Where Were You On 9.11.2001 ?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was a piece of cake. Surprisingly few questions and such going either way. Of course, that changed big time for the next several days!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I was on Griffiss Air Force base working at a pallet recycler. The base was mostly shut down years before but they still have some sort of radar station in use. The station soon had limited access and armed guards protecting it, if you ever watch the Nicolas Cage movie World Trade Center it shows they were using it.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I too was listening to Howard Sterns coverage of the event,at the Target or some 24hr superstore on Mound rd in Sterling Heights M.I.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I was in college, just showed up to my first class of the day. Eventually they cancelled all classes and I went home, glued my eyes on the TV. I remember calling my family and a few friends and discussing what we thought the result of such actions would be. Didn't think that we would be so eager to give up our freedoms slowly but surely.

I visited WTC site a couple of times since then, never had a chance to see the towers before 9/11. I just hope that we don't experience anything like this ever again.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I was driving that day listening to the Howard Stern Show. Think what you want of him but he nailed it that day, it's a great listen to when rebroadcast. He also stayed on the air in a midtown highrise studio until around noon.

Yes he did...as usual a homerun....very underated..

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I were not expediters at the time. I was working in my home office. Diane called me on her way into work at the Minnesota State Capitol to tell me of the news. I spent the rest of the day glued to the TV watching the events unfold.

Her day at the governor's office (she was general counsel to Governor Jesse Ventura) was mostly business as usual. The feds were running the show. Other than state emergency response people being more active, and the governor issuing a statement, there was little to do in direct response to attacks that happened in other states.

Publicly, the governor was calm and measured in his statements throughout the day. Privately, he was angry and ready to twist the heads off whoever was responsible.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I was in Israel at the time, just came back from a brutal long shift at work, and after a 'white night'.
i was exhausted and in the shower when the beeper beeped, only 2 letters on the screen : TV, so i turned on the TV,(throwing a work boot on it normally did the work).
the horror on the news just made it to prime time, so i stayed up all night (again)and back to work in the morning. it took about till midnight to count for everyone we have & know at the big apple.
gods bless America !

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Living in Albuquerque, NM and getting ready to go hike the LaLuz trail on the Sandia Mountain. We were sitting outside drinking coffee, and our maintenance man for the apartment complex came by and told us a plane had hit the tower. I turned on the news just as the 2nd plane came in. We felt so far away from family living out there, and we were glued to the news for weeks. We did not go hiking that day, and never did make that hike to the top.

mnmn926

Active Expediter
I was working for American Airlines at DFW. I had worked a double shift the day before and had 2 weeks vacation scheduled beginning the 9/11. I had, after may years, finally talked my mom into a trip to Europe with my wife and I. We had spent a year planning and were to fly to Eurpoe on the Sept. 12th. My wife called to wake me up and said to turn on the TV. As soon as I heard American Airlines I was stunned knowing that there were customers as well as fellow employees who were on the flights flying as standby passengers. The day was like a blur but I do remember 2 things. The first I knew everything about my job would change and there were many changes. The second was standing outside watching planes land then nothing but silence. I lived about 10 miles north of DFW and in the flight path so it was very strange to not hear jet noise. I can also remember driving to the airport and seeing planes everywhere.

I'm no longer there after 23 years and now tinkering with expediting freight, as I worked in air cargo for 12+years it's still in my blood. I'm doing a little now just trying to decide whether or not to go all in.

M

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
was in field service at the time in Alexander City, Al eating breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express. Being in the central time zone, the first plane had already hit. I thought it was an accident remembering the B 25 that hit the Empire State Building shortly after WWII. When the second plane hit I realized it was no accident. Luckily I had driven there in a rental car and had no problem getting back to Savannah. However when I got back I could not turn the rental in for two days becausse the airport was shut down. National waxs nice about it and did not charge me for the extra days. Two of our service engineers were crossing the GW bridge and saw the smoke. One was from NJ, the other from TX. The one from TX hung on to the rental car and drove it home. Jerry Lee

Last edited:

twe2011

Seasoned Expediter
I was at a construction site helping the guys get their day together....when one of the foreman came in stating "the national guard called us to report". While calling the guys on the radio and turning the tv on, notice one building on fire....then minutes later the 2nd plane hit.

I almost fell down in my seat...in tears for our people....all those lives....fearing what is next.

How do I feel, still today that country that killed all those people...and all our boys to serve and die to these murdering deseased minded rats.

I have nothing to say nice and everytime I pass that temple going toward maumee ohio...really sickens me!

dpea9

Expert Expediter
I was in Alaska. In the N.E. corner of ANWR on the Sheenjek River Caribou and Moose hunting. Had a sat. phone and was told I couldnt fly my plane so I sat for 5 extra days.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I was in Fort Wayne(I know, suprising ha!!!)
I was a contractor for FedEx Home Delivery and was loading my van full of packages, listening to the radio. At first I thought it was a radio prank, then realized it was real. I have family in NYC and two of them worked near the World Trade Center. Luckily I was finally able to get a hold of them via cell phone(phones were overloaded at the time) and they were both okay. Both my Aunt and Uncle had to walk home across the bridge to Brooklyn
My Aunt still does not speak of it as her office was across the street from the WTC and I am sure she saw what we saw on the news...most of the stuff they don't show anymore.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Was with my father as we just dropped off in Toronto, Canada. we was heading east on the QEW towards Buffalo, NY. I had turned on the radio to listen to music as my father was trying to lay down because he didn't feel very good. I was shocked at what I heard on the radio and wanted to get back into the states before they closed down the borders. We waited in line for what seemed like forever to get back into the US. We crossed just in time as they closed the border down less than 1/2 hour later.

I woke my father up and told him the bad news and he had tears coming down his face. This was the first time I had ever seen my father cry. I asked my father why he was crying, He said son I'm crying for all those people that lost their life's today. He said someone lost a son, a daughter, a father, or a mother. I parked the truck at Jim's truck stop in Buffalo, Ny and sat in the truck watching the News as my father went in to the truck stop to eat breakfast. I couldn't eat and wanted to watch the news with everything that happened that morning.

I knew my father wasn't feeling well so I dead headed home to Akron, Ohio. Sadly that was the last time me and my father drove together. My dad got his own C-unit and we had got into a fight over the phone. I never spoke to my father again as he was leased on with TST Expedite Service's and he had got out of his truck and had a heart attack and died in the doorway of his home. It was 24 hours before my father had been found. My father was frozen and it took 3 days for the corner to thaw his body out. God was watching over him just as I'm sure he did the people that died on 911.

I will never forget that phone call as I was laid over in West Memphis waiting on a load. I was going against my golden rule, Never be on the road for the holiday. It was New Years Eve and I tried to call my father as I wanted to start the New Year out right. My father loved driving and after 30 plus years driving a tractor trailer he was an Expedite driver like his son and two other brothers that drove for Roberts Express before the name change. I look back now on 911 and I can remember I was with a great man, my father. As 911 comes each year I think of my father and how the world changed that year for a lot of people.

I know my father is in Heaven as most of the people that died that very bad day in Americana history.

Last edited:

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I was on vacation and camping in my travel trailer at Straits State Park at St. Ignace MI. I was taking down the campsite and hooking up but my daughter was watching tv. She called me inside to watch and I got there just in time to see the second plane hit the towers. It is difficult to describe my feelings at the time but I guess it would have to be shock. I just felt numb. I finally went outside and continued to pack up when she told me the first tower had fallen. I'm sure it was my all time record for slowest breakdown of a campsite and the second tower had fallen before I was ready to leave. Traffic was backed up for the Mackinac bridge and there were barriers and state police cars at each end. We made it back to the Grand Rapids area that day in fairly decent time, considering how many times we stopped where we could see the news on tv. I was struck by what a beautiful day it was. The sky was so blue. It was hard getting up and going into service in the old D-truck wednesday morning.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Just delivered nuclear plant,Lynchburg Va.Was at the little truck stop just south of town, trying to mail FedEx envelope with paperwork to fFedEx office,finding out all planes were shut down.The next day we were in a convoy takin medicine into NYC

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Sitting at home looking at an OSU football website. My oldest daughter and I had just been to the game in Columbus the previous Saturday.

My wife worked for the Educational Service Center (county board of education) at the time and she called and told me about the first plane. Ran in and turned the TV on about the time the second plane hit. Just felt sick at that point as it was pretty clear what had happened. Then to see them switch to the picture of the Pentagon. I remember thinking, how many more?

We only lived about a mile from the kid's school, so sometime afterwards, I drove up to see what they were going to do. (At the time the kids were in 4th and 6th grade. We knew the principal pretty well, so I was thinking about taking the kids home) The kids in 6th grade knew what had happened, but the rest of the school had not heard. They decided to keep the kids in school for the rest of the day, so I headed back home.

One of the teachers at school was at the point of panic, as her daughter worked in the south tower, and she had not been able to contact her. Turns out her daughter stayed home sick that day, and she was able to get in touch with her later in the day.

I got back to the house just in time to see the first tower fall. Sickening. Stayed up for the next 2 days practically glued to the tv.

I still to this day can't think about what happened without getting angry. And I do not get angry very easily, but now I'm sitting here and I can feel the anger. Just a low, gut feeling of wanting to reach out and "touch" someone - Cowards. (And there needs to be a word just for such "humans" as those.)

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
At W.P.B airport-waiting for my sons flight to come in from CT.
his plane got thru 15 minutes before the attack. We were'nt sure if the plane was comming in or being deverted. Orig. they wanted to bring the plane back to Bradley-they left it up to the pilot's decression-they brought it in to W>P.B. the passengers had no idea what was going on.

Then took a load into Staten Island. Unbelivable day