Where Were You On 9.11.2001 ?

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had delivered a Seimen's x-ray tube for the MRI at the University of Maryland Hospital in downtown Baltimore around 2 a.m. After the drop, I drove to Breezewood, Pa. and took a nap just before the Breezewood interchange.

I then got on the PA turnpike and headed west, wondering if I was going to make my next pu on time.

Nearing the Somerset rest area I saw probably 10-20 emergency vehicles (mostly volunteer firemen, I think) within 5-10 minutes heading eastbound. Finding this very unusual, I turned on the radio and discovered the heart breaking news about the towers in Manhattan, then the Pentagon.

It wasn't until later that I realized those emergency vehicles I saw on I-70 were on their way to Shanksville, Pa., not too far from where I had first seen them.

The totality of this vicious crime and the incredible heroics of out fellow citizens still overwhelms me.

We will never forget this day !

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I was not in the US at the time, but I remember exactly where I was.

It was lunchtime and I was in our little market town, 2 RAF jets flew really low and you could see the missiles.

I knew this was highly unusual so my friend and I headed back to work asap.
My boss called me in to his office and there, on his screen, I saw the full horror of 9/11.

All around the building work had stopped as ppl, in silence, were huddled around screens watching in disbelief, the BBC news.

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
going north on west va turnpike i rember because qc message said fuel up as offten as possable fuels a going up we are in war time

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wife was sitting at Fort Ehustes Med Center I was in the Field.

Went on alert and total lock down for 48 hours.

Well finaly this year the Butcher of the Fallen Twin Towers of NY got his and it was set up By the Navy Seals.

Attachments

• 539808514v36_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg
    539808514v36_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 25

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I was in Palm Bay, Florida installing windows in a new home.
We heard it on the radio and thought that air traffic control had gone nuts and was directing the flights into the World Trade Center.
Finished the job and rushed home to watch the news on TV.
A very sad day for the United States.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Conducting a real estate sales meeting and caravan in volusia county Florida.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I had just gotten home from working the night shift at Blackhawk Automotive Plastics. My grandpa was up visiting from Tennessee and left early because gas stations were trying to price gouge. Flight 93 went down in PA not too far from where I lived in OH. And I remember how clear and sunny that day was looking at the sky and not seeing any jet trails.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Insulating a steam system @ Georgia Pacific in Amsterdam NY.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At home, in Monroe, MI. I was getting ready for work.

Yes, MOST of those who responded in Somerset county were volunteers.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know the airports were on lockdown but what about the bridges into the US? Anyone get caught up in that?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
At work, in Brook Park, Oh. The news of the plane downed in Pa made me NEED to talk to my older daughter, who had moved to SW Pa just 10 days earlier. I had to go home to get her new phone number, but the boss understood - everyone was just dazed by the shock.
When I pulled in my driveway, the radio was playing a special bulletin from the Cleveland Mayor, about a 'suspicious' plane that the FBI was holding on the ground at Hopkins Airport, which had me worried about my younger daughter, who was in school just a mile from the airport. Because nobody knew who was attacking us, or how many more might occur, or what unimaginable craziness might happen next. When planes are flying into buildings and crashing deliberately, the world seems to have gone suddenly and inexplicably insane.
Even when I knew both my daughters were safe, it was still a day of tremendous loss, and I couldn't stop thinking of how ephemeral safety and security are, really.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Was babysitting my 1.5 yr old granddaughter, was watching the news, holding her. Could not believe what I was seeing. Wondered what the baby's life would be like.

Then worried big time, till I heard from my daughter. The circus she was working for had it's offices in Manhattan. Was a cpl hours before she called to say she was ok.

zack100

Active Expediter
I happened to be home that day, as my in-laws came to visit. We walked into the living room where the TV was on. We watched in silence and after the second plane hit I recall thinking ……. we are now at war with ?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was driving that day listening to the Howard Stern Show. Think what you want of him but he nailed it that day, it's a great listen to when rebroadcast. He also stayed on the air in a midtown highrise studio until around noon.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I was at home sick from school. I was sitting on the couch recording Total Request Live on MTV when it all started. I left the video to record all day as I flipped through tv channels. I called my mom who was at work becaus I was worried where my dad was on the road.

A lot of the stuff that I recorded they stopped showing on t.v.

Deville

Not a Member
I slept though the attacks. I was woken up by my house phone, it was my father who thought I was in the city that day. It was election day in NYC & I heard in his voice that somthing was wrong he said somthing about the elextion was cancelled. I got up, but he had alreadly hung up.

I called his office his assistant picked up & I asked what was wrong with him, I thought somthing had happened to my Mother who was ill at the time. She said to me he is very upset & the elcetion is cancelled. I asked her what happened, his phone call woke me up.

She paused & once she reliazed I had just woken up she told me what happened. I'll never forget the tone of her voice or the cadance she used; "Terriorst hi-jacked 4 planes & crashed them into the world trade center & the Pentagon, one plane crashed in PA the world trade venter collapsed."

Still half asleep I was confused by what she was saying, it did not register, I turned on the TV & NBC was on, Tom Brokaw was on the air & I saw the replay of the collapse. I made some type of audioble noise that I never heard myself make before or after. & fell into my couch.

All I could think of were all my friends that worked in the finacal center. The stories they would tell as the days went on about what they saw during there escape is mind numbing.

I don't re-call the rest of the conversation with my Fathers assistant after I saw what happened. He actually wasn't in the office. I cleaned myself up & left my apartment. I'm not even sure where I was going. I jumped in my car & the streets were very empty, I remember how nice of a day there wasn't a cloud in the sky. While waiting at a traffic light to turn green I looked up tough my winshield & I saw this huge ploom of black smoke i was sureal. I turned my cell phone on & saw that I had a bunch of voice mails from various people.

I finally caught up with my best friend Anthony a couple of hours latter he made it back to Staten Island on the ferry, he was covered in dust. I gave himam big hug & said man I thought I lost u. He looked at me & said I'm just glad my parents did not live to see this, 3 of there 4 kids in Manhattan as the world is falling apart around them. He had lost both his parents within a years of each other from 2000 to 2001.

His house became a meeting point for all of us. There must have been about 15 people there at one point. We were all Hungry & ordered acouple of pizzas, I remember the Pizzaeria being open in our neighborhood & myself & my friend Willie who joined us drove up there to pick them up. I don't think we said more than 3 words when we went to get the Pizza's

Later that night I hooked up with my Father & we continued watching the coverage, I hooked up with another one of my friends whom I saw the night before & we were just in shock.

When I finally made my way home that night I saw my neighbor that lived above me. At the time he was in the FDNY academy, he was freaking out they actually sent al the new recurits home because they had no idea what to do with them, He went back the next day. I did not see him much after that. The last time I saw him he told me he was thinking of droping out, it freaked him out that much.

This was an experiance that changed my life. I often wondered how I would have been had I lived though it in real time & not slept though it. 2 weeks earlier I had turned down a job in NYC that would have been at WTC 7. My Father was so annoyed I did not take the job.

sassy_1210

Seasoned Expediter
I was in high-school. The Superintendent thought it would be best if the teachers didn't tell us students. We all knew something was going on with teachers leaving the room for secret meetings in the hall, a bunch of parents came and took their kids out of school. It wasn't until band that the teacher told us and let us watch it on tv. He said we were not babies and should not be treated as such.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know the airports were on lockdown but what about the bridges into the US? Anyone get caught up in that?

I was at the Detroiter that morning. I had been sitting in my van reading the paper without the radio on. When I turned it on, the report was that "a plane" had hit the WTC, nothing urgent at that point. When it became clear what was going on, I went in and watched the coverage in the TV room.

I was with Thompson at the time and they called with a pick up in Windsor. I said O.K. and rolled. When I was on the bridge the phone rang. They're gonna close the bridge, load cancelled. At the time, their office was next to the McDs at the foot of the bridge in Windsor, so I just went there. I was willing to stay in Windsor and take the load, whenever it finally went, but with everything so crazy, who knew what would happen. What if the bridge closed for days? So, I thought it would be best to get back across.

It took me over 2 hours to get back across, but I don't think it ever actually closed. Just a major slow down. Went back to the Detroiter and about an hour and a half later...

Wait for it...

...went back to Windsor and picked up the load.