Why do you not use TA/Petro as your primary truck stop?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am sure they will read this forum.... I have found that I get better results when I have a conversation with a person and can hear their point of view and they can hear mine.

It is much easier to discuss solutions on a call then in a forum for me.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Set up the gas gas pumps to take Comdata and rewards card like Pilot, so i dont have to waste my time being harrassed by their cashiers.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I think it mainly has to do with each locations G/Manager. I understand being kicked off the lot if I have the only slot left for a paying customer who's here now and gone 30 minutes later but as a rule the management doesn't get it. I also understand the manager doesn't want the front lot turning into a pig-sty like the rear lot, just the smell alone will run a tourist off. But then again it doesn't cost that much for a tanker to come in and spray the lot off. The last time I drove one of my trucks and got fuel I gave them my card for coffee and the cup was the size of a thimble. I fill my mug up and all of a sudden the coffee is a dollar three ninety eight. (just a joke). All the trucks stop now think they are gourmet cooks and have to charge $15 dollars for a big special meal. I know times have changed but come on. The reason the J turned most of their restaurants over to Denny's is because they couldn't run them at a profit, I guess not for what they charge, no one will eat there. The front desk at most of the stops are understaffed and have additudes. If I caught one of my employees talking to customers the way they do in a truck stop, they would w/out a job like right now. You never know who your waiting on. What if they were rude to John E and he stopped his company from doing business with them. A low paid employee just cost them several million in business every year. So I can go on and on but basically truck stops on a hole stink. They have college kids running them with profit only in mind not the welfare of the customer the way things used to be done. Any way I have had my rant for the day.:cool:

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We almost always head for a T/A or Petro as our first choice. But there are some that we avoid. The T/A in Greenland, NH is one of them. Reason: horrible food. Unfortunately we are delivering 5 miles from there and don't want to DH to Willington, CT.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the Petro's are nicer/cleaner than the TA's (at least the ones I've been to)... I agree with WV Courier for us gasers, it would be nice to swipe are rewards cards at the pump instead having to go in and get that strange look like why are you out front, this is for gas???

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
We almost always head for a T/A or Petro as our first choice. But there are some that we avoid. The T/A in Greenland, NH is one of them. Reason: horrible food. Unfortunately we are delivering 5 miles from there and don't want to DH to Willington, CT.

Then go to Bow, NH. Much better food, and quieter.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The TA Driver rewards program is very unrewarding, IMO. The last time I used it, one had to redeem points at a kiosk, [Pilot uses instant point of sale redemption], and only in increments of $5.00 [may have changed, but still unfriendly], and any portion unused was simply forfeited [unreasonable].
BTW: I did send an email expressing my views to TravelCenters of America, long ago, but it's simpler for me to stick with Pilot/J and so I do.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Hello Tom Liutkus
Am MOOSE, an O/O from Minnesota.
please send me info regarding the conference call.
my carrier gives me some good fuel discounts, which is the rezone i shop @ TA.

my only concern is the fuel receipts.
the ones provided @ the fuel islands are too small, and sometimes dont print well.
but when i get inside, for the life of me, i can't understands why do i need to stand in line just to get a printed fuel receipt ?
this is very annoying, & time consuming.

also i get some really bad fuel in places the force me to buy BIO DIESEL .
we do not need bio diesel, it cost me thousands of dollars a year.
there are TA's that i avoid all together, just because past experience show me they sell a high mix.
in those cases i go to other chains, that seams to be selling a less then 5% mix.

thanks, Moose, 651-***-****

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When we started in the business in 2003, we quickly learned to avoid TA's and go to other truck stops. Old, dirty places they seemed to us. Over the years they were purchased by the present owner and merged with Petro. In that time, these truck stops have gotten better and better. TA/Petro is now our first and almost exclusive choice when fuel and other truck stop services are needed. Their great showers are especially appreciated. It is also nice to see the fuel islands being upgraded. While these are great, the fuel discount we get through our carrier and TA/Petro is the clincher. Without that, we would use other truck stops. With it, we don't even think about other truck stops unless we are someplace where TA/Petro is not.

Thank you, TA, for the improvements you have made over the years. We appreciate the positive difference this makes in our life on the road.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I agree fully. For pretty much the same reasons. I think security seems better and most Petro's don't seem to have as many people loitering around as in years past.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
also i get some really bad fuel in places the force me to buy BIO DIESEL .
we do not need bio diesel, it cost me thousands of dollars a year.
there are TA's that i avoid all together, just because past experience show me they sell a high mix.
in those cases i go to other chains, that seams to be selling a less then 5% mix.

I did not think of this until Moose mentioned it but Diane and I also avoid biodiesel whenever we can. Truck stops (and states) that are bio-free or low-bio are preferred.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I use the BIODIESEL association web page.
they proudly tell me where they sell bio diesel - i avoid those places !!!
thanks for the service.

Cacique

Active Expediter
I'm new in the expedited business and i use gas and i had choose flying J pilot even with all bad at their locations "some not all" they respectme as a professional driver fueling in the front as any other driver in the back. So why give my money to somebody who don't think of me as a driver????

GO DAWGS!!!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only reason I avoid T/A and Petro is because I can't swipe my Expediter Ultra One card at the pumps. If you take your receipt inside when your done putting GAS in your CV they will tell you that they will load your points manually. So, wait in line, **** off everyone else behind you because they really aren't sure how to load the points, then end up without the points anyway! It's just easier to us J and Pilot, swipe your card at the pump, use your card for inside purchases and get entered in monthly drawings to win things. I use the card for free showers and every couple of weeks I have enough points for a pair of dogs. I did talk with their people at the expo, they said their pumps aren't set up to swipe at the pump. Bull, every fuel chain in the country has some kind of rewards card at the pump. The only thing I ever do at Petro is use their breakfast buffet, then fuel and sleep at the J. If they want to contact me, feel free, I'm always willing to help someone succeed.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Looks like a lot more are voicing opinions and likes/dislikes here, rather than join the conference call. It's a lot harder for expediters to predict where they will be at a given future point in time in order to join in on something like a conf call.

As for myself, I now often prefer to use TA/Petro for overnights when available and if more recently redone.

I have to admit, though, I rarely fuel up there, as a lot of them only have diesel out back, and the hassle with the Ultra One cards out front, and the kiosk deal, and many of the other things already mentioned in regards to the cards, keeps me from purchasing fuel there.

The Ultra One cards for expediters look nice, but that seems to be about all they have going for them.

Cacique

Active Expediter
I use the BIODIESEL association web page. <br />
they proudly tell me where they sell bio diesel - i avoid those places !!!<br />
thanks for the service.

100 % with you.

GO DAWGS!!!