Women in Trucking - am I too old at 55 to take thi

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Did any other woman feel insecure about driving a big rig/ backing up/ backing up into a dock (gasp!?!)?
My husband would like me to drive with him and I am afraid, though I have not been afraid of much else in my life.
Any (nice) comments would be greatly appreciated.

Helle K. Berry
(no, I am not Halle Berry)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Women in Trucking - am I too old at 55 to take

In the 18 years my wife drove with me she probably backed up a total of 100 feet. Have Jack do the backing until you feel comfortable with it. This year Linder C won th FedexCC skills challenge,lots of backing and positioning ,she is probably not 55 but her and Cherri and other ladies can do it so you can too. Good luck.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

In the 12 years Carol was co_driving with me, she never once backed the truck,nor did the "messy" fueling thing.

Alas her mothers illness forced her to abandon her driving,to become care giver. I miss her and hope she will return.

PS. She was 47 when she started driving.

hptptrucking

Seasoned Expediter

Helle,
I am 45 and new to trucking. I originally went to school in June of this year to get my Class A CDL. At the time my husband was driving an 18 wheeler and I wanted him to be my trainer when I came out of school. He went with a new company where he could become a trainer while I was in school learning to drive then when I graduated in July I signed on with the company. I myself had never been much afraid of anything. I love trucking but I didn't feel very comfy in certain situations with the 18 wheeler like backing and thed big cities at times. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. He trained me for 3 weeks and I then started reading about expediting and the straight trucks. I told him I thought I would feel more comfortable driving them. He agreed to move with me one more time (I have a great husband) and I LOVE DRIVING THE STRAIGHT TRUCKS. I do most of the backing because I am that good at it. LOL... Let me brag a little...
I think you ought to go for it. You can do it. You will love it.
I wish you the best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Tee & Big Pappa
Panther II

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Helle: I too, was very nervous about both driving, and especially backing up, in a t/t. The best advice I can give is to do only what you feel comfortable with: if that means that Jack does all the backing up, that's ok, (as long as he doesn't mind, lol).
If you want to learn to back up to docks, then practice is the only way to be comfortable with doing it. Take advantage of big, empty parking lots on Sundays, to practice following the painted lines on the ground with your tires, while going backwards. If there's a dock around that's empty, use it to practice your approach, until you feel ready to back up to an open dock.
Team driving, like marriage, is whatever the two of you want it to be - there are no rules, except those you agree on.
Good luck, and Happy Trails, and we hope to hear more from you, on EO, ok? :)
PS Backing a straight truck up isn't much more difficult than a 4 wheeler - except for the tremenjous blind spot one must never, ever, forget.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

A very good way to learn about backing is if you rent or borrow a flatbed straight truck. Then you have a rear window to look out of and help to gauge your distance to the dock. Play with for a while also using your side mirrors,then cover up the rear windown and only use the side mirrors.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

I was scared to death of this truck till I drove it! I drove Bob nuts in truck stops. When ever we went to a truck stop and there was a LOT of space I practiced backing into different parking spots. I tried from all angles and also straight. It took me a long time to back into a dock and how I started that was when no one was on the dock to "watch" me (like they really care) I would try it. Now we have found it is easier if Bob goes and checks us in and finds out what dock. He opens the doors I back into the dock he sets the legs and we are ready to be loaded. No problems.

Ok I still don't do the messy thing though! I hate that smell! I do the paperwork and Bob does the fuel we have a routine!

JasonandKim

Seasoned Expediter

Helle
Our plans were when our four children became young adults I would get my class B and we would buy a straight truck and see the country. Well, a little over a year ago that day came. At the time my husband was driving a Freightliner XL classic (long square nose, LOL. I like the KW style better) It was a super 10, not the easiest to learn. I went for my class A because that is what he was driving. I was very nervous about driving and backing up. It took a bit to find the end of the 53' trailer. I did fine on the highways and passing became no problem. I did what I felt comfortable with to start. The more I drove the more confidence I felt and the less nervous. I can back up good, but I never backed into a dock. We just bought a straight truck this will be our second week out with it. I love it. However, I enjoyed the tractor also. I think everyone feel's the same way. With practice, patients and team work you'll do fine.

Jason and Kimberley Hebert
FedEx Custom Critical
D7017

mrgoodtude

Not a Member

We resemble all the above.
Cyn was 50 when she started and now she sounds like an old hand on the CB:+
I fuel, back and wash the windshield she keeps me in clean drawers fair trade off on my opinion...
You will be fine and I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.
Best advice is secure a female mentor that you can talk to as you learn, there are many willing participants on the forum including Cynthia that would be willing to talk you thru some of the challenges.
When we started "special K" aka Marda and Doc proved to be the most valuable of mentors always willing to lend an ear and great advice.
Mike

pelicn

Veteran Expediter

Backing the straight truck was no problem for me, backing that 18 wheeler was another story. I could do it, but I was slower than molasses in January.
Practice practice practice and don't get in a hurry.

silverdollar

Expert Expediter

I will tell you the truth, Yes you are too old to be just starting.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Why in the world would 55 be to old to start into this business? We just talked to a couple that are in their middle 60's still going strong and still loving it! Why not do something you enjoy then to be stuck at a 9 to 5 job you hate?

This is one job where there is not gender or age prejudice so enjoy.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I don't believe gender has anything to do with it. I believe it's all about attitude and commitment. I was really nervous the first time I drove the t/t and that was just on the training grounds of the school I attended. We had two women in our group. One did great and one quit. I didn't know what fear was until we were riding in the back of the truck while she drove. The other one I could have napped while she drove. If you choose to do it and believe you can do it and give 100% to doing it then it's the thing for you. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Silverdollar: can you explain why you think what you said is "the truth"? Because both Mrs Goodtude (Cynthia) and I are living (and working) proof that you are wrong!
Leo: I didn't think gender had anything to do with it either, but I've sure been to a lot of places that have just one bathroom for drivers, and it's labelled "Men"...x(

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Too old? Nothing could be further from the truth. I have met several couples who were over 55. If you are physically able to handle the work, go for it.

I think some people just don't want the competition.. LOL.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator
Expeditersonline.com
Truckme.com

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter

Could it be that Silverdollar thinks 55 is too old for a woman to start driving? Maybe 45, 35, and also 25 are too old? Hmmmmm?
:+ :+

pelicn

Veteran Expediter

Heck, trucking in general is the one profession that seems to attract older people. As long as you can pass a DOT physical...age doesn't matter out here! GO FOR IT!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Cheri, I agree some companies are holdovers from the days when probably not 1 of 1000 drivers were women. Some of them have facilities so nasty even I wouldn't go stand in them. I was thinking more narrowly as far as ability to do the job. In that regard I don't believe gender has anything to do with it. I know several women in this business I'd put ahead of just about all the men, myself included, as far as ability to do the job. I'm lucky that I sort of took to this. By about the third day of school I was skip shifting on my downshifts and the instructor told the others riding in our group to watch what I was doing. I can parallel park too, which isn't any big thing at all unless one looks at those who can't. Anyway, as far as the mechanics of the job, I believe women are every bit as capable as men. If they have a strong stomach for a few of the places they have to go that's a bonus.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter

I was nervous too when we started out on this adventure. I went from a small town only knowing how to drive an automatic car and now I drive a FL112 7 speed double clutch straight truck (took some practice). I found that when we first started driving I chose to drive during the night (less traffic with the hubby asleep) and it really helped build my confidence. Now I drive better than him! (But, don't tell him I said that!)