What Makes a Good Month?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Yeah,My first thought was "I thought they were in a dry truck"
Then I remembered you are.
Arroz con gondulez brings good luck and knowledge !

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
That wasn't fair....sorry.

$121,973.01 through June 30. Let's not talk about July:mad:

$2.03 loaded; $1.45 all odometer miles.

Dry box, hazmat, Canada, liftgate, all WG equipment, and nothing else.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
JJ is the only non Fedex to really open up.
Non Fedex are encouraged to comment.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Net income is what counts. After paying your business expenses how much do you have left? Thats your income and if you have enough to be comfortable, then you had a good month.

Bob Wolf.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have spoken with a few dry box operators who say they rival (or surpass) our numbers.
Their net has to be 15 to 20% better than ours just based on cost of truck and fuel consumption.

While looking at possibly becoming an owner, I was torn between dry box or reefer.
The numbers I ran as to what would be acceptable to us based on running a DR for 4+ years indicated that a D unit would net the same as our DR unit with 180k vs 220k.

Since we have had both, the "net" is going to be very close. Or at least that has been our experience. It is that reason and probably other fleet owners that have opted out of the "reefer" market. May or may not make a difference depending on the carrier but we compared several to arrive at our decision. On our end I look at the drivers side and the ROI through five years using historical averages that we have had. Not industry averages. But they likely indicate something comparable.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Just digging a little deeper into our numbers for the year. Through the end of July, we have ran 90 loads. (Not counting several dry runs.) Of those 90, 60 were reefer (mix of TVAL and TempAssure) and 30 were dry freight.

For the reefer runs we are at $2.15/mile, all miles.
For the non-reefer runs we are at $1.69/mile, all miles.
Average length of reefer run (all miles): 672
Average length of non-reefer run (all miles): 836

Interestingly enough, the reefer runs (2/3 of the total ran) accounted for almost exactly 2/3 of the total gross to the truck (67.2%).

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I drive team for the Fed in a CR T-val unit. I have been with them for 7yrs and have had the best month EVER in July. Our pay is a straight 60/40. We pay ONLY for fuel. Will post exact figures if asked. We did over $41,000 to the truck. Good month!

If we didn't have those flat rate trucks,company owned trailers,and preferential dispatch image what you could have done !

We can only dream.......

1roaddog

Seasoned Expediter
Had it not been for the 34hr reset I think we would have done $50,000. We did have 8 days off but not at home. I used to worry about those flat rate tractors also