Years in the business

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been in expediting 15 years as of January. 20 years doing the tractor/trailer thing, most of that LTL. 2 years part time driving school bus.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Phil, I'm still a rookie to be honest, compared to my father and my uncles. My father and my uncle John was the greatest drivers I ever seen. Sadly they past away at a young age. They never boasted about the years they had behind the wheel. I would say they both had over five million miles or more each from driving. That is part of the reason I try to get our driver home every other weekend, because my Father was never home.

Maybe Dreamer is right about the number of years you have to be in the business.

Sorry to hear your father and uncle passed away at an early age. Are you saying they drove over 5 million miles each? Something doesn't compute.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
First chauffeur license 1976. Until 1981 tt out of FL hauling plants and Veggies. Steady Eddie you might know me. 2003 on, tt, st team with my Captain.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
8 total 6.5 as an expediter and 1.5 as a school bus driver. The school bus thing was a LONG, LONG time ago.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rule of thumb: The quicker and more vocal an expediter is in offering up how many years of experience he or she has, the less that person has to teach.

In another life I had an employee complain to me that I did not respect his 20 years of experience. My response was " you do not have 20 years experience, you have one year repeated 19 times".

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Sorry to hear your father and uncle passed away at an early age. Are you saying they drove over 5 million miles each? Something doesn't compute.

My father and my uncle John started driving at the age of 18, back then you didn't have to be 21. My father died at 61 getting out of his TST Expedited truck trying to make it to a phone because he had chest pains. Sadly he died in his doorway on New Years eve 2001. My uncle John died from bone cancer and was 54 when he died. Both of these guys stayed on the road 310 plus days a year. They loved to drive and did a lot miles. My uncle John had a lead foot and could cross Pa faster than anyone I knew in the W900 Kenworth he drove. I have another uncle that still drives and Scott has almost 4 million miles of driving. My father drove over 40 years and could hammer down with the best of them. Based on 40 years of driving that only 125,000 miles a year.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
23 yrs. total. 11 in the transportation side, 12 yrs in expediting. working in transportation and then going into expediting you learn quickly that you didnt know trucking like you thought you did.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rule of thumb: The quicker and more vocal an expediter is in offering up how many years of experience he or she has, the less that person has to teach.

This can be very true. I had someone like this that wanted to mentor me when I started expediting. I would listen to what he had to say, but I can honestly say that he had nothing at all to offer in terms of wisdom. Not a thing.

I had 16 years driving a T/T for a manufacturing company. I'm at 13+ in expediting.

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Going on 2 yrs in expediting as O/O of a cargo van. Sure beats the first 22 in an office behind a computer.