who's moderating the forum?

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Did I just witness FedEx lock a thread about FedEx? I'm referring to this thread:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...3095-fair-warning-white-glove-dog-owners.html

I counted four people who figured out what is currently going on, but lockage is attributed to one disgruntled former employee. At least come up with a plausible excuse to lock a thread and find a neutral party to push a thread into the archives.

As for "no dogs in the fight", does this mean I can no longer contribute to tractor trailer discussions, because I now drive a van?
Time to change the Open Forum title to Forum.

eb

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
There's no way to be neutral since the thread was designed for one purpose, which it achieved, further a personal issue.

By the way, My involvement in this forum way predates my current involvement with Fedex.

My currently being with fedex has nothing to do with how I admin this forum, thank you.

And, Open Forum does not mean anything goes...it means open to general public members.
Dale

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Dreamer would be the one to confirm this but I don't believe FedEx had anything to do with locking the thread in question. FedEx has plenty of other ways to silence me if they chose to do so (all of which, except one, would have the reverse effect and only turn up the volume.)

Note that the thread did not get pulled like it might have if FedEx chose to step in and exert its power. It is no secret that anytime O'Connell is criticized, Dreamer, who adores the man, steps in to support and defend him. I attribute the locked theread to that and that alone.

Again, Dreamer would be the one to confirm this. It's no big deal to me. Numerous views were expressed, pro and con, including Dreamer's before he gave himself the last word and locked the thread. The views remain online for people to see and judge. I say let it be.

Your post is not the first to question the objectivity and fairness of the moderators and it won't be the last. I don't know of anyone who could serve as a moderator or forum administrator without getting nailed from time to time; not because of their behavior but because of the nature of the beast.

Keep in mind that these people are not trained ethicists or professional mediators. They are truck drivers who volunteer to help keep good order in an open forum to the best of their ability. When friendship and adoration overcomes objectivity and motivates someone to lock a thread, I'm willing to let it go. It does not happen often.

These people mean well and do their best. Notice that your post questioning them was not pulled the moment you put it up. Occasional errors are tolerable in my view. Pesistent errors or a militant bias would not be, but that is not what is going here.

My suggestion: Let it be.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Did I just witness FedEx lock a thread about FedEx?
Glad I'm not the only one that picked up on that one. But it happens all the time. Mess with the purple and teal and incur their wrath. You have to be deemed worthy to make a comment about them in the first place, which is why you need permission to post in the various carrier forums (because it would be too obvious to require permission only in the FedEx forum and not in the others :D ), and if any part of a thread might possibly construed as disparaging to anyone connected to the purple and teal, then the entire thread is thus so conscripted to the same and must be stopped.

I've seen far worse threads about Panther where "hearsay, innuendo, misinformation, or outright lies," were being said, and nary a thread was locked. But say it about FedEx? Newp. Off limits.

I also find it interesting (not really, just funny) just how quickly this got moved out of the mainstream and into the dusty attic of the Support Forum. :D

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I believe my record stands that I have defended MANY people, including Mr. Madsen, when threads were soley designed to flame on.

Get over the "big bad Fedex conspiracy". I dont have it. I am with them now because I believe they are the best at this time for my needs. If Lawrence did not feel I am keeping neutral, he knows he can ask me to step down.

Dale

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Did I just witness FedEx lock a thread about FedEx? I'm referring to this thread:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...3095-fair-warning-white-glove-dog-owners.html

I counted four people who figured out what is currently going on, but lockage is attributed to one disgruntled former employee. At least come up with a plausible excuse to lock a thread and find a neutral party to push a thread into the archives.

As for "no dogs in the fight", does this mean I can no longer contribute to tractor trailer discussions, because I now drive a van?

eb
Am I the former disgruntled employee(ahem contractor)? I stated what happened to me and why I left.....end of story:)

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I believe my record stands that I have defended MANY people, including Mr. Madsen....

That is 100% correct. More than once, you have defended my right to participate in the Open Forum or say what I want to say, and have done so in the face of intense criticism that you could have easily avoid had you taken a less courageous stance.

I remember those deeds, appreciate them, and believe that you would rise again in the future to do the same if circumstances warranted.

There is an exception, however, by the name of Terry O'Connell. I do not enjoy the same friendship and adoration that you have for him. Anytime opposing views might rise between me and him, or anytime I criticize his deeds, I know in advance whose side you will instinctively take.

That's OK. I'm not upset about it. While it is not an ideal condition, it is a fact of life on the Open Forum that I have come to accept and have learned to live with.

So what are we talking about here? I would say we are talking about Dreamer the human being. Like all human beings, he is capable of noble and courageous acts. And also like all human beings, he is given to occasional perception and judgment errors.

Personally, I have been feeling all day (physically feeling it in my gut) that I made some errors of my own. I regret that my perception of being spied on and my emotional response to it led me to say things I might not have said had I been in a more peaceful state.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Get over the "big bad Fedex conspiracy".
You're a real party pooper, you know that? Beating the drum of the "big bad Fedex conspiracy", and making fun of the Snotty and Snooty in general, are two of my favorite things. Don't take that away from me. I beg you. All I'll be left with is religion and politics, and you know what a boring desert those topics can be.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
It is the appearance that counts. Like fraternization in the military. It is not the act of fraternization that deteriorates moral, it is the appearance of fraternization. No need for a conspiracy, just the appearance of conspiracy. There are plenty of other moderators who don't work for FedEx who could pull the plug on a FedEx thread. So, who's moderating the forum?

Dreamer's words--"Open Forum means open to general public members." Dreamer's words--"Of course, perhaps it should have been FedEx forum only item, since it only affects them...but how could it be known that people from other companies, with no "dog in the fight", would jump in." General public members participating in an open forum should be no surprise. General public members do have an interest in company policies of public companies. So, is this an open forum or not?

No need to reply. I know the rules and how things work, but I felt it necessary to make my point.

eb

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I don't think Dale locked the thread because he works for FedEx Custom Critical. I think it was locked because Phil was getting flamed by a few. I seen nothing wrong with the post until it got personal. Also I think Dale was just trying to keep EO free of all the drama and a fight on here.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Disgruntled former employee?

Care to clue us in on who that is?

I'm guessing at it, and I may be right but ...

As much as I enjoyed the thread, my comments were not about bashing Phil but rather making fun of the "Oh My God, FedEx is watching us ... time to really panic" thing.

Phil, as much as he is a purveyor of great vast expediter knowledge, opens himself up to things by vocalizing the worries of what is happening to him and trying to figure out why even though a lot of others have the same issues. Like a few others, he may think the FedEx world revolves around CC and only CC and nothing else matters to them but ask FedEx (which I did) and you get a real interesting explanation if you don't find the corporate kissa** type. BUT by no means do I want him to shut up, he is actually do good for others by bringing up some of these subjects.

CC is one very itty bitty small part of a very large company, and Terry is one employee who is doing a job they have hundreds doing. The company monitors things on the Internet, in print and even on the radio/tv, like other companies (my former employer is one). They tag information to find out what is true, who is saying it and why which sometimes results in contractors getting dinged - that is very very true. This may seem far fetched because of the expense involved and the unfairness it sometimes generates but it is not by any means because of the culture is one of distrust, ambiguity and most of all little fiefdoms. FedEx, like other comparable companies is really large and they have a convoluted attitude which a lot of times doesn't make sense to us.

Either way, it does not really matter if they read it and said enough or Dale (who I support in locking the thread) said enough because when you come down to it, it really wasn't worth the time to be posted in the first place due to one simple thing - everyone knows what goes on there and what those rules are.

If I was going to actually complain about something, it would be moderators not moving threads in the right category, like truck mechanical issues in the General forum moved to the Truck forum or fuzzy bunny threads in the "The Sports Page" forum to the private and secret Fuzzy Cute Bunny forum.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I also find it interesting (not really, just funny) just how quickly this got moved out of the mainstream and into the dusty attic of the Support Forum. :D

Turtle, I moved it. I move 90% of the threads that are better served in other forums. Regardless of the "tone" of the thread.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Unread Today, 04:44 PM
Dreamer
This message has been deleted by Dreamer. Reason: duplicate
Unread Today, 04:46 PM

How could you deleted the first one ?
how on earth could you know that there will be a duplicated to follow ?

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter

eb

I was so entertained by the now locked thread. It beat anything that was on TV. I couldn't wait to get back home from my FAA Flight physical to join in the fun. I was very disappointed that it was locked. I don't understand why this was locked and the bash Panther because some O/O might not have paid some driver who didn't have enough brains to have a contract, keeps going on. FEAR the POWER of PURPLE!!!!
Since I don't yet have a truck, maybe I need to be locked out too!:confused:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have been a moderator here for quite some time. I am sometimes controversial as well. With that said, I think Dale does a fantastic job given what he has to deal with in the forums.
I don't think it needs to be cloaked in anything but that.
Additionally, I have always enjoyed Terry's long time friendship and if the occasion presented itself as it sometimes does, I would defend his character as I know it.
Just how it is.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I have been a moderator here for quite some time. I am sometimes controversial as well. With that said, I think Dale does a fantastic job given what he has to deal with in the forums.
I don't think it needs to be cloaked in anything but that.
Additionally, I have always enjoyed Terry's long time friendship and if the occasion presented itself as it sometimes does, I would defend his character as I know it.
Just how it is.
Couldn't have said it better..
Group hug??

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thanks Dave.:)

One thing I learned long ago.... if I make a decision...SOMEONE will be mad at me lol. So, I do what I believe to be best at the time.

The thread was not locked for being anti-Fedex, tho I fail to see why it's important to non-Fedex drivers..... it was locked for the inclement rise in personal "Terry bashing", as I TRY to do when I see any member being flamed.

I do have to point out a couple things. If Saftey has a reason to feel you are violating rules, they can instantly say...."bring it on in". Which is better, a several hundred mile deadhead interrupting your week, or a 15 minute spot check by a roving safety team member.

I wonder, if the position had been internally filled, instead of recruiting a lowly van driver.......would there be so much fuss?

Just sayin.......

Dale

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am not at the Fed of course, but on the dark side. I would say that it is of benefit to the drivers to have someone that understands their lifestyle and circumstances verses someone internally. My opinion would be the same regardless of who the carrier is.
All I can say Dale is, " Keep fighting the good fight".

Last edited: