Winter Tires for C/Vs

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Nokian recently changed their winter tire line. They now have 2 tires available for cargo vans but not available in all the sizes we want or need.

The WR series is sold as a winter tire and an all season. I've been using these for over 3 years on my cars and they actually work as both. I've been waiting for them for the Sprinter and they do make the size for the older ones 225/75-16 but not the bigger newer versions 245/75-16. I've got one set with over 60k miles and still usable. Not sure how they would do on a commercial use van but from what we've seen so far a decent tire.

Nokian has both the WR in C Cargo and the Hakkapelitta in C Cargo (instead of LT) and both are decent winter tires. There are others out there like Toyo and Blizzak. Both being highly rated.

Putting on snow tires makes sense if you're running northern US and in Canada. Better traction at lower temps and better traction overall makes it safer in all weather conditions.
Due to tire material compounds for snows they usually wear much faster than all season or summers. This was what lead me to the WR when looking for new tires for the one car, I wondered why they didn't make a better all season snow. Well the WR is it so I tried it. Definitely does as advertised (although finding an ad for these is hard). Worked so well first year on one car I installed on the other as well.

It doesn't matter the brand if they work but it is better for us the safer we are out there. I used to change tires every fall but of course these last couple of years I haven't been doing the mileage to warrant.

Anywho thought I'd mention these things as I've tortured a set for so long and have been impressed with their winter performance even in the second and third year of use.
ROb

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The problem with winter tires in expediting is, you install the tires and then spend the next 3 months down south, or driving up north on already cleared roads. Last winter I drove on snow-covered roads once, maybe twice. Once that I can remember, but there may have been another time.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
This will be my 3rd winter on Firestone transforce HT's and I have never had an issue with them in the snow..and as Turtle said, about the time you invest in winter tires, you will spend more time down south, out west or on clear northern roads....

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
never used snows on the vans. when the weather was bad early this year in ny state we and everyone else got off the hwy. woke up the next day and the hwy was clear.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
never used snows on the vans. when the weather was bad early this year in ny state we and everyone else got off the hwy. woke up the next day and the hwy was clear.

Good thinking . In inclement conditions you don't have to just worry about the ability to control your vehicle . You have to worry about everybody else's ability to control their vehicle . You don't see many of them concerned about their tires .

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Well I can understand your points it was just the fact that these winter tires are also sold as all season type as well. So the advantage was no changing out the snows at seasons end (the WR specifically). While road clearing is getting good there are the few times where snows might come in handy. If running north end then the colder temps can have an adverse effect on the tire being able to handle. Once you go below 40F highway and all season tires usually do not work like in warmer temps. So this was a decent compromise for me and yes I live where it snows so I have the next 4 months to suffer with the white stuff and the ice.
Rob

guido4475

Not a Member
It is not only about the temp of the tire, outside air, etc, but also the peace of mind knowing if you encounter a situation un expectantly, youre prepared for it.How many deliveries do we in a van,come upon, that takes us in the middle of no where?Being too cheap for something that is a writeoff to begin with will get you in trouble,eventually.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Never cheap out on winter tires in this biz....take it from a cheap azz...ME...

I have the GY ATV Wrangler snows on mine...overkill? maybe but man do they take a bite in the snow!!...

transporter

Expert Expediter
reminds me of a story couple years ago about a couple rottweilers that attacked a car and bit/ripped the tires off the car. now we know were you got ragman from.

R--rottweilers
A--attack
G--goodyear
M--michelin tires
A--at
N--national tire and battery (NTB)

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
reminds me of a story couple years ago about a couple rottweilers that attacked a car and bit/ripped the tires off the car. now we know were you got ragman from.

R--rottweilers
A--attack
G--goodyear
M--michelin tires
A--at
N--national tire and battery (NTB)
Now I know who stole my eggnog .