What the sun can do to you face when driving at truck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
And I've been busted twice for tinted windows in a commercial vehicle .
Once, very dark.
Second time it was a used truck from California. The tint was so light I'd forgotten the windows were tinted. This was an excuse to pull me over situation.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Sun screen in a truck maybe something all drivers need to put on.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I know that a lot of veteran drivers end up with melanoma on the left arm. My left am is darker than my right, that's for sure. Now the face...one more thing to worry about.

the_hungaria

Active Expediter
It is legal to tint a commercial vehicle as long as it lets through 70% of light (or 30% tint) I have 35% on both sides of my T/T and no mentions of it. Been on there forever. As long *** you don't go limo dark you should be good...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Best Sunscreen | Top Picks and Reviews at ConsumerSearch the dermatoligist will tell u to wear sunscreen year around, but u know, the hard headed types wont do it. Yes it is an ego thing guys.

Don't think it is ONLY an ego thing. I hate the feel of chemicals slathared all over me. It stinks and makes me itch. It will be a few years then we will find out that sun screens cause a different type of cancer. In the mean time I don't have any problem with my vitamin D levels! I still get NO were near the sun I used too when I got to hunt and fish enough. I quit worrying about most of this stuff. If one thing don't get me, something else is surely going too.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Don't think it is ONLY an ego thing. I hate the feel of chemicals slathared all over me. It stinks and makes me itch. It will be a few years then we will find out that sun screens cause a different type of cancer. In the mean time I don't have any problem with my vitamin D levels! I still get NO were near the sun I used too when I got to hunt and fish enough. I quit worrying about most of this stuff. If one thing don't get me, something else is surely going too.
then take ur medication daily, I do, helps with old age,lol

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
then take ur medication daily, I do, helps with old age,lol

Besides everything else you catch fewer fish and shoot less game when wearing that stinky ole stuff. :p Same deal with those smelly ole bug sprays. No use living to 100 if you don't enjoy it!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We COULD cut down on skin cancer rates by getting rid of Daylight Savings time. It's that extra hour of sun that is doing the damage! LOL! I wonder how my Dad, who burns easily, have lived to 89 and counting?

You, know, if I quit doing what the 'powers that be' want me to stop doing, quit eating what I should not and did not drink ANYTHING but water I would already be dead of starvation or boredom.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is only one big fat guy that should be ghost white...... the michilen man!!!! like my tan man

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh Mr. Sun. Sun. Mr. golden sun. Please shine down on me.
Oh Mr. Sun. Sun. Mr. golden sun. Hiding behind a tree.
These little children are asking you. To please come out so we can play with you.
Oh Mr. Sun. Sun. Mr. golden sun. Please shine down on me.

Mr. Sun you treacherous, cancer causing, old bag of hydrogen. We thought you were our friend. Now we find out you are trying to kill us while we drive our vehicles. What's the matter with you? Are you afraid some airborne diesel particulate and greenhouse gas will filter out your harmful UV rays? How insidious of you to enlist the likes of Al Gore, the Corn Growers Association and the Green Party to do your biding here on Earth.

We don't need you! We have Mr. Moon to light our way. I hope you go supernova real soon. I have my welders goggles handy and want a front row seat for this event. Until that day, I will slather my face with 90 weight zinc oxide, take a vow of silence and change my name to Marcel Mootceau.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Our group has talked often of window tinting and what is legal and not legal. FMCSA regulation contained in 393.60(d) allows windshield and windows to the immediate left and right of the driver to be tinted such that 70% of the light is transmitted through the window. Clear glass blocks approximately 10% of the light and some factory tinted windows allow 75-80% light to pass through. A typical Freightliner, for example, allows 76% of the light to pass through.

If you were to buy 30% tint to achieve the allowed 70% on a CMV Sprinter, you would then be non-compliant at 49% transmittance. Check before you buy.

No professional driver should be using this, or any other public forum, to promote non-compliance with the regulations. Consider, instead, promoting clear UV blocking window film such as available here: Amazon.com: Clear UV Blocking Window Film - 30" wide: Sold in one continuous roll, by the foot.: Home & Kitchen

Even if you have never been caught it only takes once and now a drivers clean record will have CSA points.

Another item I find interesting it the study that points out drivers do not get enough sun and need to be checked for Vitamin D levels. These levels are usually dangerously low and require a prescription to bring the Vitamin D level up to where taking a daily Vitamin D can maintain a satisfactory level.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have been concerned about these kind of articles carried on our so called news outlets for a very long time. Everything is either a crisis, epidemic or a pandemic. They have cried wolf FAR too many times to have any credibility.

I find it very hard to buy that one can burn to a crisp AND not get enough sun to produce the needed Vitamin D. It only takes about 15-20 minutes of sun per day to accomplish that goal. It is, however, a very good idea to get regular blood work to insure proper levels. Mine is checked often and is always in very good ranges.

One other point. IF I were to believe this story, and believed that I was going to get skin cancer I would not care one bit about the regulations. I would do what ever it took to insure protection, let them ticket me, and then sue them. NO freight or CSA points are worth a drivers life. IF this story is true and the regs remain the same, it would just be MORE proof that the government writes regs to make money off of tickets and is not interested in safety.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been concerned about these kind of articles carried on our so called news outlets for a very long time. Everything is either a crisis, epidemic or a pandemic. They have cried wolf FAR too many times to have any credibility.

I agree and this piece is a perfect example of that. While I don't dispute the fact that vehicle side windows are ineffective at blocking UV rays, I do believe CNN used an extreme case to base their story on. We all come in contact with truck drivers every day, have you every seen one with such noticeable sun damage to only the left side of the face?

I admit that my left arm is darker than my other one is, but I also drive with my window down. For those of us who thought side glass blocked out most UV rays, we learned different. I just wish they would tone down the sensationalism. Of course if they did that the article would probably never have been linked on E.O.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
We had tinted windows in al our company trucks at Jasper Engines and they kept the truck a bit cooler in the summer time and reduced damage to leather seats. It was also great because we didnt burn driving down the road. My truck in the summer time stayed about 60 degrees with the air on and the tint on the side windows. It was legal tint too and we never had any run ins with LEO.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot should be more concerned about the pandemic of deafness in the left ear from driving sans window.

Moot already has some hearing loss, that's why he's donning the 90 weight sunblock and taking a vow of silence.
MarcelMootceau.jpg

Last edited:

charliemcc

Expert Expediter
go to sunprecautions.com and buy ahat with a 4 inch brim made from fabric rated spf 100. They also sell shirts, glovesand pants with fabric rated 100 spf. These items can be washed 500 times without losing their spf rating.