Working to hard

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Hi
Been awhile, dropped a cup of coffee on my old laptop just got a new one.
Just came back with the cats 4 weeks ago and they got me working so hard I don't know what to do.
566 miles in the past 4 weeks, what going to happen when it gets busy. If any of you need any of this money I have made I will share with you, but I really think I will donate it to the dispatchers for working so hard.

Panther Art

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
You need to slow down and take the time to smell the roses. Sounds like you've been burning the candle at both ends.

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Can't slowdown that little redlight on this QC is going to go off anytime now and I will need to go pick that 70 mile load up.
Candle is burning in the middle.

panther art

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Trying to keep that humor, BUT it's about to run out.
After being in expedite for six years coming back in Jan I knew it was going to be slow, but just is just down right bad.
My first two weeks I sat on just about every board in eastern Ohio no loads, so instead of wasting gas I went home to Chester, WV were I used to be on the Pittsburgh board which has been changed to the Coropolis board which is 24 miles from where I live, but no I am on the Parkersburg, WV board a 155 miles away.
I have a brother that lives in PA just 5 miles from me, will deadhead home from most of his trips and as soon as he gets home they offer him a load. So I went over to his place one day while he was out of service, yes they called him to see if he could do a load for them.
When I asked what was going on no one had any answers, but I was told once dispatchers see that I am dependable I will start getting good loads.
I have always been very happy with the cats, 6 years and tons of miles and loads why do I need to prove my self to these kids.

Panther Art

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
You shouldnt have to prove yourself.If you think this is why you are not being loaded,then you havent learned much in the last 6 years.Its not doing you or anyone else any good to complain in this forum,your dispatchers are just getting a laugh.I'm a believer in if you dont have anything good to say,dont say anything.The best recruiter a company has ,are the owner opperators.If your not happy,dont bad mouth them,just dont give them any praise.People dont get into a partnerhip and thats what we have with our respective companies,unless they know as much as there is about the company they are trying to get involved with.No help,less chanse there is for the recruiters.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Depends what you mean by working hard.Hauling your exotic cars is both hard work and very rewarding.As an exotic car hauler you are always busy.There are not really any slow periods,as there are a limit to how many trucks are being used.And yes,you work hard very hard,but you make almost as much money running solo as I do runnnig team,and you run probably 25% less miles than I do.Your doing what you love,and I'm glad that it is working out this well,but you know what,I dont work very hard,some might say I'm over paid,but I love what I do too,and especially where I'm leased.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
glad your back panther-art..i just came back to panther also, i guess i took a 3 month break from them, new truck number that seems close to a million, anyways, i took one load from mich to new york at 588 miles, freight wasnt moving there at all, so i am sitting at a friends house in loraine, oh...got here yesterday about noon, being a newbie that i am they gave me a 301 mile load, picking up at bears towing on sat at 1700 delivering to canada monday at 1700..3 days no layover 12 cent fuel surcharge, someone drove the meat out of the load and didnt want to sit on it...(cant blame them)..turned it down faster then i am writing this responce...anyways i took one load and turned one down so i am at 50% acceptance...hell if i was a dispatcher i would steer clear of me with those numbers...they musta found someone hungrier then i am that took the load, had to of been another newbie, from fridays class..if ya starve someone long enough, they will be glad to get the scraps..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You turned down a 300 mile run? Really? Why is that a newbie run? I mean, more than likely you aren't gonna get another load out of there on a weekend, not in February, you can pick it up Saturday and casually make your way across the border on Saturday night or Sunday when there's not much of a wait in line to cross, likely deliver first thing Monday morning, and with Monday and Tuesday being the two busiest days of the week for loads coming out of Canada, you're likely to get a load back out without having to sit very long. Been banging on my calculator and I still can't come up with a way I'd lose money on that one. I'm sure I'm missing something, though, as that's a newbie load, but I'd have taken it. What am I missing?

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
well we have layover pay 75.00 a day none was offered or given, not enough money in the load woulda been nice, hmm maybe a 1st out woulda helped...its all about the money....if i woulda dead headed out to detroit?? coulda been 30th out..or maybe buffalo woulda been closer, just deadheaded from there, guy with 1st out was sitting there for 3 days...bucyrus is calling me

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
Hi every one I am beack on line I have my housband around me now then I was off for a 48 h , he is very important to me and I don't see him for 14 days then now more attetcion over him, but I miss my friends in forum to...........

Ok about the Canda loads , my housbavd have delivery in 2/15 in Toronto and from this day he have a lot of offers for a loads out from Canada . I am supprise so many offers and during the weekend now and tomorow will be a Family day in ON, no body work very thing will be closed and the Panther offer a loads. We are witha Big truck maybe thay have more in this trucks this week I don't know but thay show a lot of good loads from every where in ON.......
I hope you can have a one to only thing tomorow is a Holiday in Ontario, thay have so many Holidays in Canada , EH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When you pick up a load on Saturday and it doesn't deliver until Monday, that doesn't automatically qualify it for Layover Pay just because you cannot deliver direct, particularly when it's the backend of a swap. Some loads have layovers in them, some don't. But when you say there wasn't enough money in the load, help me out here, cause I still don't get it. Load paid $267.89. Not a lot, granted, but it's not a luzer, unless your CPM is just insane.

Your deadhead percentage of all miles driven in a year must be just... unreal. There's no reason to deadhead out of Canada, especially on a Monday or Tuesday. You'd get a load out of there, especialy on a Monday or a Tuesday, and you'd get it without having to ask for a First Out in exchange for a 300 mile run. But, now you're contemplating deadheading from Buffalo to Bucyrus. Wow. That's nearly 300 miles. You'd need a minimum 700 mile run after you get there just to keep your deadhead to 30%.

Ah! Now I get it. Now I understand. 300 miles, not enough in the load to cover the deadhead you do.
CherryPicker.gif

And here I thought this was a newbie load thing. :D

Incidentally. I delivered a load Friday night in Romulus, where I found myself 9th on the Romulus board, where we do 6 a day. A little while later I was offered a load picking up Saturday but not delivering until Monday, in Windsor. Generally speaking, Detroit to Windsor loads are luzers 'cause they take 5 or 6 hours out of your day and all you get for it is $50 and a First Out, and while you're messing with that you're unavailable for a good paying load.

In this case, I turned it down, because after I delivered I picked up a bolt in my left front tire and had to get it repaired Saturday morning, but I would have otherwise taken it. I'm not likely to get another load out of here over the weekend, so I wouldn't be giving up anything by taking it, and when I delivered at 0800 Monday I'd be first out after a mini, meaning I could sit there and turn down any other mini's offered, without losing my first out, until I finally got a load I liked. And there are a lot of good loads coming out of Canada (and Detroit) on Mondays.

Reactions: 1 person

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
yep asked for it, let me restate this.. was in loraine oh pickup is 65 miles away, maybe they were doing me a favor with the load, sorry i dont see it...i guess i will drive a load 600 miles and drop it before i get to canada..(request a swap) been with panther 2.5 years now so i kinda got an idea about the way they run.... would i sit on a load for 2 days with no incentive??? nope go hire a storage building, its obvious why the guy swapped . i guess if thats the loads you will take, then power to ya....as for me, i can wait.. i realise all loads gotta be covered.. but i wont even think about feeling guilty about that one....if ya wanna run detroit to windsor everyday i guess thats up to you...50.00 plus border crossing doesnt cut it for 4 hours of work...now if its a pickup from a shipper i woulda taken it, the principle stated was people taking the meat and leaving the crumbs...i dont live on crumbs, its all the way or no way.....but its not really a problem because there is 700 other vans out there...which by turning down i contributed to there success...

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
oh i forgot yepp my deadhead is probably at 40% which is way higher then average...in the year 2007 i deadheaded
from portland oregon to ionia mich, approx 2200 miles had military duty
san francisco cal -ionia mich approx 2500 miles had military duty
san antonoi tx - ionia mi miles unknown had military duty
shreveport lousianna-ionia mi had military duty
2 times from knoxville tn to ionia mich had military duty
every month sometimes twice a month i dead head to ionia mi for military duty
is it expensive??? yes very
is it worth it?? yes very much so, its my obligation to our country..
do i like doing it??? no
have i ever had a 100% inservice nope they count military duty as o/s
we currently do 2 military drills of 15 days each.. when i come back from drill my inservice is around 50% it takes forever to get it back up to 90% then along comes another drill and it shoots back down to 80% i am off vacation or 0/s 65 days a year, its all military duty...so nope i dont have the best ratings, however over the 2 years 8 months exp expediting i have managed just over a 90% acceptance...its the price we pay

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
these dead heads for you to do your miitary service you cant blame on your carrier.If you know you have an obligation,taking a load 2500 miles away from home is silly

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
hondaking,

Thanks for posting the info for your specific situation - and thanks for your service.

Personally I'd say you have "a tough row to hoe" so to speak.

panther_art

Expert Expediter
No complaining here, 3loads 766 miles, talked to a dispatcher on Saturday said something's not right, need to call on Monday and try and find out whats going on.
The new system got some off them messed up.

Thinking about going in a ST just don't like that teaming thing.
Was with Fedex for 6 months WG TVAL just to many conflicks with codriver.
You know the pis**ed off thread.
Even Fedex got them kind of drivers

Panther Art