Wow, I need a good Truck Stop Guide....

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, I'm new to the whole aspect of staying out on the road while Expediting. I've been doing work out of Louisville, KY for a few guys and most of it was for UPS so it payed well enough to dead head back.
I just got my first taste of Michigan. I was heading back south from my stop and noticed that I can select truck stops as a destination on my Garmin GPS. I'm in a cargo van so usually I just hit a rest stop but I was dying for a shower. The closest truck stop that pops up is Detroit Motor City Truck Stop. Sounds like a grand place to me! I'm imagining a big complex, heck maybe even with a bit of a museum atmosphere....Wow, was I mistaken. I headed elsewhere.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Ok, I'm new to the whole aspect of staying out on the road while Expediting. I've been doing work out of Louisville, KY for a few guys and most of it was for UPS so it payed well enough to dead head back.
I just got my first taste of Michigan. I was heading back south from my stop and noticed that I can select truck stops as a destination on my Garmin GPS. I'm in a cargo van so usually I just hit a rest stop but I was dying for a shower. The closest truck stop that pops up is Detroit Motor City Truck Stop. Sounds like a grand place to me! I'm imagining a big complex, heck maybe even with a bit of a museum atmosphere....Wow, was I mistaken. I headed elsewhere.

I would recommend going south. At least get between Detroit and Toledo to find a decent truck stop.

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
Here is a suggestion. If you stop at a TA or petro pick up there free magazine. they ussaly have listing of there truck stops and all they offer.Some of the large chains had guides.Also if this dont work pick up the book they sell called the next exit. This should help.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Here are two you can get at many truck stops;

Truck Stop Directory

Next Exit

I bought my last Next Exit at Wal-Mart but it is at J's and Pilots and the truck stop directory at T/A.

Also if you go to truckstop.com you can find a listing there by state.

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the info. You all rock! Now if I can ever get out of Michigan I'll put it to use. I've been sitting here since Tuesday. Had a load set for Sat. am to El Paso but my carrier lost it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
DCMark: I usually type a name into the Garmin [like Meijer] when looking for a place to sleep nearby, but the book I use every day is The Next Exit [thanks, Jerry!] It lists every business [hotels, restaurants, gas, stores, etc] at every exit on every interstate in the 48 states. It's invaluable if you're looking for a Radio Shack, PetsMart, Auto Zone, Walgreen's - whatever.
And it includes weigh stations & rest areas, too. :)

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Got an I phone?? They sell a truck stop app for like 4 bucks it not only lists all of the truck stops but you get phone number and fax numbers for them parking spaces shop / no shop type of restaurant etc etc it also lists rest areas walmarts and scale houses it also tells you how far you are from each thing you look up