Would you be willing to shut down??

are12

Expert Expediter
After reading the posting about the April 1st shut down and how the Cattle haulers are hoping more trucks will follow and the couple of articles on OOIDA, I can't help but wonder, how many driver's on here would be willing to park their truck for a few days? And I am not talking about blocking highways, that is just ridiculous and it will only pi** people off.

I know Jim and I would do it in a heartbeat and we would not have to be home to do it.

I know there are driver's that say, shutting down will not change anything. Well, doing nothing, isn't going to change anything either! At this point, I don't really see where it could hurt!

So let's hear it from the rest of you.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
After reading the posting about the April 1st shut down and how the Cattle haulers are hoping more trucks will follow and the couple of articles on OOIDA, I can't help but wonder, how many driver's on here would be willing to park their truck for a few days? And I am not talking about blocking highways, that is just ridiculous and it will only pi** people off.

I know Jim and I would do it in a heartbeat and we would not have to be home to do it.

I know there are driver's that say, shutting down will not change anything. Well, doing nothing, isn't going to change anything either! At this point, I don't really see where it could hurt!

So let's hear it from the rest of you.

You don't know what it would hurt ? In expediting ? How about the loss of a premium account because nobody wants to move a part needed to get a down assembly line back on line ?

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
No, we would not shut down.

The hurt: Our customers are loyal; however, we also realize they have a business to run and may end up moving their business somewhere else never to return.

I'm not willing to risk that and the breech of contract suits that could be filed against us.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I drive a Sprinter. Us van guys seem to be at the bottom of the food chain so I doubt very much if even 50% of us parked it would make a difference. Lately it seems that if I get a load to Texas, or even just south, It's real hard to get a load out. Then dispatch starts offering loads at a discount or with a reduced or no fuel surcharge. I think they are trying but at those rates I might as well park and be money ahead. Its's not a matter of a strike anymore. It's a business thing. I keep good reserves and I plan ahead but loosing money is not part of my plan. You bet I'll shut down. Not as a strike or to prove a point but because it makes no sense to work for nothing.

jwc

Seasoned Expediter
We won't cross the line if there's a shut down. But i don't think the american freight relocation specialest are or ever going to come together to shut down and push for the changes that need to happen. We will all take the BS that keeps coming and find ways to make it work

greg334

Veteran Expediter
NO FILL IN THE BLANK WAY would I shut down.

I listened to XM this morning, the two bozos on that trucking show and then Landline now. I had been thinking about this before and didn't want to say anything but here goes;

It absolutely amazes me that we have truckers supporting the special Olympics, trucker buddy, fund raisers and even some troop homecomings. These are very VERY good things to be involved with and do not take the following as trashing that.

BUT if they can do any of that, what is wrong with them talking to, visiting with, writing to their representatives or getting others involved in politics. Is there some affliction that they have that prevents them from speaking out? I know this is like a broken record with me but you know I think that a lot of truckers want to nothing but cry about it. Their inaction is the problem, it does not mean someone has to be a Hoffa, but someone needs to tell them they need to get off the pot or next thing they will know is there is no more pot. I haven't heard one thing about anyone organizing a visit to Washington, have you? I don't mean a BS stop traffic in Washington visit but one that takes 50 or 75 people from specific districts and go and meet targeted senators and congressmen on oversight committees, or ones who wrote or sponsored bills to help truckers to discuss the problems. You don't think that a group of 50 people will not get the attention of some senator?

Right now I have read three separate articles, saw several interviews and nothing impressed me as an audience that there really needs to be any thing done to help; 'Who cares if Mr. Smith can't afford fuel for his truck, it looks new, he has those chrome things on it and all those lights, I am struggling to make my LA fitness center bill every month because my BMW now cost me $75 to fill up'

I was going to say something in the WIT thread after my wife ask me what that was all about. I think WIT is a good starting place for organized visits, but not to have one person do the talking.

I look at some of these off the wall environmentalist groups and see what they do. It is not rocket science to have a voice but it takes some nerve to get off your a** an do something like this and some passion about the subject. Have you ever met some of these people in these groups, talk about out of touch with reality. :confused:

Oh one last thing, I have made the suggestion to a bunch of trucking organizations about a commercial and/or a short film (documentary), not one group wanted to tackle or even consider it because of the cost, so I put together an RFP and sent it to three poduction companies the other day where I know people at.I want to see what I can get back and maybe meet with the two in the Detroit area when I have my medical down time next week. I am dead serious about helping people, And I have yet to see anything that explains trucking to the public (ZERO)... well anyway... I also got a hold of PBS and a few major market station owners (scripts, etc..) and talked to them about running them as PSAs, maybe to use it as filler. I think that we need the public on our side as professional drivers and it has to start somewhere, right? Well anyway once I get the RFPs back, I will see what I need to do to fund this little project and move it forward. And some of you wonder what I am doing behind this keyboard :)

wombat52

Veteran Expediter
:censoredsign: yes would shut down the unit without even thinking of it i been asking this question for a dam long time when we are all going to wake upto ourselfs .
i do need to say this but guess what i am going to say this ok ..

australia new zealand heck most of the other countries out there has at some time striked for some reason back in 1992 in australia the transport industry had a change of management within the TWU . transport ( workers union ) up till then we were not a real strong union but in the febuary of that year it had a major turn around & they start to get things done then in the late march i think it was they called a major meeting of all shop stewarts from around australia to go to there head office for the union in all the states for a 2 day it was there we learn yep i was a shop stewart that the rank & file was not happy the way the industry was heading & we decided that mass stop work meetings was to be held & no word to be leaked to the media the end of march early april the vote was a total 100% to strike at 12 midnight all transport as we knew it was to stop where ever it made be the result was on this day australia came to a total stop .

and if any of you wish to go to the website the full story is there and how bunker hill just outside of melbourne au as well as all the other city & towns around au came to a shut down this strike lasted for 12 days yes we were told by the government the courts to return to work but no we did not resulting in a new transport agreement being sign now i will make for a comment part ..

but the transport industry in au is one of the most highest pay industrys for blue collar workers in au 5 weeks annual leave six sick days a year free ultra violet sunglasses for all drivers a wide brim hat for all drivers & a union that is so strong that the australian government bows to straight away when ever a log of claims comes in ,,

and drivers we can do that here we really can but it needs to be a total shutdown i hear shut down the tanker drivers no fuel that is :censoredsign: we all need to do it from tractor trailer right down to mum & dad operations even little old joe blow driving his 2 ton truck we really got to do this look at the airline workers a few years back the wharf workers heck even late last year GM but nope we are still bitching about it well the time is right now a lot of owners as well as drivers are loosing there ass because of the high fuel prices the log books laws the scales and i could name a lot of other items because no one got the guts to say we have had enough bring us up to 2008 prices a fair day wage for a fair day work

the way i see it is union us all as a power of 1 and i really do think most of the american public will support us

wombat

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Ive been shut down since last week,it didnt work so we are going back to work today,but seriously,all a strike will do is make john q public mad cause he cant get his beer.If your having trouble,then your not getting enough fsc,so talk to your companies and complain to them,personally,unless I dead head on my own,my income isnt hurting.Now for those cattle haulers,they dont get very good fuel mileage running 75 to 80 mph all day long,not any ones fault but theirs,and if they cant get enough money to opperate,well they need to talk to there companies.I think you will find April 1st there wont be anyone shutting down.we just need to get into the oil companies pockets,stop driving your cars,Get rid of the gas hog suv's carpool,many ways to use less gas,but to the original question,I wont be shutting down.

Last edited:

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Great opportunity to get more Mexican drivers in the U.S.!!!! Yee haw!!!! Go for it. Give the government an excuse to replace all us disgruntled drivers. Shut down. I'll be happy to move the freight for you.

We can't change the price of fuel by shutting down. If you have a contract that doesn't include a Fuel Service Charge, then you are an idiot. And if you insist on driving a fuel inefficient truck down the road at 75 mph, then you are an idiot.

Grow up.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't see why some have thier short hairs in knot. Most of this issue doesn't even apply to us expeditors...most of us have the FSC to cover any increase in fuel...this is an OTR problem for those O/O's.

Like chester said...if your truck is fuel efficient and ya slow down abit and keep unpaid DH low...we'll ride this wave out. I think striking is not an option in our profession.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Would we be willing to shut down? Well, to answer that question it is first necessary to know what the reason for shutting down is.

What, exactly, do advocates of a shutdown want? What, exactly, are they seeking to accomplish with a truck shutdown?

Is the shutdown intended to wake America up to the fact that they would soon be without toilet paper and baby formula if not for truckers?

Is the shutdown intended to dive fuel prices down?

Is the shutdown intended to get the government to povide guaranteed income for truckers?

Is the shutdown intended to make freight brokers more fair in their business dealings?

Is the shutdown intended to shock the economy into better performance?

Is the shutdown intended to reduce truck prices?

Is the shutdown intended to wake up the politicians, and if so, what does that mean ... wake up the politicians?

In other words, who, exactly, are the shutdown advocates trying to influence and why?

Once we know the answer to that question, we can better answer the "Would you shutdown" question.

Also, there is this to consider. We are expediters. We specialize in emergency freight.

Say a trucking shutdown exists. Medical supplies come to a halt as a result. An emergency shipment offer comes to you. A hospital is out of helium gas used to cool its MRI machine. A car accident patient needs an MRI before going into surgery. The MRI is needed to guide surgeons. This is literally a life and death matter for the car accident victim. Do you take the load?

A trucker is stranded at a dealership for want of a part that did not ship because of a shutdown. He wants to get home to attend his daughter's wedding. He orders the part expedited in. Do you take the load?

A grocery store is out of baby formula and diapers. They order the items expedited in. Truckers and their spouses are among those who need the supplies. Do you take the load?

Others who shop at that store include 100 assemply line workers who need their paychecks. The non-union line will shut down if an expedited shipment is not completed and workers will be sent home without pay. A truck shutdown is in progress. Will you take the load?

A tornado strikes a town and does massive damage. Expedite trucks are called on to help provide disaster relief. A truck shutdown is in progress. Do you take the load?

And more to one's self interest. Freight has been slow. Your truck payment is due. A shutdown is in progress. A juicy load offer comes in. Do you take the load?

I am not ruling out a shutdown, but the public backlash to one has the potential to create more public rage against truckers than sympathy. A shutdown could do truckers more harm than good. The more-harm-than-good possibility is something to consider when making the decision to shut down or not.

Last edited:

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
I'd be willing ro shut down - if I thought it would do any good. But, I don't think a general trucking shut down would accomplish anything except (as already mentioned) upset the general public. Get info out to the public about how the high price of fuel not only effects trucker but EVERYONE in higher cost, would be a better approach. In my local paper today - front page! is an article about truckers problems and the higher cost to everyone. I'd say contact your Congressman - but here in Taxachusetts our Congressman (Barney Frank) is only thinking about the bill he just presented to legalize pot nationwide!

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would not shut down.
Having been on the "management side" of negotiations for many years I am not a fan of strikes.
Making a point in a negotiation between management and labor is a far different situation
than the we are finding ourselves in today.
I dont believe our fight is with our companies, but general economic conditions that now face this country.
Would a strike help or hinder the natural recovery of supply and demand?
I know I would welcome positive pro-active help to reduce fuel costs, but not at a price of
selling my soul.
The beast is larger than the cost of a gallon of diesel.
Four or five dollars gallons of diesel would not be a problem if the economy was healthy and freight was abundantly available and money was being made.
A shaky economy, weak dollar, depressed auto industry, national and personal debt, housing industry and failing mortgage industries are some of the main reasons we all are feeling the pinch.
Asking for a fix at the pump is like being told to take two aspirin when the leg bone is sticking out of the thigh, short-sighted.
No I wont strike or shut down.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
A "strike" against some of the low balling brokers would be far more effective, if it was a unified effort. They are your largest enemy's, along with NLM type companies.

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
I second the idea that the "shutdown" would be more effective if it was a shutdown to cheap freight only. (The brokers)

Just make a "per-mile" minimum and stick to it. That's an effective a shutdown as I have ever seen.

are12

Expert Expediter
Great opportunity to get more Mexican drivers in the U.S.!!!! Yee haw!!!! Go for it. Give the government an excuse to replace all us disgruntled drivers. Shut down. I'll be happy to move the freight for you.

We can't change the price of fuel by shutting down. If you have a contract that doesn't include a Fuel Service Charge, then you are an idiot. And if you insist on driving a fuel inefficient truck down the road at 75 mph, then you are an idiot.

Grow up.

First of all,thanks for the compliment, I always like being called an "idiot":rolleyes:

This is part of the problem with this industry, people are so quick to start with the name calling, instead of dealing with the problem. Everone will b**ch and complain about the cost of fuel but no one is willing to take a stand! How do you know what a shut down will or will not do? Would it help? No one knows.

FYI, we do get a FSC and we do not run our truck at 75! And as far as the "grow up", I don't know about you but we did not get into this business to pull money from our reserves to pay for fuel. We got into this business to put money into our reserves.

So, before calling me an idiot, maybe you should get to know me 1st!:D

are12

Expert Expediter
BUT if they can do any of that, what is wrong with them talking to, visiting with, writing to their representatives or getting others involved in politics. Is there some affliction that they have that prevents them from speaking out? I know this is like a broken record with me but you know I think that a lot of truckers want to nothing but cry about it. Their inaction is the problem, it does not mean someone has to be a Hoffa, but someone needs to tell them they need to get off the pot or next thing they will know is there is no more pot. I haven't heard one thing about anyone organizing a visit to Washington, have you? I don't mean a BS stop traffic in Washington visit but one that takes 50 or 75 people from specific districts and go and meet targeted senators and congressmen on oversight committees, or ones who wrote or sponsored bills to help truckers to discuss the problems. You don't think that a group of 50 people will not get the attention of some senator?

Greg,

You make a good point in what you said. I, for one, would be willing to go to Washington. How many other's would be willing to do the same?

Like you pointed out, they would rather whine and cry and leave it up to someone else.

Maybe I should organize a visit to Washington! Anyone willing to go with me??

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
I second the idea that the "shutdown" would be more effective if it was a shutdown to cheap freight only. (The brokers)

Just make a "per-mile" minimum and stick to it. That's an effective a shutdown as I have ever seen.

I shut down over 40 days ago not cause I had to.
but because I set my rate per mile each day at the cost of 1 gallon of fuel in the area I was in works pretty well if your into ltl the way I am.

but with fuel pushing $4.00 per gallon that task became to time consuming for me to be able to justify the hours of work involved to my wife and family 70 hours driving a week plus 2 to 3 days putting the load together so all together you figure I am working 106 hours per week.

If I worked at McDonalds for 106 hours per week even at 7.00 per hour with the 66 hours overtime they would be paying me at least 1k per week.in this thing called trucking I can gross 6k per week easy with a tractor but after I pay for everything I need and do all the work for booking to delivering to deadheading home at the end of the week to do it all again I am lucky to bring home 1,500.
so really why should I invest in diesel when I can work at fartmart.I do know a little about oil and when crude goes to a refinery diesel is the first cut so it takes less time and less money to refine diesel but why is it costing more than gasoline?

anyway back to this strike my two cents worth.10 years ago my rate per mile in a cargo van was about equal to the cost of 1 gallon of fuel in a tractor I could get 1.5 gallons for my rate per mile.

I do think the cost of fuel should be a major issue and I dont think we should even think about starting a truck again untill we can do 1 thing get the companys to pay us at least the cost of 1 gallon of fuel per mile.

and being in a tractor myself that is still saying I am willing to work for 33% less than I was paid 10 years ago.

no cost of living increase the only thing that has increased in the 10 years I have been in trucking/expedite is my cost to operate.

I always thought I would be an o/o till I died but when the guy flippen burgers just has to worry about burning meat or undercooking it and his ROI is higher than mine.so I am giving it up till i can make 5 dollars for every 1 dollar I spend like I did 10 years ago.

if there is truely anyone with any brains driving trucks I suggest they do the same and lets just see how long it takes diesel to come down.I heard some guy I think he was from JB hunt saying todays fuel prices have brung it up to over 40% of his pay for just fuel.
I was at 40% 2 months ago setting the rate to reflect 1 gallon of fuel would be instant fix.
when they run out of food they will pay.you just have to have the things between your legs to watch them suffer.we would be back to work before you knew it 1 month tops.

I hear everyone advise not to get into this biz unless you have so many months of reserve funds so put your fund to good use then and make it happen

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
First of all,thanks for the compliment, I always like being called an "idiot":rolleyes:

This is part of the problem with this industry, people are so quick to start with the name calling, instead of dealing with the problem. Everone will b**ch and complain about the cost of fuel but no one is willing to take a stand! How do you know what a shut down will or will not do? Would it help? No one knows.

FYI, we do get a FSC and we do not run our truck at 75! And as far as the "grow up", I don't know about you but we did not get into this business to pull money from our reserves to pay for fuel. We got into this business to put money into our reserves.

So, before calling me an idiot, maybe you should get to know me 1st!:D

Boy take a chill pill.....he didn't call you an idiot.....he said anyone that doesn't have a FSC..and IF you drive 75MPH....is that you???? If not then this reference does not apply to you.... And YES they are IDIOTS.....