Wood Floor Repair

klippencott

Expert Expediter
I can't help myself! This "mens" work that I often find myself doing started as a child in a home with 7 brothers. What's a girl to do but learn what the rest of the kids learn? I do have the best of both worlds though, when I want help I can turn on my Texas girl charm and get it or if some mechanic is giving me a line of trash I can smile and walk away cause I know better! As I've gotten older I have learned to pick my chores carefully, some stuff gets harder as I get older and it's just easier to pay someone else to do it.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Have you mentioned the size of the hole in your floor? You sound like an accomplished wood butcher so you probably know what I'm about to say. Wood screws like those we use on decks or all purpose screws have little shear strength; they aren't designed to hold the weight of a towmotor. I'd recommend you use a hardened steel or stainless screw to marry your 2X's, particularly since you loose the stability of the missing toungue and groove

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Update on the floor repair:
I finished the floor repair today. The really good news is that I was able to find the laminated wood that I needed at Dallas Trailer Repair. The 1 1/8" wood was right at 7.00 a foot and thanks to everyone's advise I was able to keep the repair under 350.00. I broke several of the screws and torqx bits taking them out. That was a real bummer cause I had to saw around the broken screws then pry the old wood out. One tip the trailer shop guys gave me was to stagger the boards as I replaced them. They said it would give me a stronger repair. The repair looks great, I'm going to re-seal the entire wood floor this weekend if time permits. Next week the truck goes back in service (up north for carrier inspection) I hope.

Thanks for all the great support and advise!

Kathy

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Hay Kathy, Sears has a special drill attachment for those broke or stripped screws. Sears has good ideas on gagets to get us out of trouble. Yes Kathy has a lot on the ball, I'v put 16X24 two story additon w/ 12X32 wrap around deck, also 16X24 wood working shop on bottom level I think she can out do me. You Go Girl
Sincerely Tom Tinker
:) ;) :eek: :-( :) ;-) :D