Would you take this run??

soxydun

Seasoned Expediter
Re: Would you take this run??/Been there done that

I would be happy to fill anyone in, privately on Alaska runs in the winter. Straight truck, been there recently, would not recommend going thru WA up into BC etc. again. Would not recommend it after the first of Nov. thru probably mid-March. I can fill you in on costs, losses, danger (plenty) and the fact that $9,000. if you drive for a fleet owner, disappears quickly. The fuel stops can be few and far between. Permits for ST's into AK (no matter what) are $350., Yukon are $140. which our company reimbursed. Fuel is higher, food is higher (all thru Can/AK, example: $22. for 2 Double Quarter Pound meals and 2 cheese burgers at the McDonalds in WhiteHorse). Most trucks do not have bigger headlights, cattle catchers, heated wipers & heated fuel tanks. No matter what they tell you, No. 1 fuel alone will not compensate for some of the temperature extremes thru the Yukon Territory and AK. Wipers will freeze too. We feel like we lost money in the end. Remember, the mountain ranges are much higher, longer grades up and down etc. Cellphone service is spotty to non-existent and QC's won't work partially thru BC and only spotty in AK (if at all). Not at all in the Yukon. If you break down in the middle of nowhere (and believe me, there is alot of nowhere), you might not see another vehicle for hours. You may have no way to call for help. We had times where we never saw another car, truck etc. for up to 2 hrs. Usually one an hour tho. When we went, it was often minus 30 to 55 degrees, extremely icy and windy.
There are many nice things to see, but for the most part, Expediters and their companies are not prepared for these trips.
There is alot more to our trip in particular, since we were sent much further than Anchorage, but no matter what, you need to be prepared.

Reactions: 1 person

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We ran that run in mid-Nov. It was great. The owner we had at the time had no problem with us taking it at all. He had the truck set up for it. Fuel tank heaters and all. The fuel stops are not that far apart, just fill up everytime you get to the 1/2 mark and you would be fine. We had comdata at the time and had no problems. I don't know how it would work with T-Check. As to money. Even with a 5000 mile dead head we made more per mile on that load than half of what we are seeing in offers today. We made about $1.40ppm with the deadhead out included. Cells don't work, neither does C-link for a good bit of the trip. We made sure we had food, water, etc. Just a bit of common sense will get you through. Layoutshooter

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I remember seeing that load the other day!

On a Straight truck, absolutely. Your "expensive truck" would be getting more expensive by sitting right now, There are a lot of things worse than $1.03 all miles right now. However, you would've probably gotten a load once you got back into Canadian soil. You would have most likely made more that week than 1.03 all miles. The only downside I see is it is in the dead of winter.

With the recent decrease in fuel prices and the state of the economy, it would do many well to reevaluate their cost per mile. Despite the chilling weather, you may have paid all your bills that month on a load like that.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
For all the reasons Soxydon mentioned, going to Alaska in the dead of winter seems heavy on risks and short on rewards. Very little margin for error should something go wrong.

I get bemused at armchair quarterbacks who don't actually drive the truck themselves, yet advocate such risk for others.
It's a personal choice, I suppose. But, there's a big difference between "it can be done" and "it should be done."

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
But the fact remains,who among us can refuse a 9k run in the slow months? Is it risky,sure it is but which trip isn't somewhat risky?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I get bemused at armchair quarterbacks who don't actually drive the truck themselves, yet advocate such risk for others.

I didn't see anyone like that responding in this thread. Both the driver, and the owner sides of the equation would have an interest in giving the go-ahead on a trip like this. In the OP's case, it wasn't the driver who put the kibosh on running this load.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I didn't see anyone like that responding in this thread. Both the driver, and the owner sides of the equation would have an interest in giving the go-ahead on a trip like this. In the OP's case, it wasn't the driver who put the kibosh on running this load.

Yeah, I'm not sure I've seen or heard any armchair quarterbacks. The thread was started by a request for input from forum members. Even among small carriers and fleet owners in this thread, everyone I know of drives a truck or at least has driven a truck.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
For all the reasons Soxydon mentioned, going to Alaska in the dead of winter seems heavy on risks and short on rewards. Very little margin for error should something go wrong.

It's a personal choice, I suppose. But, there's a big difference between "it can be done" and "it should be done."

Having read all the comments here and with Diane and I having discussed it, we tend to agree with Soxydon and aristotle. In the winter, we would be unlikely to accept an Alaska run. Never say never, but it seems to us that the risks outweigh the rewards.

In the summer, we'd go in a heartbeat but not in the winter. You may encounter many of the same problems Soxydon mentions in the summer but at least then, the weather will not kill you.

aristotle's arm-chair-quarterback comment confuses me. Everyone that replied in the tread above aristotle is a real-world truck driver or has been one not so long ago. This is good stuff; truck drivers chatting with truck drivers about Alaska runs.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
But the fact remains,who among us can refuse a 9k run in the slow months? Is it risky,sure it is but which trip isn't somewhat risky?

You are right. All trips are risky, but an Alaska trip, even in the summer, is more risky than most. I would rather sit empty for the week or two it would take to complete an Alaska run, make zero $, and forgo the $9,000, than subject ourselves, truck and bank account to the risks of the trip Soxydon describes.

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Although I always thought that a trip to Alaska would be an interesting adventure, I wouldn't want to make the trip in the winter.
We experienced -40 in North Dakota a few weeks ago and it's something I don't ever want to go through again. When I think about how it might be with no real services available that is truly frightening. I will leave the Alaska run to those that are more adventurous than me.
Soxydun, thank you for the description, it was an eye opener.