Who kne this?

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been driving for years... I would think I should have noticed the little secret on my dashboard that was staring me in the face the whole time...I didn't...and I bet you didn't either...

Have you ever rented or borrowed a car and when arriving at the gas station wondered...mmm, which side is the gas filler cap?
My normal solution was to stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look, try to see in the side mirrors or even get out of the car!
Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my little secret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the gas station or put your neck at risk of discomfort or injury.

If you look at your gas gauge, you will see a small icon of a gas pump?
The hose and handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the gas pump?
If your tank is on the left, the hose and handle will be on the left? If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right. It is that simple!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I never noticed the nozzle being on different sides of the pump but have noticed an arrow pointing to which side the filler is on.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I never notice that. Where do they stick the nozzel if the filler is behind the trunk? Layoutshooter

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I`m beginning to wonder myself. I have a Windstar, and the theory of the icon hose is wrong. The icon has the hose and nozzle on the right, but the tank is on the left. Maybe it`s just an urban myth and the author is exploiting it as a gotcha joke.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sprinter, hose is on the right side of the pump icon, filler to the tank is on the left.
I don't think it's even an urban myth, I think it's just a coincidence.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wouldn't the word 'FUEL' in bold letters with a big arrow pointing to the side the filler is on mean anything?

Yesterday I had to get gas in my mother-in-law. I pulled into the pumps behind a new big jeep. There was a girl outside of the jeep, and another in the driver seat.

Well the great mind outside of the jeep had the nozzle in hand trying to figure out where the filler was, finally discovering that it could be on the other side. She didn't go to the other side to see, just assumed it. So she sticks her head in the window and tells the driver that the fuel 'hole' is on the other side. While we are sitting there, the driver tries to back up into us, almost making a new dent in the new bumper that was just put on the car. So the girl said "yous gots to go to the odder side" so the driver pulls forward, turns the jeep around and then pulls on the other side of the pumps with the filler again on the wrong side. The girl says "no no no the udder side, this side" as she went to the other side jumping up and down yelling "fuel hole... fuel hole". By the time I went inside to pay, the driver again moved but this time the girl still could not find the fuel filler. The girl behind the counter said "this goes on all the time, it's gets boring after 100 times seeing it".

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Yea, my gauge has a picture of a pump with the hose on the right side, but my fill hole is on the drivers side. There is however a small arrow pointing to the drivers side. I will check my car when I get home and see if it has a arrow pointing to the fill hole.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Most vehicles show the hose on the right with the little arrow pointing to the side the tank is on. This other explanation has been floating around the internet for at least a couple years.