What will happen going from 58 MPH to 65 MPH to fuel mileage

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
For me I've upped my speed and I don't feel as comfortable as I did down at 61-63....
Comfort is also an important factor as well, besides the money...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Bob and I both struggle to reach 65 mph and we are fine once we get to 65 mph. I have to concentrate to get the truck going that fast as I start unconsciously letting off the throttle when I get to 55 mph.

Starting next week we will drop the MPH down to 63 and see how the DD13 performs with fuel mileage.

The motor runs very smooth at 58 and at 65 mph and still sounds like it is idling down the road with no stress.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bob and I both struggle to reach 65 mph and we are fine once we get to 65 mph. I have to concentrate to get the truck going that fast as I start unconsciously letting off the throttle when I get to 55 mph.

Starting next week we will drop the MPH down to 63 and see how the DD13 performs with fuel mileage.

The motor runs very smooth at 58 and at 65 mph and still sounds like it is idling down the road with no stress.

I was asking about you and Bob.....you find any added stress to yourselves at that speed..are YOU comfortable?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are adjusting to the speed and are comfortable, if we had not been comfortable we would have slowed back down. One of the other consequences of this test has been sleeping as we adjust our speed more often then we were.

Probably one of the hardest things was to adjust for two lane and narrow roads. We are usually going the city limit posted speed when we get to the city limits now we have to slow down for the cities and then pick the speed back up once outside of the cities.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
some of your loads are very time specific....if you do 8 hours straight thru....you pick up 56 minutes of time... 7 x 8 = 56

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You are right!

Some of our loads though could be ran a little faster an unload a day early and we will consider that into the equation when we start out. That is why I say this has been a learning experience as I now know what speeding up will cost us and we can make a better educated decision.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Even slowed from 65 to 63 you should still have the 97 seconds needed to stay current daily with your ebook friends. :p

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are through phase one of our fuel mileage test with us running at 65 mph and Henry Albert running at 60 mph and both of us have came up with the same conclusion "It Depends".

Henry has posted many of his engine reports (DDEC) on the Slice of Trucker Life web site showing the history of his speed versus fuel consumption and how is test turned out.

Henry Alberts Blog

I have also posted several of our DDEC reports and our conclusions. The next phase of the test will be listening and running the engine the way it wants to be run and not at a set speed. Much of this will be done not using cruise control and learning to work the hills.

It's a Teams Life Blog