What would you do??

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Inkasana is correct, attitude is 50% of the battle. If you show fear they can see that and will prey on those fears. Show strength and they tend to back off. Maybe a kick-boxing class would help. SHOW NO FEAR!! 30% is being aware of your surrounds and the other 20% is being able to "Kick Butt" as needed!!

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
yeah I get that all time. thats the thing about being a women in a male domanated industry. I just give them a snotty look like "what" and they usally walk away. I had on guy who was 20 years older than me and 200 pounds heaver ask me '' want me to wash your back baby'' when I was at the counter getting a shower. NASTY!!!!!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I must give off one heck of a do not mess with me attitude as I have never had a guy ask me such a goofy question in the over ten years I have been out here.

When I go in for my shower I am either dressed in my slacks with a button down shirt or I am in my workout clothes which consists of a t-shirt that has its sleeves and sweat pants and tennis shoes.

I have had guys see me coming and bring me an extra towel for my hair. I once had a guy shower attendant make me nervous as he asked if I was going into shower such and such and I said "yes" and he said "I will get the door for you as it sticks" when he opened the door he reminded me to use the dead bolt and walked away.

I know I carry myself with a professional attitude and I know I do not look or act like a victim and I believe that is part of why I get treated with respect. It could also be my look of mess with me and you are not going to like the result attitude.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Jenny and others, this is not isolated incidents and only for van drivers. This is what has happened to my wife.

While we were bringing back two tractors from Phoenix to Dallas, this other driver came up alongside of my wife, matched her speed no matter what speed she did. I finally broke this up by slowing in front of my wife, the jerk ball gave me the dirtiest look as he passed me.

While running a load, a flatbed driver came up alongside and was trying to get her to pull over. Got on the CB to try and convince her to pull over. Then finally we went in a direction that he couldn't - lost him.

While cleaning the windshields, this other driver comes up and says to her. Hey sweetheart when you get through with yours come over and do mine, while rubbing his genitals.

These are just some of the issues that we have run into. This is while both running tractor-trailer and straight truck. This is while being a company driver and driving for a fleet owner.

My wife is in her mid 40's but looks like in her late 20's early 30's and she does not dress to attract these morons.

Jenny I applaud you for bringing this up.

This is a safety issue for all drivers.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think you did the right thing in both situations, the only thing I would add....when you were sitting in the van alone and this creep came close to the vehicle, I would have reached over and laid on the horn until he either took off or someone noticed and came to inquire. You did the right thing by texting Nick but in the event that he couldn't get to you fast enough, you need to draw attention to your situation.

You must have been really freaked, these things happening within hours of each other. That's one of the things I don't like about this business, having to deal with weirdos that can't seem to leave the rest of us alone.

I used to fuel the truck while DD slept but not anymore. I do not get out of the vehicle unless he's right there to see.

....... yep. your right. draw attention...
i am a solo driver........ i really hadnt ran into any scary problems like this...
well wait........ once there was a man walking from truck to truck selling tapes .and such.... he cam eo tmy truck... i shooo'd him off as i do others.. and others just move on.
nt this guy he just stayed there....... and would not leave..
soooooooooooooo i got on my CB... you will be surprise how many truck drivers came to my aid.. ..
I lovesss my CB .. lol

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
Just a quick question. Why if a person or persons are in a van or sprinter would they choose to frequent truck stops. Everything is accessible in that type of vehicle.

There is nothing I can think of at a truck stop that can't be purchased else where at a savings.

I'm not trying to sound like one of those so called knuckle dragger's but If your avatar is a picture of you I would think anywhere you go they are going to look, please don't take this the wrong way, it's just a fact.

I never thought it would be possible, but now that I am in a van, it surprises me how many people do not want a van hanging out in their parking lot, and asked to leave.Besides, I find alot of other expeditors at truckstops, and it seems to make waiting for a load alot easier.

On a separate note, a good thing to have on a van, or s/t, is a pa speaker hooked into youre cb, which all cb's have a plug for in the back,and a knob for on the face of them. And they are surprisingly loud outside.Petro sells them for around $20.00.I have mine mounted under the seat on the outside floorboard, under the van,and it freaks the crackheads out when I ask them what do they want while never rolling the window down, but yet everyone else hears me asking him this, and he just walks away, because attention is now drawn to him..You just turn the knob on youre cb to pa and talk into youre cb mic and it is broadcast outside.