Would you be willing to shut down??

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's not just the skyrocketing cost of fuel that's squeezing us, it's the increased cost of everything, without any increase in rates to compensate. My carrier has increased the FS, but not the basic rates, so every other increased cost is a decrease in my net income. Sure, I can "talk to them", and hear the same old song about the contracts they can't change, and the underbidding they have to contend with, as well.
I can write to my representatives, too, but without any hope of it making any difference, because the Government has become one that responds to 'big' money, and the 'BIG' money in this case (the ATA, the big oil companies, the 'business interests') is all lined up on the other side.
Would I shut down? Yes, I would, because the alternative is to accept the status quo, and I think we've done that for too long already. It may not achieve our goals (rates that increase to keep up with inflation, a reduction in the excessive taxation that drives the price of fuel even higher) but it is better than doing nothing. Or nothing more productive than complaining, anyway.
I don't think the public backlash would be as unsympathetic as some predict - the "public" is not as dumb as that, I hope. And if we already have such a terrible image, then what have we lost?
We will never be treated with respect, if we don't expect to be treated with respect, IMO.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not just the skyrocketing cost of fuel that's squeezing us, it's the increased cost of everything, without any increase in rates to compensate. My carrier has increased the FS, but not the basic rates, so every other increased cost is a decrease in my net income. Sure, I can "talk to them", and hear the same old song about the contracts they can't change, and the underbidding they have to contend with, as well.
I can write to my representatives, too, but without any hope of it making any difference, because the Government has become one that responds to 'big' money, and the 'BIG' money in this case (the ATA, the big oil companies, the 'business interests') is all lined up on the other side.
Would I shut down? Yes, I would, because the alternative is to accept the status quo, and I think we've done that for too long already. It may not achieve our goals (rates that increase to keep up with inflation, a reduction in the excessive taxation that drives the price of fuel even higher) but it is better than doing nothing. Or nothing more productive than complaining, anyway.
I don't think the public backlash would be as unsympathetic as some predict - the "public" is not as dumb as that, I hope. And if we already have such a terrible image, then what have we lost?
We will never be treated with respect, if we don't expect to be treated with respect, IMO.

That sounded kewl....The public will be more behind a shutdown when GAS prices exceed diesel prices like they did last summer.....Gas Futures took a big jump to-day already. diesel is holding steady....With 40 minutes to go on the floor...barrels down $1.40 to-day....

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
We have the power.We can use it or not.Yes,I will shut down. Every day we cry,but when we can do something we hide like some rats.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
are12,

I don't get it that you are being called an idiot. The idiot name was being applied to people who, unlike you, do not get a fuel surcharge and, unlike you, do run at 75 mph.

I agree with chetjester; not with the idiot name, but certainly that someone running without a fuel surcharge and at 75 mph is working against one's own best interests. What do you call someone who is in business for one's self and then works against one's own best interests?

I want readers to know, especially people researching the industry, that with our carrier, FedEx Custom Critical, the fuel surcharge is working as designed.

At the moment, we are parked at a Petro. Out the window I can see the price of diesel on the sky high sign; $4.17 a gallon. Tomorrow, we are scheduled to pick up a load that delivers 2,568 miles away. Deadhead to the pickup was 153 miles, which gives us an all miles figure of 2,721. At 9 mpg, we will burn 302 gallons of fuel, which will cost $1,259 (assuming the $4.17 price, carrier-supplied fuel card discount not included in this discussion).

In other words, over the next couple days, we will pump a whopping $1,259 worth of fuel into our truck, and will need to refuel after the delivery.

While these numbers are hard to stomach, the rest of the run numbers make the load well worth taking (as in profitable).

The fuel surcharge paid on loaded and deadhead miles is $892, which leaves us to pay $367 out of pocket for fuel. On a 2,721 mile run, that equates to a fuel cost of $0.13 a mile, or $1.17 a gallon.

The FedEx Custom Critical system is designed to have owner-operators pay $1.25 a gallon for fuel. The surcharge is supposed to pick up the rest of it. In this case, the difference between $1.17 and $1.25 can be explained by the timing of the fuel purchase and the resetting of the fuel surcharge index number (a weekly event at FedEx Custom Critical).

The price on the sign is $4.17 a gallon. Our true fuel cost is $1.25 (give or take a little depending on purchase and index reset dates). With the run paying not for just fuel but significantly more, we are not feeling like idiots. We feel good about our decision to select and stay with a carrier that has a good fuel surcharge arrangement.

That does not mitigate our deep concern about the economic slowdown we have experienced and recessionary times that we believe lie ahead. But today, fuel is not an issue, because with our carrier, the surcharge is working.

The only way we would have to pull money from reserves to pay for fuel is if we spent a lot of time driving out of route, deadheading home often and from long distances, having a fuel hog of a truck, or idling the truck for hours on end. Running cheap freight would also drive one to draw from reserves, as would out-of-the-ordinary business expenses, but those are not fuel issues.

If you are pulling money out of reserves to pay for fuel, you should know that not everyone is. A look into your income and expenses may be more beneficial than looking to a strike or the government for help.

Last edited:

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
My idea may seem simplistic but what if everyone did not buy any fuel for 1 day just from Midnight to Midnight. You would be surprised what would happen. I mean not one drop of fuel bought by anyone for 24 hours. Their refinerys would be so backed up they would have to lower the price just to get the fuel moving. Even if we all fueled by 2359 and did not buy any more fuel until 0001 the next day you would be surprised at the results.

And if we really wanted to hurt them we would not buy any fuel from the big 4 for 1 week (Flying J, Petro, Pilot and TA) even if we chose different weeks we could hurt them enough to get the prices lowered.

I know this seems simple but it would work.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ATeam..You are so correct...a properly adminstered FSC program is crucial for to-days economic conditions.....fuel prices aren't the problem just for us...They effect everyone...the higher the transportation cost, the higher every day living commodities rise....loaf of bread, a dozen eggs, milk...all have increased greatly....though everything else is rising...labour and parts for our trucks...the cost to eat....This is everyones problem.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My idea may seem simplistic but what if everyone did not buy any fuel for 1 day just from Midnight to Midnight. You would be surprised what would happen. I mean not one drop of fuel bought by anyone for 24 hours.

I think you might be more surprised, because nothing would happen. If we went with Wednesday, for example, then for the most part any fuel not bought on Wednesday would be bought on Tuesday or Thursday. Over the course of the week the same amount of fuel would have been bought.

"Their refinerys would be so backed up they would have to lower the price just to get the fuel moving."

Refineries are at 95% capacity right now. It would take no one buying fuel for 18 straight days in order for the refineries to reach 100% capacity. Be that as it may, if demand drops, the refineries will simply scale back immediately to compensate. No one will be backed up.

"Even if we all fueled by 2359 and did not buy any more fuel until 0001 the next day you would be surprised at the results."

Ever seen a fuel pump bagged as "out of order"? Same thing.

"And if we really wanted to hurt them we would not buy any fuel from the big 4 for 1 week (Flying J, Petro, Pilot and TA) "

Hurt them? Who is them? The Big 4 might be hurt, a little, but the oil companies themselves would be fine. Fuel not bought at the Big 4 would be bought someplace else.

"...even if we chose different weeks we could hurt them enough to get the prices lowered."

You really think somebody like the Flying J sets the world market price of crude oil?

"I know this seems simple but it would work."

The only way that the price of oil is going to come down is if you call 'em up and convince China to quit buying oil in the quantities they are currently. China's industrial revolution is fueling the demand for oil and keeping the prices up, almost as much as the weak Dollar is keeping the prices up.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wow working 106 hours in a McDonalds for 1 k a week. Great life that would be.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
Maybe if all of the US factories had not moved to China, India etc their fuel demand (to operate them) would not have increased thus making the fuel skyrocket in USA...so all that junk that we buy from China is causing us to pay
higher prices for our fuel ...does that make sense?:confused:

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Then can you tell me what good a trucker strike would do if we are trying to change the price of fuel?
By the way can anyone tell me who we buy the most petroleum from and also the most crude oil?

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Right so why are we blaming all the high prices on the Middle East?
Also why doesn't the government make the oil companies a utility. OH YEAH....campaign contributions

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
OntarioVanMan I agree with you.
Here is why
1. since the Price of fuel has went up the overall price of freight has stayed the same. The same run I did 12 months ago hasnt change in total price at all how ever I seen the fuel as recored get bigger but the the base has decreased. but the over all has stayed the same. now go figure. Sat I paid 4.26 in PA for fuel. In MA I paid 4.45. big money.
Now when the fuel hits 5 bucks agallon and ur running your tractor trailer for that 148 to 165 a mile and cant make your payments make sure you come on here and tell everyone the truth. Now for those that are running 6wheels or 10wheels U get good milage but if you keep letting these sit on there but companies take ya to the cleaners the only one u have to blame is your self.
Here is a true story. Not so long a go I went to the companies cook out Nerver had on nothing but a polo shirt and a pair of blue jeans.
No one knew I was driver. So a few spewed the beans on how they could get dum drivers to take cheap loads that no one wanted. To be polite I never said nothing just listened. I went away with what I had herd and since I know the very persons names that said this I just politley say NO thanks if its them and the load isnt very good.
Now I agree on a full strike make it last 5 or six days nation wide wake up the dum gov and let them know this whole stupid fuel gas issue is a bunch of hooowwwweeeeeeeeee. Realy it is. Shoot they could do away with the state tax and the fed tax on the fuel and it would drop drasticaly. dont ya think. I do. Then get rid of all the hidden bull ROAR as well I bet fuel could go back down to 90 cents a gallon if not lower. dont you agree.
Last resort if were going to have to be the police for the whole world then lets start charging Opec for our services. As in reality we did protect them from OLE Sadom not to mention a few others.
Now as far as Vensuala goes let Exon take it in the shorts and lets open up our reserves and flood the market.
Who cares about Bushes Mom owning 51% of the Company she is a big girl and if she cant take a loss after that record breaking money they made in the last few months hmm.
I dont want to here about the refine er ries, If we aint got enough well then all the money we be saven from stoping all that foreign aid lets put it to building new ones and give some americans some jobs. hmm HEY I didnt say MEXICANS I SAID AMERICANS CITIZANS.)
food for thought.
save America
PS dont get me started about WALLEY WORLD
I seen the same pair of Pants there by the same company
one was made in Mexico and the other pair was made in EGYPT.
NO Kidding.
No Chains allowed
ICEROADTRUCKER
Ridge Runner

Last edited:

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
I dont think the price of fuel will come down as much as freight rates need to go up and for me to make the same money I did 10 years ago the rates would need to be 5 or maybe $6 per mile

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Well i say the heck with it im down im not going to run another mile in my volvo,,,,ok with that said as soon as the ink dries for the freightliner im gone back on the road. Face it there is only 1 type of hauler that matters when it comes to a strike and thats food. If they shut down it would take 3 days for the stores to run out. The rest of trucking wouldnt have a huge inpact unless everyone :censoredsign: down and we all know that isnt going to happen no one is going to close waiting for a load of 2x4's. As some pointed out with our type of freight some places would close but only until someone else runs the load in. And then we lose the contract. I don't know about you but i don't want to go back to hauling for $1.00 per mile + crappy fsc.Point is It takes food to get people to notice us in large numbers shutting down a factory wont do it. And i dont think it will impact fuel prices but the leaches aka brokers need the light shined on them. Lets face it they are telling shippers well the rates are up because of the fuel prices then they turn around and offer the load at a dirt cheap price waiting for that idiot to take the load. if you can't make a profit damn it dont take it

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Iceroadtrucker,what your saying is,your company has lowered the rate but then gave it back by way of fsc.ok if this is true,then why take the load,its going to loose you money.
Second statement i have trouble with is what you over heard.Ive been to many get togethers at FECC,I dont know where your leased,or work,but here you cant tell the drivers from the owners from the office people,we all dress to have a good time,and the conversation you over heard,that would have got that dispatcher a new job,flipping burgers at McDonalds.If you heard her talking that way,guaranty management did too.
You know if we can get all the truck load carriers to go on strike,just think how busy expedite will be

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
After reading the posting about the April 1st shut down and how the Cattle haulers are hoping more trucks will follow and the couple of articles on OOIDA, I can't help but wonder, how many driver's on here would be willing to park their truck for a few days? And I am not talking about blocking highways, that is just ridiculous and it will only pi** people off.

I know Jim and I would do it in a heartbeat and we would not have to be home to do it.

I know there are driver's that say, shutting down will not change anything. Well, doing nothing, isn't going to change anything either! At this point, I don't really see where it could hurt!

So let's hear it from the rest of you.

I've been talking about a truck strike for weeks now, look at my past posts. Now that there's a real strike,look at all the members on here supporting it when no one would support me before. Ron Paul running for president who wants to do away with the IRS (which is the main reason he got my attention ) , would be a good president to help truckers. look at his web page and see his issues. Ron Paul 2008 — Hope for America or Ron Paul 2008 › Issues
He's aware of the mexican truckers coming into america.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here is a true story. Not so long a go I went to the companies cook out Nerver had on nothing but a polo shirt and a pair of blue jeans.
No one knew I was driver. So a few spewed the beans on how they could get dum drivers to take cheap loads that no one wanted.

In 3-5 weeks this will be the topic of a dozen conversations at as many different truck stops around the country and with no more substantiation of who said what than we have here. That's the reason for success secret 47.

As far as a shutdown, Scuba is right. Unless it's food, it won't have much of an impact.