Which on to choose??

SHARPSHOOTR

Active Expediter
OK I have been pre approved with Panther, FECC and Landstar. My issue is which one will keep me the busiest. I have read a few posts regarding the same subject but they are old. Does anyone have any news to shed?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Are you solo or team? O/O, or drive for a fleet owner? Cargo van, Sprinter, straight truck, or T/T?
Where do you live, and do you expect to get there pretty often?
All these factors make a difference.

SHARPSHOOTR

Active Expediter
I am solo, driving for owner. Not sure sprinter or can. FECC owner has can, and Landstar has sprinter. I live in san antonio and would like to get home every 2 weeks for a few days.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I am solo, driving for owner. Not sure sprinter or can. FECC owner has can, and Landstar has sprinter. I live in san antonio and would like to get home every 2 weeks for a few days.

If your good on the phone Landstar might be your best choice,but it's hard to go home that often and still make money.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Not trying to sound like a downer but if your going to drive for an owner, live in SA and want to be home for a few days every two weeks this might not be the job for you.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

SHARPSHOOTR

Active Expediter
I will worry about that later, don't need any downers right now. My question is which carrier is the best? Or which one has the most freight?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Of the ones you mentioned they probably all have freight. There is more to consider, the fed and panther are probably plug n play easier to start earning. They both limit solos miles on a load. LS probably pays more but takes longer because it requires building relationships with multiple brokers to really get in the flow.

You also need to consider what kind of deal the van owner is offering, the shape of equipment, how they are outfitted etc.

SHARPSHOOTR

Active Expediter
Of the ones you mentioned they probably all have freight. There is more to consider, the fed and panther are probably plug n play easier to start earning. They both limit solos miles on a load. LS probably pays more but takes longer because it requires building relationships with multiple brokers to really get in the flow.

You also need to consider what kind of deal the van owner is offering, the shape of equipment, how they are outfitted etc.

OK thanks, I gotta go today to take drug screen for fed ex, still waiting on one me employer verification from LS.

SHARPSHOOTR

Active Expediter
From what I have gathered past couple of weeks, there is freight in and out of STL. That is my home town where my family still resides. Seems like I would have opportunity to stop in and out for visits.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most likely you would. Ask your potential van owners for prior driver references, call and talk to them. Do not drive without a contract between you and the owner.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I want to be a doctor but I'll go to medical school after I open my practice.
I want to be a lawyer but I'll go to law school after I argue a bunch of cases.
I want to be a plumber but I'll study plumbing after I buy tons of tools and tear apart a ton of pipes.
I want to be a musician but I'll study and take lessons some other time after I make lots of noise.

You don't want to hear what I have to say but just in case someone else reading at some point is interested here it is. Anyone interested in this career needs to approach it professionally. That means getting an education just as one would do for any other career. Now, there isn't a university or technical school with textbooks and classrooms and semesters but there is EO. Anyone interested in this career should read back at least 3 years in each of the general, newbies and recruiter forums. That doesn't mean you have to read every single word but do read every single thread title and read all of every thread that seems at all educational and informative. That will give at least a basic foundation and enough knowledge and information to make informed decisions about this career. Now, if all one wants is a job with no guarantee of success or satisfaction there's always "Welcome to Walmart.".

zorry

Veteran Expediter
In a few weeks he'll be able to reread this. He'll have plenty of time then.
He'll say Now I know what they were saying.
Or not.

SHARPSHOOTR

Active Expediter
I want to be a doctor but I'll go to medical school after I open my practice.
I want to be a lawyer but I'll go to law school after I argue a bunch of cases.
I want to be a plumber but I'll study plumbing after I buy tons of tools and tear apart a ton of pipes.
I want to be a musician but I'll study and take lessons some other time after I make lots of noise.

You don't want to hear what I have to say but just in case someone else reading at some point is interested here it is. Anyone interested in this career needs to approach it professionally. That means getting an education just as one would do for any other career. Now, there isn't a university or technical school with textbooks and classrooms and semesters but there is EO. Anyone interested in this career should read back at least 3 years in each of the general, newbies and recruiter forums. That doesn't mean you have to read every single word but do read every single thread title and read all of every thread that seems at all educational and informative. That will give at least a basic foundation and enough knowledge and information to make informed decisions about this career. Now, if all one wants is a job with no guarantee of success or satisfaction there's always "Welcome to Walmart.".

Point taken. I have read numerous threads dated several years ago. In addition, I have a few friends in the expedited business who have educated me to some degree. I thought it would be a good idea to get some more up to date info by joining this forum and asking or myself.

PS. As for universities and books, I have an MBA from a top Texas private University. So I am far from stupid nor uneducated, and I am very professional. I appreciate your guidance and wisdom.