What's Going on in the US House of Representatives?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Colleagues may be referring to both Republican and Democrats.
No Democrat fought to get Santos into office or to keep him there. The Republicans who did are now tainted with a Santos stain.

Santos' NY Republican House freshmen colleagues advocated for his ouster long ago. They saw Santos for who he was, and they saw the Santos-stain risk he posed to them and all Republicans. But the majority of Republican House members did not listen. And now they wear the Santos stain.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
So what? The reference to colleagues could still be pertaining to Dems as well
Santo's use of the word "colleagues" may indeed refer to Dems and Republicans. But the practical effect is his lies and crimes stain Republicans. Democrats will try to paint Republicans with as much Santos paint as they can. Republicans do not have that can or brush because Santos is a Republican colleague who many Republicans acted to protect.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Santo's use of the word "colleagues" may indeed refer to Dems and Republicans. But the practical effect is his lies and crimes stain Republicans. Democrats will try to paint Republicans with as much Santos paint as they can. Republicans do not have that can or brush because Santos is a Republican colleague who many Republicans acted to protect.
News flash: George Santos won’t be anything that voters will care about come Presidential election time. But by all means paint away.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
More Republican Dysfunction; Santos Goes Off on His House Colleagues

"I have colleagues who are more worried about getting drunk every night with the next lobbyist that they're gonna screw and pretend like none of us know what's going on, and sell off the American people, not show up to vote because they're too hungover or whatever the reason is, or not show up to vote at all and just give their card out like f*cking candy for someone else to vote for them." George Santos
If the actions and rants of Santos represent "Republican Dysfunction", then it would be fair to say that the same from Bob Menendez and/or Rashida Tlaib represent Democrat Dysfunction. In fact, considering the extreme leftward drift of the Democrat party over the past three years we need look no further than to the Squad to see what the Democrat party represents now, and what its intended goals are for the country's future.

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If the actions and rants of Santos represent "Republican Dysfunction", then it would be fair to say that the same from Bob Menendez and/or Rashida Tlaib represent Democrat Dysfunction. In fact, considering the extreme leftward drift of the Democrat party over the past three years we need look no further than to the Squad to see what the Democrat party represents now, and what its intended goals are for the country's future.
Two notable differences. Numerous Democrats immediately called for Menendez's resignation when his troubles broke into the open. Few Republicans called for Santos to resign. The other is House Democrats are able to govern. Republican House members, with the same thin majority the Democrats had, are unable to govern. The inability to govern is what makes them dysfunctional, and it's what makes Santos a manifestation of that dysfunction.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Two notable differences. Numerous Democrats immediately called for Menendez's resignation when his troubles broke into the open. Few Republicans called for Santos to resign. The other is House Democrats are able to govern. Republican House members, with the same thin majority the Democrats had, are unable to govern. The inability to govern is what makes them dysfunctional, and it's what makes Santos a manifestation of that dysfunction.
“Numerous Democrats” can give easy lip service about Menendez without any bite. But the Democratic Senate Leader Chuck Schumer could publicly demand he resign or move to expel, yet months later and still nothing from him.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First of all, there were numerous Republicans that called for Santos to resign and he refused. Secondly, there were even more Democrats that called for Menendez to resign due to his second felony indictment, and he also refused. Which is worse? Keep in mind that he got off his first corruption charge with a mistrial (while still serving in the Senate), and was re-elected. Both of these guys were known to their voters, and Menendez was particularly notorious in NJ. He has not become the face of the Democrat party and the same goes for Santos.

Secondly, it's almost impossible to expel someone from Congress. Only five House members have been expelled in the history of the country.

Finally, your absolute declaration that "Republicans can't govern" is nothing more than a liberal talking point parroted by all the usual sources like CNN, Axios and MSNBC; a false mantra that is to be repeated over and over until people begin to believe it, just like the Russia Collusion Hoax.
The Democrats have their own serious disagreements right now, with policy differences about support for the war in Israel being a prime example. Intra-party squabbles are nothing new, and everybody knows that sausage-making is ugly.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Finally, your absolute declaration that "Republicans can't govern" is nothing more than a liberal talking point parroted by all the usual sources like CNN, Axios and MSNBC; a false mantra that is to be repeated over and over until people begin to believe it, j
You don't have to believe me or the sources you cite. GOP House member Chip Roy nicely sums things up:

"One thing. I want my Republican colleagues to give me one thing. One. That I can go campaign on and say we did. Anybody sitting in the complex, if you want to come down to the floor and come explain to me, one meaningful, significant thing the Republican majority has done," Roy said.

"For the life of me, I do not understand how you can go to the trouble of campaigning, raising money, going to events, talking to people, coming to this town as a member of a party who allegedly stands for something, allegedly stands for reducing spending, allegedly stands for eliminating debt, securing the border, strong military, ending the wokeness that is killing and corrupting our schools and our kids and then do nothing about it," Roy added.

"You know, we have had a tumultuous year of sorts, but in the eyes of the American people, they've been watching from afar, wondering when this body, the people's house, will stand up in defense of the people who send us here. When are we going to do what we said we would do? When are we going to stand up for it and stop the reckless spending that is bankrupting a country that can no longer issue debt without having Moody's downgrade our rating?" Roy continued.

"Some of our brothers and sisters—particularly in the, you know, MAGA camp, I think— particularly enjoy the circular firing squad," Roy said, before rebuffing critics who referred to him as a Republican in Name Only (RINO). "You want to come at me and call me a RINO? You can kiss my a**."

To my knowledge, no Republican stepped forward to answer Roy. No one gave him one thing that he can go campaign on and say they did. Maybe you can. Is there one thing that the House Republicans did that you know of? Can you provide Roy with even one thing the Republicans did?

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You don't have to believe me or the sources you cite. GOP House member Chip Roy nicely sums things up:

"One thing. I want my Republican colleagues to give me one thing. One. That I can go campaign on and say we did. Anybody sitting in the complex, if you want to come down to the floor and come explain to me, one meaningful, significant thing the Republican majority has done," Roy said.

"For the life of me, I do not understand how you can go to the trouble of campaigning, raising money, going to events, talking to people, coming to this town as a member of a party who allegedly stands for something, allegedly stands for reducing spending, allegedly stands for eliminating debt, securing the border, strong military, ending the wokeness that is killing and corrupting our schools and our kids and then do nothing about it," Roy added.

"You know, we have had a tumultuous year of sorts, but in the eyes of the American people, they've been watching from afar, wondering when this body, the people's house, will stand up in defense of the people who send us here. When are we going to do what we said we would do? When are we going to stand up for it and stop the reckless spending that is bankrupting a country that can no longer issue debt without having Moody's downgrade our rating?" Roy continued.

"Some of our brothers and sisters—particularly in the, you know, MAGA camp, I think— particularly enjoy the circular firing squad," Roy said, before rebuffing critics who referred to him as a Republican in Name Only (RINO). "You want to come at me and call me a RINO? You can kiss my a**."

To my knowledge, no Republican stepped forward to answer Roy. No one gave him one thing that he can go campaign on and say they did. Maybe you can. Is there one thing that the House Republicans did that you know of? Can you provide Roy with even one thing the Republicans did?

I’m not quite understanding what Roy’s rant is about. He listed a bunch of items that MAGA wants to take action on and then complains about them. The problems he listed won’t improve by nibbling around the edges like non MAGA want to do. It will only get worse.

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I’m not quite understanding what Roy’s rant is about. He listed a bunch of items that MAGA wants to take action on and then complains about them. The problems he listed won’t improve by nibbling around the edges like non MAGA want to do. It will only get worse.
He is talking about the fact that the House Republicans can't govern. "Give me one thing ..."

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh wait. I get it. He just wants something he can tell his constituents that is getting “fixed” without actually doing it so he can campaign on it.

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Oh wait. I get it. He just wants something he can tell his constituents that is getting “fixed” without actually doing it so he can campaign on it.
I don't think you are accurately characterizing Roy's request. Can you answer Chip Roy's request? Can you give him at least one thing House Republicans did that he (or any Republican for that matter) can go back home and proudly present to the voters? Can you name even one thing that the House Republicans did that, while holding the majority, have delivered that made a positive difference for their constituents?

"One thing. I want my Republican colleagues to give me one thing. One. That I can go campaign on and say we did."

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think you are accurately characterizing Roy's request. Can you answer Chip Roy's request? Can you give him at least one thing House Republicans did that he (or any Republican for that matter) can go back home and proudly present to the voters? Can you name even one thing that the House Republicans did that, while holding the majority, have delivered that made a positive difference for their constituents?

"One thing. I want my Republican colleagues to give me one thing. One. That I can go campaign on and say we did."
There is also a Senate that is controlled by the Dems and Biden’s veto. Are you forgetting that?

• Haha
Reactions: Ragman and RLENT

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's an irrelevant assertion based on nothing but political bloviation. What Chip Roy's constituents will want to know is what HE did and how HE voted as their elected representative to deserve their vote. The people in his district know he can't control the actions of other members of the House, but his voting record needs to represent their best interests. It's too bad he's more concerned with playing for the cameras and the media, while unwittingly providing fodder for the liberal opposition.

Can you provide Roy with even one thing the Republicans did?
Not much in the way of legislation. The investigations into Biden corruption have been quite revealing; but that's not what the media want to hear. The House has passed TWELVE (12) bills so far this year. By comparison, the Democrat controlled Senate has passed SEVEN (7) bills. It's doubtful that any member of either chamber will be basing their campaign on legislation their party has passed to benefit the American people.

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Both Should be Expelled

It is expected that Republican George Santos will be expelled from the US House this week. I see no good reason why Democratic Senator Robert Menendez should not be similarly expelled from the US Senate.

There is one notable difference. It's a difference in timing, not in core circumstances. While a number of them first said Santos should remain seated until he is found guilty in a court of law, the House Republicans became willing to expel Santos after the House Ethics Committee report came out. Currently, while some Senate Democrats are calling on Menendez to resign, others are saying he should remain seated until he is found guilty in a court of law. Mendez is still being investigated by the Senate Select Committee on Ethics.

Presuming the Senate Ethics Committee findings will align with the federal indictments against Menendez, fairness demands that Menendez be expelled when that report is issued. But as far as I am concerned, the indictments themselves are sufficient grounds to immediately expel both men from both chambers. They can retain the presumption of innocence in court and they both deserve their day in court. But neither one of them deserve to hold their respective seats in the House and Senate. Both should have been expelled soon after they were indicted.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Santos is officially out. His ethics violations were too much to overcome, the indictments notwithstanding.