when does freight pickup?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Slow enough. Like Zane, this is my first January in Expedited, so I'm playing it by ear. Last year I was local, and like one other person pointed out office supplies, pharmaceuticals and liquor alway move. (What a job: Hauling drugs and liquor. All I needed was a couple of hot babes and I would have been all set.)

This year it's mostly automotive stuff, and that can get scary slow at times.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Seriously it isn't slow for the van owners I know.

Well Greg, what company then, and team or single? I can tell you for the single van owners I've talked to, with different companies, they're draggin.

Dale

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Didnt know you knew about van freight...:)

Seriously Zane, if you wade thru all the sarcasm..... January is usually slow, however this year is unusually slow. "Normally" Feb and March start slowly building back up.

Dale

Thanks brotha. It could hurry up a lil bit

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Hope van/sprinter freight picks up soon im starting back expediting this month sometime as soon as my drug tests get cleared which it should tomorrow.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I have my nightly gig that pays my bills. But I also need the shorts during the week to put some butter on my toast.

I asked to day, wheres the work? as it's been over a week since I got a short.

I have my very own dispatcher. Same person every time. It's nice, I never have to ask "how much does this pay?" he knows my minimum I'll run for and NEVER goes under it.

Anyways. He says there is TONS of freight offers coming in that he would not even bother to dispatch to a moped at the prices they are offering.

It's a matter of time, the good freight will come back.

I did get a short this afternoon. 500 feet according to the GPS. Picked up at a airline cargo dock, drove down to the sky food building (at the other end of the building!) and delivered. Yes.. they ran out of peanuts.

Yes. it was worth it!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Well i guess it gets down to money really..i mean, yea load count is down, but talking to our dispatch and the "people in the know" at Load 1, our freight is back to about 80% of what it was last quarter and getting better each day...

BUT, and its a big BUT, rates are up for us and the runs i have had since the 1st of the year have been really good...I just finished my best year in the business and i do look for this year to be even better.....So while load count is down, there is money to be made...it just seems to depend on your carrier....

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
whens it start really hitting hard, Its wierd cuz in the local delivery service that i did last year for prestige, these months were so packed i was somedays doing 2 adays.

As a rule of thumb freight usually picks up when dispatch tells you to pick it up! lol

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Oh I don't know there Dale it goes against the popular belief that it gets so slow hence that there isn't a lot of work during this time but I see it more of a problem with the company than the market. Those independent owners I know seem to do well this time of year as I did when I ran a van. I just got back from running with one and he seems to be running butt off for the past five weeks nonstop. The same seems to go for the ls people too, those who I talked to are rolling along so as I have said in the past it seems to be more of company issue.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
We've been hit and miss for January. I'd be glad to see it pick up tomorrow. We has a real good first quarter last year. Even better than the 4th quarter, which left a lot to be desired. In this kind of market, there are no rules.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have been running real good all month....just depends on your carrier...or just be in the right place at the right time..

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
We've been hit and miss for January. I'd be glad to see it pick up tomorrow. We has a real good first quarter last year. Even better than the 4th quarter, which left a lot to be desired. In this kind of market, there are no rules.

Thanks for the info Jeff, Yea it was kind of wierd and confusing the way the freight is compared to courier buisness. I mean the route I had was 20 some stops to pharmacies every day,that was always buisy but I also had a staples route to and came January it was crazy buisy.