What went wrong ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Afterthought:
Maybe a Michelin dealer will give him some sort if Goodwill policy adjustment.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Afterthought:
Maybe a Michelin dealer will give him some sort if Goodwill policy adjustment.

Ya just never know; might be well worth asking about at a dealer who sells Michelins. I certainly would. Sometimes there are good things that happen in the universe.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Age can be determined by the dates on the tires. Miles can be judged by the depth of thread. Don't need to say they came from Craigslist. Bought them while in another state, receipt got lost in your truck. Possibly got thrown away with trash or blew out the window? They should understand that if they built a defective tire, they should stand behind it. Regardless of where they were purchased. I bought a used Suburban, 2/12 years later the battery failed. It was a 5 year battery with a 3 year free replacement warranty. I had no receipt for the battery. They checked the punched out code, and gave me a new battery for free. No questions asked, should be the same with tires. I'd at least try.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
The date of manufacture of the tire can be verified by the set of 4 numbers in an oblong along the bead of the tire followed by the letters "DOT". The four numbers designate the week of the year they were made. 2012 would mean the tires were made in the 20th week of 2012.

I have found it is far better to do business with nationwide tire chains with a nationwide warranty rather than trying to save a few bucks using the small guy with a warranty only valid at his shop. Don't do you much good if you're in Arkansas and you need to replace a tire that was bought in Ohio, where the warranty or repair, whatever the case may be, is honored.The same with repairs.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
OK, drove up to my local tire shop, and the guy called me over to see how balancing tires is done.

When my wheel was turning on that machine I've noticed that my tire is not complete round, more like the shape of an egg !!!!!

.....and it looked like the tires were BOUNCING like hell on that Machine too...........RIGHT???

Same Issue as I had / described...............

RonJonCMC

Seasoned Expediter
OK RMPM, I'm sorry to hear of all your troubles, but this reads like a cheap novel. Going from one post to another to find there is no ending to the story.......don't keep us hangin, what is the end of the story? Hope it wasn't to expensive.

RMPM01

Seasoned Expediter
OK RMPM, I'm sorry to hear of all your troubles, but this reads like a cheap novel. Going from one post to another to find there is no ending to the story.......don't keep us hangin, what is the end of the story? Hope it wasn't to expensive.

OK RonJonCMC, if you would read my last post you would know that I'm going to Ford dealership today.

So, just came back from ford and it was alignment. When he was approaching my cv from the front he all ready knew what it was.

Took my cv for a test drive with me, and he was honest as well. Kind of gave me a lecture about how important rotating tires is.

I dont want this thread to be a "cheap novel" so thank you guys for reply, lesson was learn in all of this. Do rotation every 10k, dont do alignment for $60 and think it will be ok, and buy tires from a store where you can exchange them in case they will go bad.

Again THX

P.S. My passengers front wheel was tilted on the top, thats why he knew.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK, drove up to my local tire shop, and the guy called me over to see how balancing tires is done.

When my wheel was turning on that machine I've noticed that my tire is not complete round, more like the shape of an egg !!!!!

But...? The alignment doesn't change the shape of the tire.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But...? The alignment doesn't change the shape of the tire.

It can, sort of. If the tires were out-of-round, they'd have been out-of-round when they were bought. But a bad alignment can cause them to wear really funny, usually in a scalloped pattern, but sometimes spaced much farther out, creating what appears to be an out-of-round tire that shows up when they're spun on a balancer. If the tread is closely examined on such a tire, it'll be the tread that's no longer uniform, making the tire out-of-round. Bad ball joints or a loose steering rack will do the same thing sometimes.

People feel a vibration and naturally the first thing they think is out-of-balance. But the out-of-balance situation is more often than not a symptom of some mechanical problem, rather than just a balance weight that's slipped off.

Incidentally, I rotate my tires about every 50,000 miles. Rotating them frequently (like every 10,000 miles, which for an expediter is every couple of months) keeps the wear more even, but when the tires are properly balanced and everything is mechanically sound, they should have very little uneven wear in the first place. Not rotating them as often lets me see irregular tread wear, which tells me there's some mechanical adjustment that needs to be made.

RMPM01

Seasoned Expediter
Hello,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, health problems really got me depressed.

So, I got new tires and did the alignment also did so called road force balance ( here is a little video that I found on YOUTUBE)

Tire Road Force Balancing Machine Advanced Auto Clinic Delavan - YouTube

Still the same problem, going over 65mph vibration kicks in, it it better, but not perfect. So I took my van to a different mechanic, now that is my #3 mechanic in the past two weeks.

He check suspension components and every thing is fine, so he decided to balance my tires again and all of them were out of balance. What!!!!!!!!!

I did balancing of my tires so many times and every time the are out of balance? Unreal.

So, we balanced all of them again, 0.0 on all. But when we would place them back again on the machine, they would be out of balance. WHY ???

Road force balancing would discover bent rim, right?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I have always spent the money on a full on vehicle high speed spin balance which stops everything from vibrating it spins the tire wheel and brake drum at one time costs more but worth it had my tour coach spun and the insisted I take off the chrome wheel simulators as they were causing problems and they are right all was better! Now equipped with alcoas all the way around