Windows 8

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Was curious if anyone has experience with this and the Surface Pro. From what I see in ads it is completely different.
Thumbs up or thumbs down?
Current debating whether to get one to learn on it while the others are still working well verses a forced in to it at the last minute.

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
Dave I have it on my tablet. It works good there because it's touch screen. I really think it would suck on a normal laptop. It was mainly made for a touch screen product.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Santa brought me a new Dell desktop for Christmas. It came with Windows 8. I had some kind of old Windows on my ancient desktop and Windows XP on my laptop. Most new versions of Windows are just a little bit better than the previous version with a few clunkers in the mix. I like XP and my wife has Windows 7 on her laptop. Windows 7 is cool, cooler than XP, so Windows 8 would logically be cooler than Windows 7 and way cooler than XP, right?

Wrong-o-dong-o! Windows 8 is totally different. There is no Start Menu. There are no icons, but in their place are Charms. You don't "click" on a Charm like you would do with an icon, you tap the Charm. Yum, magically delicious. To get at what somewhat resembles a start menu, the thing with the Charms you have to move the cursor along the right side of the screen and flick it out toward the middle. It takes a certain wrist motion to succeed at this and I wasn't very good at it. The computer came loaded with 3 video tutorials. The first two lasted about 90 seconds, with 30 of those seconds a loud glitzy musical introduction. The third video was longer, but was nothing more than a glorified advertisement for the vast array of apps that could be purchased.

I had this computer for a few days between Christmas and New Years while trying to master it. I readily admit I have a bit of an aversion to change, especially drastic change to things that really didn't require that drastic of a change in the first place. Its like if all U.S. auto makers began only making cars with the steering wheel and other controls on the right side and in the back seat.

My wife will vouch for my aversion toward change. She got so tired of my whizzing and moaning about Windows 8 that she was willing to trade her laptop for my desktop. She played around with Windows 8 for a few hours before announcing: "This POS is getting returned!" Good thing Santa shops at Costco. We returned the computer the next day for a full refund. When asked if anything was wrong with it, my wife replied: "Its loaded with Windows 8." The woman at the service counter just said: "Oh" followed by a more knowing: "OH!"

Costco did not sell any computers with Windows 7, either in the store or online. Same with Best Buy. I did find a Dell desktop at Dell.com with Windows 7 and that sucker had 2 terabytes of some kind of memory. A couple of weeks later I got my new computer and began setting it up. Windows 7 has a neat desktop display that includes gadgets. So I customized my desktop, downloaded all my necessary programs, music and photos. Did I mention that this computer has 2 terabytes of memory. I downloaded late into the night. When I was tired I shut down my computer. A window popped up that told me I had Windows updates from Microsoft, 39 of them and that my computer would shut itself down after the last update was downloaded and I was sleeping.

The following morning I fired up my new computer and got the blue screen of death. I did the Control/Alt/Delete thing and got the black screen of death. Called Dell, their customer service has moved back to India. I got the run around from them. All they did was read from a script and try to sell anti-virus software and other crap. Found product return info on the internet and talked to a person based in the U.S. and got a return authorization and a refund. Went out and bought a Mac Mini. The Mac is okay, much better than Windows 8, but I still like XP and 7.

My old Sony laptop is dying so I bought a new Dell laptop with Windows 7. Computers with Windows 7 are getting hard to find. I have only had this laptop a few weeks but really like it. From some of the stuff I've read about Windows 8 it seems geared more for touch screens.

Hope this little tirade was helpful for you Dave. If you would like another opinion, pm your phone number and I will have my wife call you.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sounds like it could be challenging to say the least. I think the surface pro is touch screen only?
Does it have a rubber case and waterproof? Just in case I throw it out back in the pool.:cool:
My concern is eventually, is this all that will be left so we have to adapt. I currently use XP and have good luck with that. Like you Moot, I am alittle touchy on trying something new that is electronic. The replys are much appreciated as I tap my fingers. "What to do, what to do"?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gotta feeling that windows 8 is going to have the same fate as windows ME, and Vista.

Dave, If you can work XP windows 7 is preaty close with little learning curve required. It took only a couple hours of goofing off with Win.7 to get the hang of it. It will run most older microsoft programs as well.

Good luck.
Bob Wolf.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Might wait a little bit. I seen a business report today that said computer sales slowed 13 percent due primarily to Windows 8. Supposedly they are coming out with a "Blue" addition this summer. Suppose to have a few changes and a start menu. That might convince me to wait a bit or find a 7 for a backup.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My concern is eventually, is this all that will be left so we have to adapt.
If you have a smartphone with icons, like an iPhone or an Android phone, you're already adapted, since that's all it is.

The new "Metro" interface may make an OK tablet interface, but it's ugly and useless on the desktop or a regular laptop. It requires users to forget everything they ever learned about Windows and learn an entirely new way of doing things for no real reason. True, with Windows 8 you can set it up and use a more traditional Windows interface, but you know what would have been a lot better? If Microsoft had just kept the Windows 7 Aero interface for the desktop version of Windows 8 and give up this idea that the Metro touch-friendly interface is for every device, because it's not.

As abysmal as Windows Vista's adoption was with users, and it was pretty bad, Windows 8 adoption sets new records in low adoption.

win8vsvista-600x365.png

And Windows 8's failure is actually greater than it appears. The tablet and phone markets in 2007 were next to non-existent. In a market where tablets will likely outsell notebooks by year's end, neither Windows 8 nor its cousins Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 even appear on NetApplication's mobile and tablet reports for February 2013. How bad is that? Android 1.6, with is tiny 0.02% of the market makes the list, which means Windows 8 is less than 0.02% of the market. Linux has a lion's share compared to that.

If you like the touchy-feely features of a tablet or smartphone, then Windows 8 is your guy. Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7, but that's about it, and that dual interface mess makes it slower for practical purposes. And it brings nothing new, innovative, exciting or engaging to the desktop. Nothing. It reminds me of Scotty picking up a Mac mouse and saying, "Computer? Hello computer?" Just use the keyboard. How quaint.

Windows 8 had cause the most precipitous decline in PC sales in history. That's impressive.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Not a fan of windows 8.

Ditto.

Me and the sibs bought our mother a new desktop computer for xmas, as her laptop was crapping out. The new desktop came loaded with Win 8.

Sit and try to teach an octagenarian how to adapt from Win XP to Win 8 and a whole new visual way of doing things, and you will know the frustrations of complete exasperation. She's actually hip to using iPhone and touch screens, but this OS, Windows 8, on a desktop computer without touch technology is maddening to try and teach, much less use.

I'm betting it is much more understandable and usable on a Surface Pro. Go to one of the fandancy new Microsoft stores, Dave (often within spitting distance of Apple Stores in your favorite mall) and try one out. Probably nowhere near as frightening to get used to on a touch screen as you think.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That might convince me to wait a bit or find a 7 for a backup.
Go online and look for Windows 7 computers. I like Windows 7. Its an improvement over XP and it has gadgets. Gadgets are good!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have 8, I hate it. I did find a fix that helps thing work better. It's a free download called "Classic Shell". It gets rid of the "tiles" that "metro look". I have mine set up in an "XP" shell. Makes things work MUCH better and it is far easier to find things. It is a "shareware" program. Now I need to figure out how to get rid of the "Charms" next.

Welcome to Classic Shell

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
After reading everyones post maybe I need to go to Windows 7. This 8 thing is making me nervous.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't like the interface but I also have a lot of problems like when using one program it will bounce to the previous one up. This happens without getting near the window corners where these functions are. It can happen 4 or 5 times in a row, very frustrating. I'm OK on computers too.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Once maybe as I am a patient person.:rolleyes: By the third time of that, out in the yard it goes. :cool:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After reading everyones post maybe I need to go to Windows 7. This 8 thing is making me nervous.

I have 7 and found no significant learning curve when I switched from XP. What I've seen and heard about 8, I have no need or desire to change.