Will Trump's Take on Trade Be Boost or Bust for Fleets?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If using your example, it is still a win-win for the US. If because of high labor, we move on to advanced robotics, it is still more advantageous to do it here and keep the money here. Under that scenario, there is no advantage to do anything in Mexico.

On a side note. We can use the closed Mexican factories to house refugees from Syria and elsewhere. Again, everyone wins. :D
I got a true laugh out of that one. I signed in- forgot password and all- just to come on here and give it a like.
Who are you? ;)

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I would be more inclined to look harder at Wall Streets /stock markets role in the problems in the heartland , than the free trade agreement

jimmy

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would beimore inclined to look harder at Wall Streets /stock markets role in the problems in the heartland , than the free trade agreement

jimmy
They are more or less one in the same. Free Trade agreements, at least since the end of WWII, are intended to promote globalism. Globalism and free trade is good for corporations, and is thus good for Wall Street. Wall Street investors constantly pressure public corporations to improve their bottom line. Free Trade, in general, is a good thing, as it leads to more prosperity for nearly everyone. But after a certain point, when individual free trade agreements are made, the balance of free trade inevitably tips to that of those doing the trading and makes the poor and working class poorer. Commodities dumping is a good example of that. Like, what would happen if US farmers shipped their subsidized corn freely to Mexico? It would ruin Mexican farmers, the same way that China dumping cheap, subsidized steel did to the US steel undustry.

Protectionism doesn't work, at least not in the long term. What does, though, is Balanced Trade, something first popularized in the US by Warren Buffet in 2003, but something that several European countries have been doing piecemeal for certain industries since the 1960s. The Balanced Trade Restoration Act of 2006 was proposed by Senators Byron Dorgan (ND) and Russell Feingold (WI), ironically both Democrats, but it died in committee (largely due to Wall Street lobbying).

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
what Trump said this morning.....NAFFTA....Fair and Free Trade....to renogiate...he has never promised to bring every job back...just bringing back whatever he can get and they are willing to give him. Trade agreements should be revisited at certain intervals and adjusted to the business climate

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
he has never promised to bring every job back
Nope. Just more than one. He's said he's going to bring "jobs" back, but he hasn't put a number on it. He'll redo some of the trade deals, and a lot of the taxes and regulations that inhibit jobs in the US.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Fun fact: The US has more miles of navigable inland waterways than the rest of the world... combined.

The geography of our relative isolation with regards to the rest of the world, combined with those inland waterways keeping us connected to the rest of the world through maritime trade, is what puts the US in the position of being the world's largest power in trade. It's the biggest bargaining chip we have, and the rest of the world knows it.

Canada is also a part of that, and will become even more a part of it when the superport at Port Sydney on Cape Breton opens. It will be the first North American port that can handle the new ultra-large generation of container ships. All of that gets offloaded onto ships sailing the St Lawrence and the Great Lakes, and down into the country. The freight flows both ways, of course.

Reactions: brokcanadian

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Fun fact: The US has more miles of navigable inland waterways than the rest of the world... combined.

The geography of our relative isolation with regards to the rest of the world, combined with those inland waterways keeping us connected to the rest of the world through maritime trade, is what puts the US in the position of being the world's largest power in trade. It's the biggest bargaining chip we have, and the rest of the world knows it.

Canada is also a part of that, and will become even more a part of it when the superport at Port Sydney on Cape Breton opens. It will be the first North American port that can handle the new ultra-large generation of container ships. All of that gets offloaded onto ships sailing the St Lawrence and the Great Lakes, and down into the country. The freight flows both ways, of course.
Talked to a man at the nyc port and he said our biggest export was empty contaners same with some one at long beach

JCH

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly. Plus, a significant percentage of "their" goods are manufactured by US companies. We get a lot of off-season fruits and vegetables, from Mexico (Mexico dominates our fruit and vegetable imports by a wide margin - 69% of vegetable imports and 37% of fruit imports), but we can also get all of that from Argentina, Chile, Peru and Brazil (and Canada), or simply grow most of it here in the Rio Grande Valley and in the San Joaquin Valley in California (assuming California will trade with the US). It's mostly avocados and tomatoes. California alone could easily absorb the extra demand for avocados, since they have more than 1/3 of their Valley farm acreage vacant for experimentation and for ramping up production if needed. And the tomatoes can be grown in Texas and Arizona, or in a hothouse (I abhor hothouse tomatoes, though).

A couple or three days ago CNN's Money had a really snarky article called Here's What Else We Import from Mexico, Mr Trump. Top of the list was $21.5 billion worth of motor vehicles, 8% of our imports from Mexico. Next was the $51.6 billion in auto parts e import, 19% of Mexican imports. But they didn't stop there. Mexico is our third largest supplier of goods overall, so there. We also import computer monitors, insulated wire and electric generators. And, and, and, major appliances like refrigerators, air conditioners and centrifuges.

The thing is, every one of those things on that list are imported from Mexico solely because American companies moved their manufacturing to Mexico. Mexico on their own doesn't make any of that stuff. Zero.

As a footnote, the state that 40% of the parts in a typical Mexican product originated in the US. They don't really mention that if manufacturing and assembly were moved back here, those 40% would never be exported to Mexico in the first place, except as finished products to be sold.

In the long run, the only thing a trade war or a stiff tariff would really hurt the US on is with Corona. Modelo Especial. and Dos Equis beer, and Cholula hot sauce. <snort>

That says it all folks!!!!!
Mexico is pissing up the wrong leg .... as usual!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly. Plus, a significant percentage of "their" goods are manufactured by US companies. We get a lot of off-season fruits and vegetables, from Mexico (Mexico dominates our fruit and vegetable imports by a wide margin - 69% of vegetable imports and 37% of fruit imports), but we can also get all of that from Argentina, Chile, Peru and Brazil (and Canada), or simply grow most of it here in the Rio Grande Valley and in the San Joaquin Valley in California (assuming California will trade with the US). It's mostly avocados and tomatoes. California alone could easily absorb the extra demand for avocados, since they have more than 1/3 of their Valley farm acreage vacant for experimentation and for ramping up production if needed. And the tomatoes can be grown in Texas and Arizona, or in a hothouse (I abhor hothouse tomatoes, though).

A couple or three days ago CNN's Money had a really snarky article called Here's What Else We Import from Mexico, Mr Trump. Top of the list was $21.5 billion worth of motor vehicles, 8% of our imports from Mexico. Next was the $51.6 billion in auto parts e import, 19% of Mexican imports. But they didn't stop there. Mexico is our third largest supplier of goods overall, so there. We also import computer monitors, insulated wire and electric generators. And, and, and, major appliances like refrigerators, air conditioners and centrifuges.

The thing is, every one of those things on that list are imported from Mexico solely because American companies moved their manufacturing to Mexico. Mexico on their own doesn't make any of that stuff. Zero.

As a footnote, the state that 40% of the parts in a typical Mexican product originated in the US. They don't really mention that if manufacturing and assembly were moved back here, those 40% would never be exported to Mexico in the first place, except as finished products to be sold.

In the long run, the only thing a trade war or a stiff tariff would really hurt the US on is with Corona. Modelo Especial. and Dos Equis beer, and Cholula hot sauce. <snort>

That says it all folks!!!!!
Mexico is pissing up the wrong leg .... as usual!!!!

I am just wondering where they are going to find the people to make/produce all these goods if we went this route...since we are about to deport all the illegal farm workers to harvest said goods....the solution is not that black and white...Trump maybe pissin up the wrong wall as well...to some degree...currently Mexican workers are American work mules..all for US profits for big corporations

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
About half the farm workers in question are legal, the other half illegal. Having the illegal farm workers go through the process to make them legal isn't that difficult.

Reactions: davekc

JCH

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mexicans have been used to drive down labor (and freight rates) Which keep price down at the stores we will as a country need to be willing to pay more or except lower pay while producing the same quality and amount

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
About half the farm workers in question are legal, the other half illegal. Having the illegal farm workers go through the process to make them legal isn't that difficult.
But they don't seem to be doing that... they have for years known this moment would come... they could have taken this time to acquire any documents required to apply... the good times are about to end

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
But they don't seem to be doing that... they have for years known this moment would come... they could have taken this time to acquire any documents required to apply... the good times are about to end
how may of our last 7 presidents have offered them citienship i think they want to stay mexicans not pay SS or taxes

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
how may of our last 7 presidents have offered them citizenship i think they want to stay mexicans not pay SS or taxes
citizenship or legal resident status.....I thought thats all they offered which is" a path to citizenship".....one must be legal resident first and foremost as in my case LPR....but not a citizen $675 for the right to vote, thats all it gets me...

BTW..they'll always be Mexicans even if they are citizens here....
I will always be Canadian no matter...

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
how may of our last 7 presidents have offered them citienship
I can't recall any of the previous 7 presidents offering citizenship to anybody, per se. Only Congress can do that, according to the Constitution (Article I, section 8, clause 4).

i think they want to stay mexicans not pay SS or taxes
That, as well as one of the biggest benefits of being within the US borders is that whether you're a legal or illegal immigrant, you are subject to the same constitutional protections as any US citizen. That includes due process, which has resulted in "catch and release" where people come in, say they want asylum or something, are given a court date (anywhere from 6 months to 3 years in the future), and are released into the US on the promise they'll show up for the hearing, which very few ever do.

Another one of the constitutional protections is the right to protest. In Mexico, if you are not a Mexican citizen, it is illegal to protest in public.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I used to work for Riddell and they built a nice big plant in Monterrey Mexico to process the football helmet and shoulder pad reconditioning, I hope they are freaking out now with the possibility of having to pay a tax when it goes into Mexico and comes back into the us. Hopefully they do what they should have done in the first place and upgrade the plant in San Antonio instead of downsizing it.

Corporate greed...

Reactions: davekc and Turtle

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One thing for sure. " change is a coming". Keep that rioting entertaining. :D