Which on to choose??

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I can only speak for 2 of 3 list which is the cat and fed. I was happy at both but just didn't like the bounce of business. One day it's there the next it isn't. I live 150 miles west of St. Louis and never had a problem getting through there.

As for land star I may be going in to their t/l division driving for an owner if this new gig doesn't work at ozark. So ill be able to see how their ops works then can give accurate info.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
None of the questions will have any value if your expectation is to be home every two weeks and you live in San Antonio. Hate to be harsh, but it really is the simple regardless of what carrier you are looking at. You are better off getting a hotshot gig or local courier job.
Let me repeat, if your expectation is to be home every two weeks, you will be disappointed.

SHARPSHOOTR

Active Expediter
I can only speak for 2 of 3 list which is the cat and fed. I was happy at both but just didn't like the bounce of business. One day it's there the next it isn't. I live 150 miles west of St. Louis and never had a problem getting through there.

As for land star I may be going in to their t/l division driving for an owner if this new gig doesn't work at ozark. So ill be able to see how their ops works then can give accurate info.

I just did my drug screen for fed today so i think soon as they get that back i should be good to go. Id rather go to LS cause i thing there is more money to be made.

SHARPSHOOTR

Active Expediter
None of the questions will have any value if your expectation is to be home every two weeks and you live in San Antonio. Hate to be harsh, but it really is the simple regardless of what carrier you are looking at. You are better off getting a hotshot gig or local courier job.
Let me repeat, if your expectation is to be home every two weeks, you will be disappointed.

I really don't expect to be home every other weekend. Just not really wanting to be gone 4 weeks at a time ALL the time.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I really don't expect to be home every other weekend. Just not really wanting to be gone 4 weeks at a time ALL the time.

I wouldn't expect to be home more than once every 2 months because the freight will determine your home time. There might be times where you are home twice a month and times where it is several weeks, unless you plan on losing a lot on fuel. When you are driving another person's vehicle you have to be sure they are alright with the home time you want before you get started and not worry about it later. I think Landstar has the best potential of the 3 but FedEx would be the best to learn the basics.

SHARPSHOOTR

Active Expediter
I am ok with that. By this summer I will most likely move back to STL.

SO hear is my issue now. Fleet owner from fed has van available now and wants me in it. He says that he has ability to get loads from other agents as well as FECC. He said I need to learn basics first with FECC first the progress to that if I see that i am sitting. LS owner says I will not sit and truck should gross 3000 per week, which is more than FECC owner is quoting. I told both that I want to clear 1000 per week and LS says yes and FECC says not now its too slow but will pick up.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Fish in the pond here. FedEx will teach you and landstar thinks you already know. If your fleet owner is a part of the load acceptance process you will like landstar better especially with your educational pedigree

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I am ok with that. By this summer I will most likely move back to STL.

SO hear is my issue now. Fleet owner from fed has van available now and wants me in it. He says that he has ability to get loads from other agents as well as FECC. He said I need to learn basics first with FECC first the progress to that if I see that i am sitting. LS owner says I will not sit and truck should gross 3000 per week, which is more than FECC owner is quoting. I told both that I want to clear 1000 per week and LS says yes and FECC says not now its too slow but will pick up.

I can pretty much guarantee that you are not going to clear $1k a week driving someone's van, you might average $500 throughout the year.

SHARPSHOOTR

Active Expediter
Fish in the pond here. FedEx will teach you and landstar thinks you already know. If your fleet owner is a part of the load acceptance process you will like landstar better especially with your educational pedigree

from what i can tell he is not, I would be on my own.

SHARPSHOOTR

Active Expediter

MissKat
I have been driving for a major carrier, and I have grasped that concept. When it comes to expedited I have much to learn and expect some difficulty adjusting due to the learning curve. I am basically playing the waiting game to get 100% cleared from both. Pre approval about a week ago for both. Did drug screen for FECC today, and LS has my file at some third party ding employment verification. They are waiting on just one more employer to send paprerwork so I am not sure what the time frame will be.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
$52k a year in a van when splitting with an owner? I suspect most van owners would like to have $52k a year after fuel expenses.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
MissKat
I have been driving for a major carrier, and I have grasped that concept. When it comes to expedited I have much to learn and expect some difficulty adjusting due to the learning curve. I am basically playing the waiting game to get 100% cleared from both. Pre approval about a week ago for both. Did drug screen for FECC today, and LS has my file at some third party ding employment verification. They are waiting on just one more employer to send paprerwork so I am not sure what the time frame will be.

We drove tt for several top carriers ltl and truckload, reefer and dry. I promise you expediting is NOTHING like regular operations. FedEx has dispatchers offering you jobs, Landstar you find your own jobs thru their agents. Expediting.has hot spots and dead zones. I liked expediting more especially with Panther in a tt reefer unit, more exclusive jobs. But we made tons more money with carriers like NCT/Western Freight and YRC for example, because they have freight.lanes everywhere and can get you home. We live on the Oregon Coast~ saw it four times one year with FedEx because expedite loads are slim. Take your guitar or your computer with you, there is standing time, even with LS

Swamp30

Active Expediter
There is no way you will make 1k a week driving a van for an owner for any company..every once in a while you may run enough to make that..400-600 is what you will average..even owing your own van it would be suspect to make 1k every week..

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did you ask for prior drivers contact info? I would want the most recent two or three. If someone was clearing 1k a week it might be hard for them to leave the job.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123