who's moderating the forum?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For the record, I have no problem with the thread being locked (and I know who moved it, I just thought it was downright funny how fast this one got moved). I thought the "Terry bashing", which is a kind term, was way over the line, as things were started to be said that clearly weren't true. It started to feel scummy and icky.

Terry's job as Safety Liaison is to help ensure that contractors comply with Safety rules and regulations, and company policy. It is far better for the carrier to use someone like Terry to catch that stuff in-house than it is to wait and let the DOT catch it. When the DOT catches it, Safety ratings go down, insurance rates go up, and customers are lost because of low ratings. This sort of thing is not going to be popular with those who know the rules and break them anyway, thinking they can get away with it.

Many people believe the Safety Department at their carrier is all about the safety and well-being of the driver. At best, that's a side effect. Safety with a capital "S" is all about iron-fisted compliance with DOT regulations and carrier policies, and to minimize the carrier's liability in as many situations as possible. This is true of all carriers, not just FedEx. FedEx just happens to be a little more iron-fisted and anal about their policies and their corporate image than most. But all of them are pretty much the same.

Terry used to be driver and friend, now he's The Man, the enemy, a suit. Well, no he's not. He's still a great guy, and there is a reason he was such a good driver, it's because he knew the rules and played by the rules. If you know the rules but want to play by your own rules anyway, you're gonna get busted, if not by Terry then by someone else. The thread was started over something pretty straightforward, if you are in a WG truck then you know darn good and well you're not to have any pets in there, and if you have a pet anyway, be prepared to be busted for it. You can't really get mad at Terry because you're the one breaking the rules.

It reminds me of the time a pickup truck in front of me, in heavy Interstate traffic coming up north out of Nashville, kept hitting his brakes. I in turn would hit mine to keep from plowing into him. A big truck behind me ripped me a new on on the CB because I kept hitting my brakes. My reply to him was, "So let me get this straight. You're mad at me because you're following too close?"

The whole dog whistle thing just cracked me up. He's using a dog whistle app, and somehow that became the same as rifling through sleepers. Man, that's funny.

Now, as to the whole "big bad Fedex conspiracy" and who's moderating the forum...

How many moderators do we have, and how may are with which carriers?

I'm pretty sure I can count the ones who aren't with FedEx on one hand, but I'm not sure if I have enough fingers and toes to count the one who are. :D

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I would rather have Terry inspect my truck and find something I missed than a DOT officer. No OOS, no fines and no CSA points. A free inspection by another set of eyes that will help keep me out of trouble sounds good to me.

As fas as the number of FedEx drivers that are mods. Maybe there are more of them because there are more FedEx people who are members of EO. Has anyone done a count of the members from each company?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There was really no reason to start the thread in the first place as every Fedex operator knows the no dogs in White Glove rule. There was certainly no reason to put it in the general section where it could get lots of input from folks with no past or present connection to Fedex other than opening it to more negativity. There was absolutely no reason to lie about sleeper inspections and rifling through cabinets which never has happened unless the point of it all was to create negativity toward Terry and/or Fedex.

We all know the rules and agree to the rules when we sign on with any particular carrier. Terry does his job fairly and impartially and he does it well. I believe it's to everyone's benefit having such a knowledgeable former contractor doing the job. If anyone knows how to comply with the rules while also achieving one's goals and desires it is Terry. He's never failed to offer advice and suggestions when asked at least that I'm aware of.

The mix of moderators and companies changes with the times. Some are fairly permanent fixtures and others such as myself will make a move if it seems the right thing to do. That thread got more leeway than it warranted and that has nothing to do with it involving Fedex and everything to do with it's placement and it's agenda.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would rather have Terry inspect my truck and find something I missed than a DOT officer. No OOS, no fines and no CSA points. A free inspection by another set of eyes that will help keep me out of trouble sounds good to me.

Actually this is the attitude we all should have. avoiding the problems with the DOT should be a goal but some would rather have a pass on their inspections and things not fixed.

For many of those drivers who have no clue, this is a sore point with many of us owners. It seems people want to get by on inspections and even pre-trips to the point that they don't care either way. When they depend on one inspection and their inability not to be able to properly inspect their own truck and find problems, then they are prone to getting dinged with a violation.

I think that some companies should start looking at FedEx and I think it was tri-state who also had a roving inspector as a means to get violations down.

Turtle;Maybe compliance...like rifling thru ones sleeper like he is known to do? personal drawers looking for illegal contraband he claims?385308 said:
Terry's job as Safety Liaison is to help ensure that contractors comply with Safety rules and regulations, and company policy. It is far better for the carrier to use someone like Terry to catch that stuff in-house than it is to wait and let the DOT catch it. When the DOT catches it, Safety ratings go down, insurance rates go up, and customers are lost because of low ratings. This sort of thing is not going to be popular with those who know the rules and break them anyway, thinking they can get away with it.

Yep a good thing to have, get rid of them who think that rules need to be broken or don't apply to them - which by the way I think Phil never thought this way - ever.

Terry used to be driver and friend, now he's The Man, the enemy, a suit. Well, no he's not. He's still a great guy, and there is a reason he was such a good driver, it's because he knew the rules and played by the rules. If you know the rules but want to play by your own rules anyway, you're gonna get busted, if not by Terry then by someone else. The thread was started over something pretty straightforward, if you are in a WG truck then you know darn good and well you're not to have any pets in there, and if you have a pet anyway, be prepared to be busted for it. You can't really get mad at Terry because you're the one breaking the rules.

AND he knows a lot of the tricks too...

BUT the thread was started in my opinion for the same reason why some of the EOBR threads were started and a few others, the OP is upset with something and wants to find some sort of justification for his upsetness. If you read carefully you can see what he is doing ...

Perhaps there is no privacy issue in this particular case, but there is the distrust, proactive spy aspect and presumption of guilt that Diane and I find to be very unsettling.

While we have nothing to fear from a truck inspection, inside or out, and while our near-zero CSA points make us a desired team in the industry, our O'Connell encounter was not an uplifting event but a demoralizing one.

After O'Connell left, we spent the rest of the day thinking about the kind of company FedEx Custom Critical has become and wondered anew about our future and the future of the company to which we have given our very best for seven years.

Somewhere along the way was a comment (later edited out) that Terry knew everything about the OP's run, income and so on which is part of Terry job - accessibility. If the OP wanted to make an issue about it, that's fine to do but he is an employee. I won't panic the OP by mentioning that Terry is the least of his problems, others know his business too who don't work there.

With that said, I don't see what Dale is getting at, first I don't see Terry bashing, no one is calling him out and saying it is wrong for him to do his job in the manner or level some of us bash others.

AND the OP is a big boy, he can decide where the thread should be placed for his own purpose, this one was not just to "warn" about the obvious but also to make a point - it isn't fair. It isn't like he joined a few months ago, is it?

There was really no reason to start the thread in the first place as every Fedex operator knows the no dogs in White Glove rule. There was certainly no reason to put it in the general section where it could get lots of input from folks with no past or present connection to Fedex other than opening it to more negativity.

Why Leo, you worried that FedEx can't take care of their image?

There was absolutely no reason to lie about sleeper inspections and rifling through cabinets which never has happened unless the point of it all was to create negativity toward Terry and/or Fedex.

Actually Leo here is the exact quote, Maybe OVM can clarify it?

Now what does a dog have to do with safety?

Maybe compliance...like rifling thru ones sleeper like he is known to do? personal drawers looking for illegal contraband he claims?

A little over the top...IMO
OVM, you saying Terry is a renegade?

The mix of moderators and companies changes with the times. Some are fairly permanent fixtures and others such as myself will make a move if it seems the right thing to do. That thread got more leeway than it warranted and that has nothing to do with it involving Fedex and everything to do with it's placement and it's agenda.

Leo, you serious?

Sorry dude but the thing is the thread was harmless in its true nature and unlike others, it wasn't something that was as critical as others have been which remain open to this day.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was 1st to hit 13,000 posts....can I put that on my sig line? *LOL*

I was actually in my CP profile the other day and thinking just that...I just couldn't bring myself to do it....*L*:rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There was really no reason to start the thread in the first place as every Fedex operator knows the no dogs in White Glove rule.
And the ones who are breaking the rules intentionally, who think they can get away with it, that thread didn't serve it's purpose as a warning to them? I think there was a very good reason for starting the thread. Two or three good reasons, actually. It also lets others at all carriers know that when you agree to something that you should live up to your side of the bargain, and if you don't there are consequences. It also served as an outlet to voice the very normal and natural disgust one feels when they've been spied on, even though that's not what Terry is doing. There are many other good reasons for starting a thread like that.

There was certainly no reason to put it in the general section where it could get lots of input from folks with no past or present connection to Fedex other than opening it to more negativity.
What a load of purple and teal Kool-Aid crap. Heaven forbid the mere common folk be allowed to give input on anything FedEx. The specific issue was pets and White Glove, but the principles of adhering to an agreed-to contract applies to all carriers and all drivers. It wasn't about White Glove and FedEx, those were merely the stage for the example.

There was absolutely no reason to lie about sleeper inspections and rifling through cabinets which never has happened unless the point of it all was to create negativity toward Terry and/or Fedex.
That much is true.

That thread got more leeway than it warranted and that has nothing to do with it involving Fedex and everything to do with it's placement and it's agenda.
Leeway? Geezus, Leo, welcome to the real world of a free exchange of thoughts and ideas, where you yourself have started a few well-placed thread with agenda written all over them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

That has NOT been proved out to be a lie or truth....just hearsay...why was it said? any fact to it? who knows...??

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't know how that part about rifling through sleepers got started either.

I think the opposite is true, he knows he has no authority to do that and I doubt that he would overstep that authority, hence the need for the dog whistle.

Either way, expect to see more roving inspectors from all companies in the future as they all seek to improve their image under CSA 2010

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think the opposite is true, he knows he has no authority to do that and I doubt that he would overstep that authority, hence the need for the dog whistle.
He doesn't even need the dog whistle. It's just a way of confirming what he already knows. It's not like he's walking around the truck lot with a dog whistle looking for dogs. There are dead giveaway tell-tale signs that a dog is in a truck. If you know what they are, and are observant, they are brain dead easy to spot, and you will never be unexpectedly surprised to find a dog in a truck. The dog whistle is merely an immediate, in-your-face, you're-busted, method of confirming it.

FECC-Jail.jpg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What I posted was 3rd party news...I was wrong to post that...

no further comment....

And you didn't want to hear that when I said it, eh?
Well, in hindsight, maybe I should have sent a PM, suggesting a revision, rather than a public confrontation - sorry, OVM.
I just dislike seeing anyone get accused unfairly, and I overreact, maybe. :eek:
But this is why I object to the carriers' forums being limited to current contractors: sometimes us outsiders have something relevant to say, and it isn't always a bad thing.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And you didn't want to hear that when I said it, eh?
Well, in hindsight, maybe I should have sent a PM, suggesting a revision, rather than a public confrontation - sorry, OVM.
I just dislike seeing anyone get accused unfairly, and I overreact, maybe. :eek:
But this is why I object to the carriers' forums being limited to current contractors: sometimes us outsiders have something relevant to say, and it isn't always a bad thing.

we are cool.... :)

Last edited: