What will happen going from 58 MPH to 65 MPH to fuel mileage

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Today will be my first day driving at 65 mph where applicable. My day will not start out using an interstate and I will not be able to use the cruise for the first 100 or so miles. Not being able to use the cruise and keeping my speed higher then I am used to is going to be difficult for me. I will see how it goes.

Henry Albert started on his trip to Laredo yesterday with his cruise set at 60 mph. He has a dedicated run and he knows where he usually is at certain times of the trip. He is struggling with boredom and changing his habits on where he normally stops for breaks. Henry has used his cruise more than he likes due to his natural habit of running a little faster.

We will both blog about the start of our test.

Henry Alberts Blog

It's a Teams Life Blog

I am a bit confused on this. Is your truck speed limited at 65MPH? If so, is it a good idea to run 'maxed' out all the time so to speak?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Joe it is a test that is all.....

I think maybe you missed the first post about an experiment to see how increasing our speed will really hurt our fuel mileage. With a more aerodynamic truck, the Cascadia, is running below 60 mph really getting us our best fuel mileage?

No our truck is not speed limited

No it does not hurt to run up against a speed limiter. Look at all the trucks that are governed that run as hard as the truck will run every day such as US Xpress.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Joe it is a test that is all.....

I think maybe you missed the first post about an experiment to see how increasing our speed will really hurt our fuel mileage. With a more aerodynamic truck, the Cascadia, is running below 60 mph really getting us our best fuel mileage?

No it does not hurt to run up against a speed limiter. Look at all the trucks that are governed that run has hard as the truck will run every day such as US Xpress.

No, I saw the post about the experiment and I am looking forward to seeing the results.

It does not 'hurt' the truck to 'bump' up to the speed limiter, they do run 'funny' when they are up against it. I also don't like not having anything 'in reserve'.

It should be an interesting experiment.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter

I have spoken with FDCC contractors and thought I remembered being told that ALL FDCC trucks needed to be speed limited. Wanting to refresh my memory I talked to a contractor about this and my recollection was correct. Team Caffee, did you get an exemption? Can all contractors get the same exemption or is this a special case for "research".

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have spoken with FDCC contractors and thought I remembered being told that ALL FDCC trucks needed to be speed limited. Wanting to refresh my memory I talked to a contractor about this and my recollection was correct. Team Caffee, did you get an exemption? Can all contractors get the same exemption or is this a special case for "research".

No special consideration. The rule is trucks going into into the provinces in Canada that require the speed limiter can put the limiter on before going into Canada and then have the speed limiter removed when the truck exits Canada.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
My first day of driving 65 mph and this is going to take more concentration then I first imagined. i was on four lane back roads when starting my driving shift this morning.

The speed limit was 70 mph and then I would reach a small town and the speed limit would be reduced to 55 mph which required me to slow down much more then I used to at my customary 58 mph. I usually enjoy driving on back roads but found the constant speeding up and slowing down frustrating.

I used my cruise today more then usual as when using my foot I would slow back down to 58 mph.

We filled the fuel tanks on Sunday and on the dash when I quit driving I was close to 11 mpg. We will fill tomorrow and will learn our first MPG using the odometer. Our first load was very light and our second load will be a little heavier for this test.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Interesting. As I recall, proof of the truck being speed limited was required before a new truck was signed on or a lease was resigned/renewed. The next time I talk to that contractor I'll have to clarify that I guess, being the owners of a relitivly new truck. Being with FDCC yourself I am in NO WAY doubting what you say. I was just under the impression, as were they, that the truck was to be speed limited.

With what seems to be a limited number of runs going in and out of Canada and more miles being driven in the US, it just seemed an annoyance to have the truck limited. Seems like it could be costly to have it changed each time you go in and then again on the way out not knowing if one might just turn around go right back.

Do you know of places at each border crossing that handle changing the limiter? Seems that could be valuable information for other contractors.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If one chooses and commits to driving for mileage and money savings the limiter can be set and forgotten. There is a LOT of money floating around the ether just waiting to be captured by those who drive in a manner to capture it. It will be interesting to follow the progress of the experiments and see the results.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first day of driving 65 mph and this is going to take more concentration then I first imagined. i was on four lane back roads when starting my driving shift this morning.

The speed limit was 70 mph and then I would reach a small town and the speed limit would be reduced to 55 mph which required me to slow down much more then I used to at my customary 58 mph. I usually enjoy driving on back roads but found the constant speeding up and slowing down frustrating.

I used my cruise today more then usual as when using my foot I would slow back down to 58 mph.

We filled the fuel tanks on Sunday and on the dash when I quit driving I was close to 11 mpg. We will fill tomorrow and will learn our first MPG using the odometer. Our first load was very light and our second load will be a little heavier for this test.

As you already are aware your timing coming into towns will be different...taking your foot off the pedal sooner to slowdown without using up your brakes....It'll take a little longer on the fuel pedal to get back up to speed..that is where you'll lose MPG's...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Ken, That was one of frustrations with the small towns is having to slow down quicker and how much longer it takes me to get back to speed. I noticed immediatly that my reaction time has to be a lot faster and it only took a couple miles to adjust to this.

Today I have found it easier to get up to 65 mph BUT now I am dealing with the wind!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The latest report on how slowing down from 65 to 60 in an aerodynamic truck and trailer can affect fuel mileage. Henry posted his latest engine report with very positive results...

Henry Alberts Blog

To see the DDEC report click on report a couple of times to enlarge the picture.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Linda,

You mentioned your truck possibly having done a regen while on that trip. That got me wondering, have you had to do any static regens since getting your truck? If so do you remember how many/how often?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have only done passive regens.

We do not idle the truck and anyone that we know that runs their motors like we do has never done an active regen.

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
What do people not understand they do not add or remove anything for the speed all they do is reset the ecm that's it nothing else

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What do people not understand they do not add or remove anything for the speed all they do is reset the ecm that's it nothing else
Beeeeeecause due to a complete lack of punctuation and two indefinite pronouns there's no way to tell if the quoted text is one or four sentences, which only compounds the ineffective communication, and thus, the confusion about the subject?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Beeeeeecause due to a complete lack of punctuation and two indefinite pronouns there's no way to tell if the quoted text is one or four sentences, which only compounds the ineffective communication, and thus, the confusion about the subject?

Exactly......

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
On the personal side Linda....are you comfortable at 65 mph?.....are you able to relax any? It must feel like you are zooming down the road....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The best part of this is with all the extra time you have thanks to the higher speed you'll now have time to resume spending the 97 seconds a day it takes to catch up and keep in touch with your ebookgab friends. :p