Wood Floor Repair

klippencott

Expert Expediter
I have a section of wood floor that needs to be replaced on my truck. Does anyone know where I could get it done? My home-base is Dallas so I would like to get the work done within a 100 miles of there (if possible). Dallas is a typical big city and it can be very difficult to find someone that will do a good job at a fair price.

I also need some repairs on the roll-up door if anyone knows where to get that done. I could probably do that repair myself but time is an issue.

I saw a truck at the TA in Denton, TX with a sign on the side that said "Bill's Trailer Repair". I circled around to get his phone number only to see him pulling out of the parking lot. If anyone knows who he is that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Bill's Truck & Trailer Repair Inc
11811 East Fm 20, Dale, TX 78616
(512) 601-3379

Maybe this is it, hope so.

Terry

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Be careful you aren't charged as a road service call. That will be a higher cost. Most trailer repair places can fix your door and floor. Floor repair is the trickiest depending on where the damage is. Replacing a entire board on the floor can be expensive depending on the box. A small piece of diamond plate on the floor might work if the box is older and doesn't warrant a expensive repair.
Just an idea.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have had damage in 2 areas on the floor. I had both areas covered with steel plates,about $50.00. Last year I had a new roll up door installed. $825.00

ALVIN

Expert Expediter
i believe Supreme cargo box company is near Dallas, as least thats
where i had my box built.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The truck I'm driving now has a hole covered by a steel plate. We took our first run yesterday, and noticed it when the guy tried sliding the skid in, and the plate nearly tore it up. Is diamond plate that thick that it would do the same thing? Or is board replacement a better option?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think overall board replacement is the way to go. I am not happy with the steel plates.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A small plate is the cheapest fix with replacing the entire board the best solution. The latter can be expensive. If using a steel plate, run it the width of the box and grind the edges so pallets don't get caught on them. I would recommend (grinding) this as well if you use a pallet jack.
If done correctly, the jack will roll right over from the existing wood to the plate with minumal effort.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As Dave says,it needs to be done correctly. Have the screws cxounter sunk and the edges beveled or you will find out the hard way (as I did) when the f/lift driver is too lazy to pick his forks up,he will rip the plate out of the floor, then laugh.

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Well folks you have described both my problems. The floor in my truck was repaired with steel diamond plate before I got it. One area of the steel plate is now rolled back from a smiling forklift operator. The person that did the repair made all the classic mistakes that have been described here. The installer did not grind the edges down or countersink the screws.

All of the problems above was the reason I wanted to have the wood replaced. I could possibly do the work myself (with a helper) if I knew what kind of wood (oak, maple, pine) to use. It also appears the thickness of the wood (1" to 1 1/8")is not standard lumber store varity so, I would have to plane or laminate it.

I could try redoing the steel. I just want the best repair for the time and money invested. I was thinking of using a shop to get a professional wood repair, but maybe I will reconsider and fix it myself next time I'm at home with the saws, drill, grinder, and other tools needed for the repair.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Dimensional lumber is measured in 1/4's so you probably have 4/4 or 5/4 wood. This can be obtained from most lumber supply places. Home Depot or Lowes typically dont stock this but can get it. If you just have a small piece, they sell oak 5/4 stair treads. You shouldn't have to sand or plane a replacement piece. If the above don't stores can't satisfy your need, ask the lumber person at the commercial desk for a source.

Terry

ibdriving

Expert Expediter
First Post

If you are going to patch with plate use steel, and watch and communicate with forklift operators to make sure that they do not drag your floor. Still some will not listen. I have bought a pallet jack and do the loading myself.

Spend the money and do it right with wood it will save you alot of headaches.

Ed

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wait a minute... I'm sure you have 1 1/8" standard wood floor, ship-lap construction, I believe. Check any reputable trailer repair shop. Do an internet search... I think there is a Wards body in Houston? It can be fixed, but labor will be the lion's share of cost. My damaged box (accident) may need flooring repair and the work is being done at a trailer repair shop.

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Just want to update everyone on the progress of this repair project. I spent a lot of time this morning trying to track down the wood I would need for the floor. I tried the local home centers and a few lumber companies and it was not in stock anywhere. I thought I would be able to proceed with Terry's suggestion of using the oak stair treads but my local home centers can't even order those anymore. One trailer repair place said they can get it for me if I order enough to do the entire floor ($1500). If I have to spend that much I may as well buy a new box!

Here's what I'm gona try tomorrow. I'm gona buy some pressure treated 2X4s and rip them on the table saw to the 1 1/8" thickness I need. Then laminate them by screwing them together from the sides till I have a large enough piece for the patch. After the new wood is installed I will put the diamond steel plate back over the wood, but only after I grind the edges to a nice bevel that the forklift tines will slide over.

I have to have this truck back in service on Mar. 6th so I have to do something.

Any thoughts on my plan of action?

ibdriving

Expert Expediter
Start saving for that new box.

WARN THOSE FORK LIFT DRIVERS TO LIFT NOT DRAG THE FREIGHT
AND WATCH THEM CLOSE.

You will be ok.

Ed

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Something tells me Kathy would be a hell of a wife. Works hard,knows wood,does repairs, etc. I bet she even provides beer for some guy.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
WOW, Now thats the kind of co-driver I need, Mine is about worn out....Ouch...just...ouch..Kidding OUCH...OUCH...OUCH !!!
Kathy how are you with first aid???

I guess I better keep the one I got...The old gal seems to have a lot more left in her than I thought!!..OOOOUUUCHHH.

I know, I know...Just shut-up and drive,

Dan