whats better, percentag or millage pay?

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
I work for panther right now and I am buying my first truck.Now panthers new pay package will give me 1.25 a mile but I have to have a lift gate. Now some ppl say that with % I would get paid more per load. I'm a little Leary about that any advice would be appreciated.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I work for panther right now and I am buying my first truck.Now panthers new pay package will give me 1.25 a mile but I have to have a lift gate. Now some ppl say that with % I would get paid more per load. I'm a little Leary about that any advice would be appreciated.

I've always liked a % contract,but it has one draw back.If the company is giving discounts,on percebtage,your pay becomes less.Usually on mileage,your already getting a lower rate,so the company can haul freight for less.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i would get a lift gate , as it will give you one more choice of loads

as getting to del and they don't have a forklift you will be able to get it to ground
or if you do a tranfer from one truck to another or to a van
more option aviable to you more you will be able to do
most important is the weight of liftgate and weight you will be able to pickup
next important part of list gate is edge of liftgate as you want to get even with the ground and be able to move palletjack with it

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
A lift gate makes you available for more loads and that gives you an advantage.

Anything you can to do to make yourself more desirable will help you in the long run.

We purchased our lift gate with every intention on moving it to our next truck. We spent the money to buy a good one and we have never regretted that decision.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think it is carrier specific. They may be wondrous at the Fed, but at the Cat they are nothing but a boat anchor.
Case in point, ran a reefer that Chetjester drove for us two years ago and we used the lift gate I think twice. That was the last truck we had with one. Chet made good money but it wasn't because of the reefer or lift gate.
With the additional weight and maintenance, the nickel gets burned up in additional fuel costs because of the weight and several winter maintenance issues.
My guess is you would lose as many loads as you gain because you just cut the payload with the boat anchor on.
Or.........you now have to add a tag or second axle which is more weight to cart around, more tires, more taxes, more tolls, and the list goes on.

As to the original question regarding percentage vs mileage,, one can be as good as the other. Just depends on the bottom line.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm with Dave, out of 120 load offers and loads, I have been asked for a lift gate three times with this company. My previous company once.

I have gotten more reefer work which means more money overall.

The problem with the lift gate and all of this talk about having more opportunities means little unless the company sells that service and only provides the work to you on a consistent basis.

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
Dave, I agree with you about the boat anchor. The problem is even as a team, with hazmat we would be at 1.15 without it. Doing the math we would be barley scraping by.leaving very little for emergencys. I like this company, but dont know if we could make it. Any advice?

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Dave, I agree with you about the boat anchor. The problem is even as a team, with hazmat we would be at 1.15 without it. Doing the math we would be barley scraping by.leaving very little for emergencys. I like this company, but dont know if we could make it. Any advice?

Have to agree with Dave. One of our trucks had a lift gate and when we signed it on with a carrier, they were very positive about it being used often. In two years with that carrier, it was used once and that was due to a dispatcher's mistake. If you do go with one, make sure it has the adapter bar that allows dock locks to attach. More and more companies are refusing to unload trucks with lift gates that cannot be locked to the dock. We have since removed the lift gate and installed a standard ICC bar. It increased the load weight by 1,000 lbs. which has already paid for the cost to remove it.

As for percentage vs. mileage, we have done both and percentage works better for us. Our load offers come across with the amount charged to the customer, our percentage of it,the FSC, and the mileage. A quick calculation gives us the mileage rate. One thing is for sure. We would never accept a contract at $1.15 a mile. Check with other carriers before you commit. You can do better, especially with Hazmat.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

In one post you say 1.25 and one you say 1.15. I really don't know what rate they sign new trucks on at. The liftgate issue I responded to in another post would still stand. The nickel difference is negligible. Or, the overall costs outweigh the benefits. And as mentioned, for extra loads you may gain, you loose just as many for the stated reasons in the other posts.
If they are signing on new trucks at 1.15, you may be better served to drive for a fleet owner that runs at higher rates.
The 1.15 certainly isn't the cheapest out there, but I haven't heard that number from any one either.

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
I believe Sparkle is saying the offer is $1.25/LM with a liftgate and $1.15/LM without a liftgate. That's how I was understanding it anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.

you are correct. 1.15 no lift gate 1.25 with one 1.35 for reefer 1.50 tval. I am with an owner op now his rate is 1.35 with no liftgate. so I have to buy more truck for less pay. I did the math and i'm not comfortable with the profit margin at 1.15. so if I dont get the liftgate i cant work for panther. Thats the reason for the % question.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
you are correct. 1.15 no lift gate 1.25 with one 1.35 for reefer 1.50 tval. I am with an owner op now his rate is 1.35 with no liftgate. so I have to buy more truck for less pay. I did the math and i'm not comfortable with the profit margin at 1.15. so if I dont get the liftgate i cant work for panther. Thats the reason for the % question.

one more thing.with hte lift gate you now weigh more,to get maximum load offers,you should have a tag axle,you may be to heavy with the liftgate to haul the regular D loads,so now with less offers,is it still wise to get the liftgate you may never use

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
one more thing.with hte lift gate you now weigh more,to get maximum load offers,you should have a tag axle,you may be to heavy with the liftgate to haul the regular D loads,so now with less offers,is it still wise to get the liftgate you may never use

exactly what I was thinking! so I want to know,can a driver average 1.25 loaded miles on % and if so what company?