Why does panther put you on a pro before you even accept?!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Please try to recognize rhetorical questions for what they are.
Please accept my apologies, I will be more careful in the future. The water cooler question I took to be rhetorical, the others seemed to me to be more direct questions, requiring an answer. Maybe in the future you could end your questions with a question mark, followed by either an (R) indicating that the preceding question was rhetorical and an answer wasn't expected or a (D) indicating a direct question requiring an answer.

You have manage to dodge the two questions I have asked of you. You must have thought them to be of a rhetorical nature. I'll ask a third time. Please note the (D) following the question marks after each question, denoting a direct question requiring an answer.

What carrier are you leased to? (D)

What is you usual rate per mile? (D)

If you don't care to divulge this information please respond with a comment like: "None of your business." I'm pretty sure I understand your reasons for dodging my questions and your reluctancy to give a straight answer, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Please accept my apologies, I will be more careful in the future.

As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Moot, no apologies from you are needed or expected. I find most of what is written on EO entertaining and, once in a great while, enlightening. I wouldn't want anything I write to be construed in any other manner!

Maybe I'm the one that should be apologizing - for not making myself more clearly understood. I learned long ago that, in order to make myself understood, I must first understand. I clearly didn't understand your need for precision and meticulousness. Instead of just letting my crude ideas flow, I will make every attempt to improve spelling, punctuation and capitalization, wherever necessary.

I'm humbled by your willingness to grant me the benefit of the doubt. I COULD consider such a jesture very condescending, but in the spirit of EO and for fear of acquring another demerit here, I won't. And I'll ALWAYS defer to a Senior Member!

There was never any intention to "dodge" any questions. If you had had enough interest in any of my previous posts, you would probably have noticed I stated I've been leased to Fedex Custom Critical for several years and had previous experience with Panther, Tri-State and Express-1, in that order. Fedex is, far and away, the best carrier I have been associated with. I hope that answers one of your questions.

I don't have an answer for the other, since I don't run on a "rate". Each load is offered as a separate opportunity and we, as drivers and/or owners, have the choice of accepting, rejecting, or even, occasionally, negotiating the offer based on the circumstances. I wish I could offer more information, but there simply isn't a rate, per se, I can hang my hat on. I suppose this might be considered the opposite end of the spectum from those that accept (or maybe are forced to accept loads) without first knowing the revenue. Each to his own, I guess.

By the way, if I remember correctly, I wasn't the first to use the term "cherry-picker" in this thread. I simply thought it was hilarous to view load offer acceptance or refusal incorporating that term as a frame of reference.

Sorry I can't elaborate more right now, but I need to dig out a sweater vest. It's a little cool here in the Low Country of South Carolina today and I plan on meeting two ladies for lunch on Hilton Head Island later. I hope you're comfortable whereever you are.

Now that I hopefully seem more transparent to you, please tell me what carrier you are associated with and what your rate is. Hmmm? (D).

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Smart phones are invaluable, im always checking my board position ect. And its not difficult to get off the pro, most of the time,they call as soon as they send it anyway. And if they dont call,then you kinda know thier fishing, almost expecting you not to accept,but crossing thier fingers anyway.And when you call them back, they can usually give you some type of bonus to make it worthwhile.

Big fingers = dumb phone.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Maybe it should be Take it all,It"ll average out.

Until it doesn't "average out". That line of thinking is counting on someone else to be fair to you... or counting on fate. Neither one is realistic in a business world. They say you have to look out for #1 for a reason. Having someone else looking out for you, and you just taking a snooze, is asking for disaster to happen.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Wolverine said:
I don't have an answer for the other, since I don't run on a "rate". Each load is offered as a separate opportunity and we, as drivers and/or owners, have the choice of accepting, rejecting, or even, occasionally, negotiating the offer based on the circumstances. I wish I could offer more information, but there simply isn't a rate, per se, I can hang my hat on. I suppose this might be considered the opposite end of the spectum from those that accept (or maybe are forced to accept loads) without first knowing the revenue. Each to his own, I guess.
Maybe I can help.

Wolverine said:
Besides, I'd hate to leave the intimate atmosphere at FedexCC...despite only making $2.99 per mile (ALL miles, that is)! Even though I've never met Virginia, I really, really think of her as family!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Until it doesn't "average out". That line of thinking is counting on someone else to be fair to you... or counting on fate. Neither one is realistic in a business world. They say you have to look out for #1 for a reason. Having someone else looking out for you, and you just taking a snooze, is asking for disaster to happen.

BUT stores have loss leader sales all the time...gambling you'll buy another item to "average out" and yet another item to make a profit....ask Walmart...works for them just saying

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Maybe I can help.

Thanks for the assistance, jimmyjam.

Fortunately, that wasn't a "rate". That was merely the average revenue per mile for the period of time in question for surface freight only.

Thank goodness the average for reefer and other White Glove loads was considerably higher.

And, in all seriousness, I don't feel as though I belong to a 'family' at Fedex. That was meant as sort of a joke. I already had a family and didn't see any need for another. My relationship with Fedex is very businesslike only - and a good business at that!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
BUT stores have loss leader sales all the time...gambling you'll buy another item to "average out" and yet another item to make a profit....ask Walmart...works for them just saying

Unless you have your own authority, you have one customer. You have no say in how that customer deals with its customers. You only control how you deal with YOUR customer.

Didn't you leave your last carrier because things didn't "even out"?

Also, what about the 300 mile run that drops Friday at 3:30 pm? Do you trust your customer enough to get you something else before the weekend? Should everyone trust their customers to do so?

Last edited:

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Unless you have your own authority, you have one customer. You have no say in how that customer deals with its customers. You only control how you deal with YOUR customer.
And because your ONE customer sets all the rules, one being that you can have no other customers but them, your control is very limited.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
And because your ONE customer sets all the rules, one being that you can have no other customers but them, your control is very limited.

If you don't like how your customer is giving away the farm to their customers, you can always find a new customer. ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It never ceases to amaze me the number of "professionals" in this industry who don't even know what "forced dispatch" means. If you've ever driven in a forced-dispatch system and in a non-forced dispatch system you will definitely know the difference. Non-forced dispatch does NOT mean there are zero consequences for your actions in refusing a load. If you can refuse it at all, then it's not forced.

Forced dispatch involves zero decision making on the part of the driver. Forced dispatch means that the driver must take the load given to him and may not refuse it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It never ceases to amaze me the number of "professionals" in this industry who don't even know what "forced dispatch" means. If you've ever driven in a forced-dispatch system and in a non-forced dispatch system you will definitely know the difference. Non-forced dispatch does NOT mean there are zero consequences for your actions in refusing a load. If you can refuse it at all, then it's not forced.

Forced dispatch involves zero decision making on the part of the driver. Forced dispatch means that the driver must take the load given to him and may not refuse it.

If a slave is allowed to go into town for some tea, is he still a slave?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then you answered your own question. That slave would always be looking over his shoulder because he was not free to keep walking. Your comparison is kind of ridiculous.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Then you answered your own question. That slave would always be looking over his shoulder because he was not free to keep walking. Your comparison is kind of ridiculous.

Maybe in your mind. But wouldn't someone who turns down freight be looking over his shoulder, wondering how dispatch is going to screw him for turning down that run?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To compare that to slaverly is not even in the realm of sensible.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Turtle has it right. True "forced" dispatch is when you refuse to haul something and you are fired. With expediting, it is based on the frequency over a period of time rather than a single event. One is not the same as the other.