Winter Driving

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have started noticing a chill in the air which reminds me winter is just around the corner. When winter starts getting close I really start watching the weather and we will refuse loads going into a area a storm is heading. I also when driving at night and weather is unstable watch the wheels of the vehicle that passes me to make sure they are throwing up a spray of water. That way knowing the road is not an ice rink. As the snow starts sticking to the ground I have a tendency to want to slow down more then I need to. I have started checking the road conditions when there are no other vehicles around by first applying the brakes slowly and then increasing the pressure, this will let me know how slick the road is. How do the rest of you get threw the winter months or do you have any questions on driving in the winter? I do know that I sure worry about this a lot more then Bob does.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Adjust your speed according to conditions and increase your following distance. I also like to keep the cab cool. I try to refrain from running the defrost. I set the heat for the floor vents only. Dry snow will usually blow right off a cool windshield. Warm glass causes the snow to melt and then freeze on the wipers.

Someone on here once posted about dropping the tag axle in slippery conditions. I didn't respond, but to me that would seem to take some of the weight off the drives. Not something I would want to do.

Come mid November I will put four 70# tubes of sand in my van for ballast. When empty or lightly loaded these tubes are placed just forward of my rear axle. Once in route to pick up 2 skids at 2800# I stopped at a truck stop in Nebraska and filled in the potholes in their lot with sand.

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
Those tips are great! This winter will be my first driving our straight truck, I'll be honest I'm a little nervous. I already told the hubby if I get too nervous when the weather is bad I'm pulling it over!

Any other tips?!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You make an important point, Lisa: all the great tips, like Moot's sandbags, & Linder's test-braking, aren't enough sometimes - if the road is more suitable for skating than driving, get off if you can, pull over if you can't. Keep a lightfoot on the pedals, and an ear to the CB, and pray that the next load is goin south, lol. ;)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Some tips from a "Skid School"I attended.

For Trucks WITHOUT Antilock brakes.
In a skid first depress the clutch pedal (Auto tran put into netrual) Brake as little as possible. Keep your eyes focused on WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.(Not the direction the truck is going) This will help you steer and countersteer to get back under control.
Never Never LOCK UP the Brakes.

For Trucks equiped WITH Antilock Brakes.
FULLY depress the brake until vehicle comes to a complete stop. DO NOT PUMP the brake petal.
Remember ABS cannot compensate for speeding or following too close.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I really noticed last year that there was a huge difference in drivers speed on roads that had snow on them. Some still ran way beyond the speed limit and others where well below the speed limit. When would it be best to put your flashers on? My stress on those roads is really high as first I am afraid of the dreaded skid from driving to fast and having to break, my second fear is then driving to slow and being rear ended.

If the roads are to bad I will pull over and let dispatch know what is happening and why we are being delayed. In the winter we take very little time for stopping so if we do run into bad weather we have extra time.

G

I love the winter weather; but, I don't like the winter driving. The advice I am about to give you was given to me in 1975 by an old time truck driver and it has served me well for all these many years. He told me that on snow or snow pack (only fools or newbies drive on ice) when you are driving at a speed that you are comfortable with then you need to slow down either 10 or 15 miles per hour...that is your safe speed. More advice is to watch the traffic...when you no longer see traffic coming towards you then find a place to park bacause it has gotten too bad up ahead. Also, keep your CB on to listen to the chatter....this is about the only time that the cussing and "naughty" boys talk only about the road conditions. And, finally....when you can only average 30 miles per hour it is time to stop. Not only for your sanity but because you are not really making time. Your life and the lives around you are more important than any load you are carrying; plus, the place where you are going has probably sent everyone home anyway.
This is the time of year that your instincts and common sense will keep you safe....
Drive safe & stay warm!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Great... the season I hate to love.

I have been in some fun situations, the best one was spinning out on M 14 on my way to Ann Arbor; around and around I went.

My advice is don't be intemidated by the weather, but be alert. if you feel tired, pull over - winter driving will make you even more tired. as for equipment; winter blades are a good buy but the item I want to get is the Hot Shot windshield washer heater.

Also as for ice, don't forget black ice. I met black ice once and was so surprised went the other way from the was I wanted to go. watch out when the temp drops.

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
I remember about 10 years ago I encountered the worst white out anyone could be in, I was driving a school bus and the only thing I could see was the snow in front of my headlights, I could'nt see the ground in front of me, the only way I made it out was to look out of my drivers door window to look for weeds sticking up from the snow on the side of the road , which let me know that I was still on the road. I followed that for about 1/2 hour until I got the kid home.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My only winter fun (so far at least) was driving on 469 around Ft. Wayne one winter. I was driving maybe 50 and on one bridge (that looked as clean and clear as all the rest) the rear end came around toward the passenger side about 6-8 degrees and I finished the bridge in the left lane after starting up in the right lane. Luckily there was nobody nearby and it was just a little "skating" diversion on my trip.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bridge Freezes RE: Winter Driving

Yes, always remember that the bridges and overpasses will be icy or icier than the roadway. Also watch for those shady spots where the sun doesn't get into and melt the snow during the day.

>My only winter fun (so far at least) was driving on 469
>around Ft. Wayne one winter. I was driving maybe 50 and on
>one bridge (that looked as clean and clear as all the rest)
>the rear end came around toward the passenger side about 6-8
>degrees and I finished the bridge in the left lane after
>starting up in the right lane. Luckily there was nobody
>nearby and it was just a little "skating" diversion on my
>trip.
>
>Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
>Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
>Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
>EO Forum Moderator
>----------
>Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you
>like.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Keep Warm RE: Winter Driving

Not a driving tip...but keep warm and dry.
The best thing to wear when you are outside is a touque. You Americans call it a stocking cap I believe. It covers the head snuggly and covers the ears. It holds your body heat; the head is the worst for loss of body heat.
Next; I call them Ski-Doo boots; rubber cleated boots with removable felt liners. Keep your feet warm and dry!
And..warm dry gloves; mittens are the best of course because your fingers are all in one place and holding the body's heat. You can't do much work wearing mittens though; so good quality glove are a must.

You should have this bare minimum of items for each driver close at hand in the truck in case of emergencies.
Also; even if you have an expensive bunk heater get an arctic grade sleeping bag.
If the truck breaks down or gets snowed in somewhere you need warmth.

It seem a lot of drivers are located in the southern USA but will come to the Great lakes area on their trips.
Don't be scared of the snow but respect it.

Oh;other things...hold the steering wheel lightly but firmly. Don't grip it so hard your hands hurt.
Don't use high beams in heavy snow; the lights will just reflect all the snow flakes.
Keep your windshield clear.
Don't squirt washer fluid until the windshield is warm; hard to see through that sheen of ice.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RE: Keep Warm RE: Winter Driving

I start the winter driving season by filling my windshield washer reservoir with -35 degree purple washer fluid and adding RainX concentrate. I refill as needed with -30 degree blue fluid. Shop around and check the label for temperature rating. Most WalMarts sell washer fluid that is only rated to -20 degrees.

I tried winter blades once. The type with the rubber cover. Didn't care for them. I prefer Bosch Micro Edge blades. I always began the winter season with new blades and usually replace them again in February.

I agree with RobA, warm clothes, boots and a quality sleeping bag are essential. I also carry a cache of granola bars, two candles, and several of those small chemical heat packs in addition to my butane heater.

There is no time like the present to begin taking inventory. Be prepared and be safe. Merry Christmas and have a happy New Year.

Sleigh bells sing, are you listening...................

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Heck Moot I thought that was the sound of our tire chains jingling!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I think you guys just gave Packmule some ideas for a new song. Christmas Songs of the Expediter. How bout it Pack? Maybe September is a bit early.

Packmule

Expert Expediter

Moot, Still a little too early for Christmas Spirit but maybe I can come up with something between now and the.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Keep us informed, please, cause I'd sure enjoy hearing those sleigh bells singing...:+

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Ya know I think I mean sleigh bells ringing. Anyway I expect Packmule to have a new song by November. Good luck Pack. I'm sure you are up to it!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
While I was born and raised in Wisconsin and have always called Wisconsin or Minnesota home, I've never been a big fan of winter. When the snow falls, I'm more of an indoor sports and entertainment guy than outdoor.

Driving truck is great for a Northerner like me who dislikes Winter. Every day South out of the snow is a bonus. While for a life-long Southerner, every day North in the snow is a penalty.

I developed my winter driving skills early in life with my teen-age peer group. We used to take cars out on large frozen lakes, get them up to highway speeds and throw them into a spin. It was great fun in the dark, watching the headlights act like airport beacons as the cars spun across the ice. While that is just a nutty thing rural-Wisconsin teens did back then, it also taught us a fair amount about handling a car in a skid.

In my first winter in a straight truck, I was glad to find an iced over open area where Diane and I could put the truck into a deliberate skid to see how it and we acted. We were far more careful then than I was at age 16 and we came nowhere near throwing the truck into a full 360 degree spin at high speeds. But finding a safe place to practice skid your truck can be a good education and confidence builder, especially for those with little winter driving experience. Start with very small and slow skids to get a feel. Learn what to expect when your ABS brakes kick in. Give yourself a safe place and time to learn how you and your truck will behave if you have to stomp on your brakes or steer out of s tight spot on ice or snow.

Regarding storms, our approach is different than some. If it is an obvious blizzard that locks up a region tight for days, we will of course avoid it. But if it is just a prediction of bad weather, we'll probably take a load in; being prepared to wait things out if we become snowbound. There's nothing heroic in that or reckless. People who live and work in the northern states do that all the time. You do your work and prepare for the weather.

To that end, we carry enough food, water, and survival clothing to keep us alive in the harshest conditions. Plan to survive an extended stay in sub-zero weather in and around a truck that will not run; and then hope you will never find yourself in such a spot.

Of course, you'll want to keep your truck in tip-top winter driving forum too...drain air brakes, keep extra wiper blades handy, use winter-weight oil...all the common sense basics.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Some tips from a "Skid School"I attended.

Redytrk,

Can you tell us more about this skid school? Is it a place where skid pad training is available for straight trucks? Does anyone else know of such a place?