Wireless Internet

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Anybody have experience with an ATT wireless?

I have had Verizon wireless and I still have Verizon cell sevice. I like the coverage , but I need to retain an ATT account because I plan on discontinuing my home DSL.

Having an ATT account allows me to log on at McDonald's, Starbucks or a few other brick and mortar locations; therefore, reducing the chances of exceeding the data usage limits. All providers that I have reviewed have go to a 5GB cap on wireless usage. When I am close to a Mickey D's or Starbucks I can use the internet without affecting my wireless (Aircard) limit of 5GB.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Hey, Rev good to hear from you. I have AT&T and am very happy with them. I've never had anyone else but I've never had a reason to want to change. That's my 2 cents. Happy Thanksgiving.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have the ATT aircard and so far am satisfied with it. I believe the Sprint I used to have was probably 10-20% better as far as signal quality and speed but I'm saving about $70 a month with ATT so I can put up with the slightly less impressive service.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I use my blackberry for 98% of my web surfing best part its on the boost mobile network $50 p/m for UNLIMITED phone,internet and text and coverage is good. And all in ur pocket

guido4475

Not a Member
I love my AT&T wireless aircard and service.I love it when I get a fast 3g signal, but at home all I can get is the slow 2g signal.But I have AT&T for everything and would not change. Their customer service is awesome.

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
We use a 5g air card and between the two of us playing an online game we have yet to break 4.5 gig in a 30 day period. Occasionally we can park close enough to Starbucks or even walk in one, which helps reduce air card usage but maybe by 10% total.

The deal between Starbucks and Att is that we only have to use our Starbucks card to keep the account active. Starbucks says we can then use their free wifi for two hours a day but we've actually gone over this two hour limit and not been penalized.

Unfortunately, McDonalds does not have the same leverage with Att because Att requests a credit card to activate and initiate your two hour limit and then places a counter on your screen just so you know how much time you have left. We only used this option once and we may have even paid for it. It was not worth the trouble to us because McDonalds is not a comfortable place and we rarely eat there so it's an option we can fortunately avoid for the most part.

Between the air card and Starbucks we're pretty happy with the usage we've managed. We can actually watch Hulu programs with the air card as long as we have a decent signal. Two or three times in an hour long program we may have to give it time to buffer back up but this seems related to how good our signal is.

It would seem that with an Att account you would not be held to that two hour limit at Starbucks or that counter issue with McDonald or other vendors who rely on the Att network.

So I guess to be honest, our experience with an air card has suggested we can enjoy most of what is available on the internet without needing the Att network; however, we may have the option of using att through a family member account; which we may take advantage of.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I had a verizon Wireless Aircard that was also unlimited, but I let it laspe and when I went to reinstate that account they would only offer me 5GB.

Hang onto your current account and hope that it remains unlimited when it comes up for contract renewal.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I also have boost. My phone isn't that great though. So are you using your blackberry to sign on to EO here? I had always thought that internet on your phone was like Internite Lite, if ya will. That it wasn't quite as good as the internet ya got on your computer.

Also, I checked into the wireless internet. I checked w/ the Big 3.. Verizon, Sprint, & ATT. All 3 told me for the things I wanted to do, namely poker, that the 5G's would be used up pretty quickly & that it's more for email, message boards, etc than it is for gaming & such.

So if I could just upgrade my phone & at least get EO & a few things like google, sports scores, & such on a Blackberry, that might be the way to go.

I use my blackberry for 98% of my web surfing best part its on the boost mobile network $50 p/m for UNLIMITED phone,internet and text and coverage is good. And all in ur pocket

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Guido, you must have been grandfathered in. As was mentioned, don't cancel that contract. As of a couple of weeks ago, unlimited wasn't offered.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Forgive me if this sounds stupid, If I get a laptop(I don't have one yet) that is wireless internet ready, shouldn't it just pick up a signal if one is available,doing away with the need for a aircard?

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
dhalltoyo I have an ATT air card with 5gb also, I've had few if any problems. A call to the att customer service is usually all it took.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Forgive me if this sounds stupid, If I get a laptop(I don't have one yet) that is wireless internet ready, shouldn't it just pick up a signal if one is available,doing away with the need for a aircard?
"if one is available" is the key. Even then, it may be one, like at the Flying J or Pilot or TA where you have to pay to use it, or like at many motel where you need a login/password to get online.

Even at places like the truck stops where you've bought a daily, monthly or yearly plan, the signal isn't guaranteed (particularly true of van drivers where the signal out in the car/RV/van lot is extremely weak or non-existent at times). There are several places that offer free, unsecured WiFi, like Panera Bread, many Krystals, lots of motels, but do keep in mind that even with those you are not really supposed to access them without the owner's permission (there's a law, illegal accessing of a computer network), so be careful and don't abuse it.

So with truck stop WiFi being inconsistent, and with having to run all over town looking for a free hot spot, many people are content with just an Aircard, since it works most anywhere, from the consingee's parking lot to the back row of the truck top. Others prefer to augment their Aircard with one or more truck stop plans. If you get an laptop (notebook or netbook) I'd recommend getting it up front without an Aircard and see how it works for you with just WiFi. If you can't get the coverage you want out of WiFi alone, you can always add an aircard, or even tether your phone for broadband Aircard-type access, depending on which phone you have.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Thank god i got my at&t card a long time ago i have a 15 gig with a soft top which means that even if i go over i wont get charged. I made them put that in writing that i can't be charged for going over because i bought an unlimited plan. The only thing is i have to pay full price for any new modem. Because if i want an upgrade modem at a discount then i lose my plan and get into the new 5 gig plan. I download movies watch tv etc on my computer so i would go way over every month.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Turtle,
There are several places that offer free, unsecured WiFi, like Panera Bread, many Krystals, lots of motels, but do keep in mind that even with those you are not really supposed to access them without the owner's permission (there's a law, illegal accessing of a computer network), so be careful and don't abuse it.

no there isnt a few years back a Starbucks had a guy arrested for "stealing wifi" the guy went all the way to the supream court which said since you as the owner of the wifi has a way to block others from using it and you dont do that then you are inviting anyone to use it for free. If the wifi is secureed and you get into it then you are stealing wifi and can be arrested for doing it

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"if one is available" is the key. Even then, it may be one, like at the Flying J or Pilot or TA where you have to pay to use it, or like at many motel where you need a login/password to get online.

Even at places like the truck stops where you've bought a daily, monthly or yearly plan, the signal isn't guaranteed (particularly true of van drivers where the signal out in the car/RV/van lot is extremely weak or non-existent at times). There are several places that offer free, unsecured WiFi, like Panera Bread, many Krystals, lots of motels, but do keep in mind that even with those you are not really supposed to access them without the owner's permission (there's a law, illegal accessing of a computer network), so be careful and don't abuse it.

So with truck stop WiFi being inconsistent, and with having to run all over town looking for a free hot spot, many people are content with just an Aircard, since it works most anywhere, from the consingee's parking lot to the back row of the truck top. Others prefer to augment their Aircard with one or more truck stop plans. If you get an laptop (notebook or netbook) I'd recommend getting it up front without an Aircard and see how it works for you with just WiFi. If you can't get the coverage you want out of WiFi alone, you can always add an aircard, or even tether your phone for broadband Aircard-type access, depending on which phone you have.

Thanks Turtle That expained it very well, I keep asking my kid to explain it but he won't put down the xbox long enough to help, I'm looking at netbooks, I like the small size.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i used to have a j acct but i am letting that lapse. we bought a verizon mifi so we can both be on the wifi at the same time. 59.95 and 2 yr contract with a 5 gb ceiling. never gonna get ther so there is also a 39.95 option also.

banditt11

Seasoned Expediter
Hello I haven't posted in quite a bit but I have been lurking for a long time. I just got the verizon aircard and it works out great for me. I actually use it to check out Google earth. When i am being sent to a new place it's nice to see what it looks like before I even get there. I also use it with Skype and video talk to the wife quite a bit on it. I have heard that although Verizon honors the unlimited usage for some they have the ability to slow down the speed until you take a bit of a break from using the aircard.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Well ur regular phone dosent have a true web browser but the blackberry does I use opera web browser on my. Bb. Surfin on ur bb is just like a computer a bb is just a mini handheld copmputer

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problems are the BB is slowwwww comparatively and the screen is tiny comparatively.