Sorry,

D unit, 3200 lbs, 8 pcs
FSC is included in total pay.

Those who said they would take it,

fastman_1
cannedmeat27
iceroadtrucker
termite289

Are you saying yes because experience has shown that you can make the run safely or are you just seeing $$ and hoping for the best.

I know some drivers that just go anywhere without thinking about it and it usually works out just fine. They just deal with it.

We don't have that option yet because it is not our equipment

termite289

Expert Expediter
both.
i look at alaska as the grate white whale. iv never had an opertunity to go. yea im sure the alcan highway would be difficult this time of year, and finding freight back might be tricky, especialy for a tractor trailer. but i think i would go so icould say i did it before i pay this junky truck off and retire.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I would of taken that for sure. A load to AK is a very rare thing and to get that much pay is great. Planing on riding my motorcycle up there in the next few years personally.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Humble, the bus is still there. (a bit hard to get to) And, a bit worn out an a mess. Seems the fella wuz a bit mis guided like some readers here.

As I read this thread I wonder why some of you are in this business. When it seems, that rates are hovering round a buk ta buk twenty, why???, would someone even....for a second consider declining 9K for a weeks work?????

One is concerned bout FSC??? 9K,FSC????

One tinks da truk is toooo good ta do the Alcan????

One tinks is should be Summer, to take a vacation

Nuther wonders if thay be safe nuff????

I understand I were in a different ballgame than most of you. And, there is a large chance i'd be doing that run with more freight than the 8 skids an 3K. Butt.. I been reading bout the tuff times on here, so.... why's this not a no brainer???

I'd sure like to hear from some that could help me get a grasp on the tink'in out there.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I Have a cargo Van, I've been up there once before in the Winter, I believe I could safely Complete the Trip.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have been up there as well. Just alittle extra prep and supplies before running it and that is about it.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
If the weather looked doable, it would be a no brainer for us. Did it last fall, one week turn araound, and loved the variety of wildlife and scenery. Roads aren't the best and 6-8 hrs without seeing another human. Be sure your truck is VERY road worthy. A couple stretches of the AK hwy consists of a couple miles of mud rd const. Wash buckle spots going thru the Yuck will rip the steering wheel from your hands. Expect a thorough search by Canadian border patrol coming back, even pulled my breif case out and rifled thru it.

We even visited an old colledge bud in Eagle River who loaded our freezer with 40 lbs. of fresh salmon. We were unable to find a spot to park, no truck stops in Anchorage, so we stayed the nite in a hotel for our 34 hr restart required before heading back into CAN.

Peace,
Doug & Sherry B
O/O Panther Straight

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
After delivery,if your dead head was back to Seattle,you would have a total of about 7000 miles,and if you have all the equipment to run the Alcan in the inter,this load would be doable.As was writen,there are loads coming out of Ak.but if your luck is like mine,they were picked up the day before I woud arrive there.So I would determine if the load paid enough to deliver and dead head to Los Angeles,since that would be my best place to get reloaded,and thats another 1150 miles.So therefore,being its not a good time of year to run the AlCan,I would have turned it down.
Col. said he would take the $9000 for the week,I just did $8700 for the week,and only ran 5700 miles,including the dead head home

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yer a "lucky duck" there night. That kinda revenue? With a green card carrier?? Hmmm!

I'm happy fer ya. Regardless, y'all won't understand till ya (really) git into it, steada grovelling for freight with a couple hunnert others.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yer a "lucky duck" there night. That kinda revenue? With a green card carrier?? Hmmm!

I'm happy fer ya. Regardless, y'all won't understand till ya (really) git into it, steada grovelling for freight with a couple hunnert others.

Most of us understand more than your willing to give credit. Driving a truck and having your own authority is not exactly , brain surgery.
You are funny guy, acting all knowing, yet you write your messages like you do.
You sure fill me with confidence.
Enough said.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Fill YOU with confidence???? Why???

Cause me to understand that one?

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Fill YOU with confidence???? Why???

Cause me to understand that one?

Well, I guess I mis-understood your intent completly. I only thought your terse comments about what some dont know vs what you do know was somehow a misguided attempt on your part to fill us with insight by your years of experience.
Sorry, I guess your comments are just what they appear.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Col.No I didnt have the new co driver,If I did, that week wouldn't have happened,they were all Government loads

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

Col.I guess Ill never be in that bunch that say it's slow.My experiance keeps me moving.If need be,I'm willing to change express centers on my own dime,and besides,In a tractor,I have much less compeition than you van drivers

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
We have been up there as well. Just a little extra prep and supplies before running it and that is about it.
Prep is what I was thinking...
I would love to run that as well and in the summer sure would be the "Holy Grail" of runs but in the winter would you need extra chains, fuel filters, different viscosity of oil?
Water and emergency supplies and of course a good camera.
Will cell phones work in case of emergency and can you use fuel cards the length of the trip?
The prospect of pay for the adventure is something we always embrace but don't know if the owner of our truck would feel the
same about risk versus reward.
Short answer is heck yeah we would do it but probably wouldn't be allowed.

Cynwinter08069.jpg

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Mike, you have chains on,lol guess someday your going to have to teach me,My chains have never been used,I spell chains,Holiday Inn lol

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Mike, you have chains on,lol guess someday your going to have to teach me,My chains have never been used,I spell chains,Holiday Inn lol

Steve I used to subscribe to the "if you need chains it isn't safe to drive" philosophy but I get too anxious when I see all the yaahoos that are going to leave at the same time I do should I wait.
I am more scared of some of those cats than the the elements.
I will throw iron with you anytime:D