What scares you the most on the road?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The stretch of 90 in downtown Cleveland with the 35 mph curve - it's a scary thing to be behind a trucker that doesn't slow down enough, because the curve wasn't banked correctly, and you really do need to go slow. I think the EB detour around it is permanent, though.
Another thing that scares me is birds. Big stupid myopic birds!

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Going over mountains with the road having a long drop off just at the shoulder of the road.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I'm shocked that my #1 fear hasn't been mentioned. I thought it was probably the most common. That is, wildlife on the road, mostly deer, moose, and the like.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Someone plowing into me because they MUST update their Facebook..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Seeing this sign and you have to go - NOW!!!!

Closed-Rest-Area.jpg

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There are a lot of things that make driving for a living scary. Bad weather, black ice, crazy 18 wheelers, etc.
What scares you the most?

It is not a concern that I dwell on but the thought is always in the back of my mind. Expediters live and work on the road as truck drivers. Trucking is one of the ten most dangerous professions in America. It concerns me that we are never more than the very next instant away from an attack, catastrophic accident or injury that may end or negatively affect lives for the duration.

I would not call it a fear. It is a concern that prompts me to be a safety-first driver, prepare for the worst and to maintain a situational awareness, the likes of which people in less-dangerous professions seldom maintain.

Because the risks are higher, being careful out on the road involves more than being careful around the house or office.

Last edited:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Folks up north driving in snow, while texting.... "Those people down south, don't know how to drive in snow..." while he/she is sliding off the road.

Or, when I was a little north of Indy, one T/T jack knife in front of me, and one behind me side ways and flips....south on I-65- in snow. Then cars going north piling up rubber necking. Yep, we southerns just don't know how to drive in snow.. LOL

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
The stretch of 90 in downtown Cleveland with the 35 mph curve - it's a scary thing to be behind a trucker that doesn't slow down enough, because the curve wasn't banked correctly, and you really do need to go slow.

That's why it is aptly named "dead man's curve".

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
drivers in va they don't know how to drive when roads are dry let alone rain, or snow and fog

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
That little three letter word that makes grown men weak and women scream...ICE....Ive never really worried much about the other guy Im a pretty defensive driver, but that pesky Black Ice....I was on my way to Grande Isle Nebraska last year and got about 50 miles out in a pretty bad blizzard when the road just became a sheet of Glaze Ice and nowhere to get off.....Slowed down to about 10 mph and the rear of the truck is being BLOWN to the right by the wind, as I drove very cautiously, GRIPPING the wheel i literally skated the last 50 miles, each time a wind gust would almost blow me off the road Id let off the gas and hit the snow and correct...then back to the skate....ICE is my biggest woory...

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Ice...and people who drive too fast on it. All the defensive skill in the world will not help if your around a person who will not slow down.

Ran a load up to JFK from SC last Winter. Nothing but ice and these people kept roaring past me. Cars off the road everywhere and no less than five of them who flew by me on the left, were facing the wrong direction up the road......as I floated on by.

Two were into guard rails, saw maybe a dozen in the ditches, one went all the way down a steep embankment and only the trees stopped it from going any further. One laid on it's side for easy exhaust work...if so inclined. Carnage everywhere and they still wouldn't slow down.

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
You will be safe in Minnesota this year. The DNR has cancelled the 2013 moose hunting season due to a sharp decline in the state's moose population.
O.K
Bumpers!
front loaders.
taxidermy services.
do you have any idea how hard is to keep an eye open for 30 years without blinking?...

moose

Veteran Expediter
. Expediters live and work on the road as truck drivers.
not exactly, some exemptions do apply.
when you look on the way truck drivers are found dead on the job, many of which do not apply to expedite drivers.
a recent study published by the ATA, place small & none combination CMV's @ a very highest risk of been involved in an accident.

Trucking is one of the ten most dangerous professions in America. .
again, not exactly.
here is a simple Google:
America's 10 Deadliest Jobs - Forbes
Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries Summary, 2012
:"In 2012, 708 decedents were identified as contractors, many of whom worked in construction and transportation occupations."..."Of the 1,789 transportation-related fatal injuries, about 58 percent (1,044 cases) were roadway incidents involving motorized land vehicles. Nonroadway incidents, such as a tractor overturn in a farm field, accounted for another 13 percent of the transportation-related fatal injuries. About 16 percent of fatal transportation incidents in 2012 involved pedestrians who were struck by vehicles. Of the 283 fatal work injuries involving pedestrians struck by vehicles, 65 occurred in work zones"
or the Ambulance Chasers perspectives {pure B.S}:Trucking: One of the Top Ten On-the-Job Killers in America
or some Yahoo:The 10 Most Dangerous Jobs in the U.S. - Yahoo Finance
one undisclosed rezone, is truckers that die 'on the job' are actually none driving. some 68 truckers each year are found dead in their sleepers. {none of which are Expediters BTW}.
Jason, from Jason law, was one of them, yet if the murder took place only one house over, it would have not impact the statistics. if a trucker die one the side of the road,or a parking lot, is that a pedestrian, or a driver?
the problem is that trucking hate groups are manipulating the data to enforce strikers rules.
anything from NTSB demanding stright trucks to have side skirts bars protectors{@ your expense}, to NHSA demanding tougher more impact resistant cab for all CMV's, integrated technology for better survival rate for drivers and so on {again, @ our expanse}.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The wrong side won, resulting in that killer curve near downtown.
Is that the curve where several years ago the walls got topped with glass panels that reflected your headlights back at you?