WIT - why the scare tactic ?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
But see here is the confusing part to many, when 'ladies' want to be treated as part of the profession and considered equals, they should lose the idea of being treaded as ladies.

Maybe that makes my comments more sexiest but it isn't about removing common courteous out of the picture or augmenting them based on gender, but rather having to see equal treatment for all regardless who they are.

Would it be "equal" for you to hold the door for your male counterparts?

Would it be "equal" for you to offer a helping hand to a male driver if he appears to need help?

Would it be "equal" for you to whistle and cat call to a male driver as he walks by?

Equal respect might be the way to go, you sound as though you resent women in the field of truck driving and that's a shame.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I could go on about this all day but I will stop as it is frustrating trying to figure out what women want and how bad some are at expressing this.

just following your lead :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Would it be "equal" for you to hold the door for your male counterparts?

OK I guess. If that's what you like to do.

Would it be "equal" for you to offer a helping hand to a male driver if he appears to need help?

I don't know, I am not considering my self an opposite gender.

Would it be "equal" for you to whistle and cat call to a male driver as he walks by?

Can't whistle and rather think cat calls are reserved for cats.

Equal respect might be the way to go, you sound as though you resent women in the field of truck driving and that's a shame.

Nope, just the opposite. I resent people who make a big deal about the differences and not celebrate the idea we are in it all together.

The point I was trying to make and made with a few off line is if we are to expect people to participate in this profession, then they have to deal with the same thing regardless who they are.

Being respectful cuts both ways, I've met some women who driver truck who were the rudest people I have ever met while on the other hand I have met some of the nicest people who drive truck that happen to be women. I treat them both the same way, I open doors for anyone if I can and many times regardless what gender they are, I will let them go ahead of me in line.

Maybe I'm different, maybe I don't see this profession ans one that has a glass ceiling or needs some special consideration to participate.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Some people were brought up to be respectful of either sex. I'll hold or open a door for anyone. It's just common courtesy.:p

When I was growing up my mother or grandmother would patch my dungarees. Saying "don't go around looking like a rag picker" Now it seems men or women will purposely ruin a good pair of dungarees to cut holes in them for fashion.:rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Amen... AAaaaamen...

What - you thought WE know 'what women want'? :eek:
Actually, it's easy: they want the same thing as men - which is a different thing depending on which one you ask, what day it is, what time it is, etc.
Lumping half the human race into one behavioral pattern or another is the first mistake, cause we don't all want the same thing.
BTW: I've never once felt real fear driving over the road, and I don't 'hide' in the truck, refusing to get out after dark, cause that'd make me feel like I was in prison - I just go about my business, and don't worry about it too much.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Spending any time trying to figure out what anyone wants seems like one of the dumber things to be doing. :confused:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Lumping half the human race into one behavioral pattern or another is the first mistake, cause we don't all want the same thing.

Exactly!

Regarding the comments in the article, I don't see the article, buried on p. 64 of a trucking publication, doing any harm or good to women, WIT or anyone else. Casual readers will see a couple of quotes from a couple of women about safety and probably say, "yah, right" when they get to the request for golf-cart shuttle service at truck stops.

Use your head! I'm a man and I don't walk between trucks even in the daytime at truck stops. I know personally a man who was robbed in the daylight by a group of men, one armed with a knife, when he walked between trucks.

Sadly, stories of other such robberies are not uncommon. You are walking between trucks, a man stops you to ask for a light. Two others appear from behind and you become the next victim of this crew who are skilled in their craft. I avoid such possibilities by walking not between parked trucks but by taking the long way around.

Most truck stop fuel islands are quiet late at night. Instead of parking far away in the dark and then going inside to use the rest room, why not pick the empty pump farthest from the building, park ahead of the fuel pumps like you do after fueling in the daytime, take a few minutes to use the rest room, and then park your truck for the night elsewhere in the lot?

In the daytime when the pumps are busy that would be frowned upon but at night when you are in no one's way and safety is more of an issue, use your head, do your business inside and then park your truck to settle in for the night.

BigWheeler

Seasoned Expediter
I have not read the article, but have read many comments hear and I believe that what WIT have done and continue to do, benefit ALL drivers regardless of gender. As usual there will always be comments by those in this industry that have a problem with change and real growth in our Industry. If the article brings awareness to safety it helps us all. As far as commenting on whether woman should be in trucking, who am I to judge. They are helping our industry greatly and I appreciate that. Thank you Linda for your patience and respect in responding to some in this thread, true professionalism.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally I celebrate the difference in genders and hope that never changes. We can all be equal when it comes to work and opportunity but when it comes to common courtesy and such I am all for keeping things separate. Some who say all should expect to be treated the same are just trying to look like they are this tough person saying you want to be equal well I will show you equal. But then they were probably picked on by the girls at school when they were young.

Stay different women I for one will be a happier person for it no matter how confused it makes me at times.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The whole issue of 'equality' for women had to do with getting paid less for the same work, and anyone who claims women expect total equality is just nuts. I don't want to fix the garbage disposal, and I don't want the man in my life [that's hypothetical, you understand;)] making curtains.:eek:
Women had to fight for citizenship, the vote, property rights, equal pay - all legal issues stemming from the earlier belief that women are inferior. [Most] men understand that it was a mistake to think so, lol, but we will never be equally equal, it just aint physically or psychologically possible. And I'm with Xiggi: that's a good thing!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
we will never be equally equal, it just aint physically or psychologically possible. And I'm with Xiggi: that's a good thing!

Cheri that above statement is perfect! That is why I enjoy Women in Trucking as even though we do the same job as men in many cases we do the job a little different. As far as I am concerned there are jobs in trucking that a lot of women and many men cannot handle due to strength requirements.

I know in many given situations while driving or while moving freight Bob and I handle the situations different. When talking with other women I learn ways to get things done easier that work for me.