distribution centers are also on the closure list:

-- Warehouses in Boston, Jacksonville, Fla. and Columbus, Ohio. Set to close on the last day of this year.

Source: GM.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've been to the GM Pontiac plant once. Never been to the others.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have only been to 3 of the plants (spring hill twice) and the columbus parts center a few times...yea it might not hurt anyone of us seperately, but as a whole, it will hurt the trucking industry......

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
...yea it might not hurt anyone of us seperately, but as a whole, it will hurt the trucking industry......
I didn't mean to convey that just because I've never been there doesn't mean that closing it won't affect me. It will. Every time a facility closes, the Expedite Pie gets a little smaller.

There are no tellin' how many places that ship or receive expedited freight every day that I've never been to. If one of them closes, that is instantly X-number of fewer expedite loads left for all the others to handle.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hey Turtle no need to explain it, i understood, thats why i also said i hadn't been to a bunch of the plants slated to be closed, just a few of them...but yea when the pie gets smaller, we all take a bit if a hit....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It wasn't until very recently that I learned that there is a Ford plant in South Chicago. Go figure. Still haven't been there, tho.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Turtle wrote:

It wasn't until very recently that I learned that there is a Ford plant in South Chicago. Go figure. Still haven't been there, tho.

You are lucky!! I have been there more times then i care to!! It is not in the best part of town, I drop and beat feet out of there..lol the funny thing is i head to the "J" in Gray, ind....also not the best area, but still alot better then south chicago...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
isn't fort wayne assembly a pickup truck plant?? when barry decides they are hurting the Federal gas mileage figures, what use to be the Corporate mileage figures, but since GM now stands for Government Motors, trucks even though they are still the one of the most profitable units that GM has will be in his grip also....it is sad to see what the government is doing to this once great company...they should have been left to their own mens and left to file a normal BK and restructure without all of the government controls and a governement appoint borad of directors.....the stockholders no longer run the company and they have lost all of their investment...I don't look for them ever to recover, but the government will never let them close down, it will be another Amtrack story.............

PS: this started with Bush, but barry as taken it to a totally unforeseen level....this has nothing to do with GM making money...this is politics..they do not want to satisfy the comsumers, it is to satisfy the uaw and the uaw retires and to buy votes....and wait till the Gov starts proping up the sale of GM cars and truck and chysler products to a smaller degree, who will be left at a disavantage??? ford.......it is only going to get worse...

sorry to hijack my own thread, now back to your regularlt scheuled threads............

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In all this doom and gloom lets not forget the NEW plants that are opening...Nissan, Honda, and Toyota....creating 1,000's of jobs for assembly and the spin-off parts sector.....no one ever mentions them because it would blow the MISERY down abit....

Gawd you guys are depressing at times!!:eek:

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Problem with letting GM file a normal BK is the financing they wld need to come out of BK. There isnt any financing for them

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
When Lee Iacocca went to the government in the early 80's to save Chysler, the government GUARANTEED loans, I can live with that, but not the Government owniong of the auto industry...if the gov had said they would guarantee the loans that would have financed GM and or Chysler in a normal BK, it would have worked...but then that wouldn't have allowed barry to take over industry for the government to run, you know like in a facist country............

GM will never recover, they will be kept alive by the Fed government and billions will be dumped into them, just as we have done since Nixon said the Fed was "taking control of AMTRACK for a short time", so that they could get back on good stable ground..we are still 30 yrs later dumping billions in that company that was also "too big to fail"............

No GM should have been left to their own demise, win lose or draw....it is not the government place to be running these businesses and it certainly is not legal for the adminatration from this white house to be threatening, and firing employees or taking over board of director seats....and to be doing it without any congressional authorization or oversight....I guess when the current resident of the white house sets up these "szars", he can dicate policy without answering to anyone and use the excuse, "well bush started the auto bailout.....!"

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
The Government didnt force Gm to take the money. GM musta firgured the govts way was a better choice for them. Just that simple

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
have not delivered to a gm plant yet. chrysler and ford and toyota only. delivered into pontiac but not to pontiac.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yeah, yeah, yeah...Barry this and barry that...who cares about GM anyhow? 1 as in one company doesn't make the world go round....the survivors will fill the voids....there will be an adjustment period and all will go on....

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
I made several deliveries to the Chrysler plant in Fenton MO just before it went into hibernation. They were flying in parts to complete as many vehicles as possible before the shutdown. So don't delete those addresses just yet.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I made several deliveries to the Chrysler plant in Fenton MO just before it went into hibernation. They were flying in parts to complete as many vehicles as possible before the shutdown. So don't delete those addresses just yet.

Yep...the name on the front door may change..but things can happen...

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Turtle wrote:

You are lucky!! I have been there more times then i care to!! It is not in the best part of town, I drop and beat feet out of there..lol the funny thing is i head to the "J" in Gray, ind....also not the best area, but still alot better then south chicago...

The chicago plant has private parking. If ya make a right out of the guard shack,,go to the first light,,,make another right and the parking lot will be on your left just under the employee catwalk...Its quiet,,clean and fairly safe parking (considering the area)