What Makes a Good Month?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your net is after overhead and expenses.

Lol I figured that out but if someone is paying the note on a 300k truck vs a 20k one and they have the same gross, isn't that important to know?
I think gross is the most important number to know when trying to figure out if a company is the right fit, as you should already have a handle on your operating costs.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Lol I figured that out but if someone is paying the note on a 300k truck vs a 20k one and they have the same gross, isn't that important to know?
I think gross is the most important number to know when trying to figure out if a company is the right fit, as you should already have a handle on your operating costs.

Over how many miles? Equal amounts of work? There are tons of variables and personal wants and needs come into play as well. Like, do you like hauling 'clean' freight or stinky, dirty, oily freight? How much is your work tied to the economy? To the auto industry? There are NO easy choices and much research is needed.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Over how many miles? Equal amounts of work? There are tons of variables and personal wants and needs come into play as well. Like, do you like hauling 'clean' freight or stinky, dirty, oily freight? How much is your work tied to the economy? To the auto industry? There are NO easy choices and much research is needed.

I agree with that.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is a real 'solid' month. Not great, but FAR from bad. We would NEVER complain about a month in that range. That $1.76 per mile is low though. Not sure why your loaded miles are paying in that range. That number should be over $2 for a TVAL truck. Must be because you worked less temp loads than normal. That can be pure luck.

Joe I am curious to what you base the $2 a mile on? Each of us has different expenses and to some $2 a mile could be low and to others expenses $2 a mile could be a huge profit. I base what we need per mile on what our expenses are and what we pay ourselves each one of us will be different.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Joe I am curious to what you base the $2 a mile on? Each of us has different expenses and to some $2 a mile could be low and to others expenses $2 a mile could be a huge profit. I base what we need per mile on what our expenses are and what we pay ourselves each one of us will be different.

Just basing it on a TVAL truck. Taking into consideration what they cost, the added maintenance costs etc. The OP team drives a TVAL truck, as do we. No other reason. They are good people, have you met them yet?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
a good month is low miles and big dollars
in a sprinter van have avg dollar a miles load or empty 1.00

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Just basing it on a TVAL truck. Taking into consideration what they cost, the added maintenance costs etc. The OP team drives a TVAL truck, as do we. No other reason. They are good people, have you met them yet?

Thanks Joe!:eek: We have met Linda and Bob and they have given us some great advice, as have you!

I just checked our numbers for the year. At the moment we are at $1.98/ mile for all miles. Last month was a little different for us as we did not run a single TVAL load. Our Reefer PM expired on June 30th, while a certification test that needs to be done yearly for TVAL trucks expired on Aug. 1. Trying to kill two birds with one stone, and reduce downtime, we decided to try to get both done at once. Unfortunately, there are very few dealerships that are capable of doing both.
Long story short, we were either at the wrong place, or at the wrong time all month long. Hoping to get in this next week to have them both done and get our TVAL flag back.

Oddly enough, we had one of our best months without it. :confused:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks Joe!:eek: We have met Linda and Bob and they have given us some great advice, as have you!

I just checked our numbers for the year. At the moment we are at $1.98/ mile for all miles. Last month was a little different for us as we did not run a single TVAL load. Our Reefer PM expired on June 30th, while a certification test that needs to be done yearly for TVAL trucks expired on Aug. 1. Trying to kill two birds with one stone, and reduce downtime, we decided to try to get both done at once. Unfortunately, there are very few dealerships that are capable of doing both.
Long story short, we were either at the wrong place, or at the wrong time all month long. Hoping to get in this next week to have them both done and get our TVAL flag back.

Oddly enough, we had one of our best months without it. :confused:

A dry box can gross what a TVAL truck does, it just NORMALLY takes far more miles to do so. More miles is more work and I HATE work! LOL!! Glad to be able to help and feel free to call when ever.

This shop can do it all if you find your self near.

Carrier Transicold of Detroit

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I met a young man at the T/A in Russell, IL yesterday. He told me he is paid. 38 a mile to drive a 2010 Sprinter for the fleet owner. He said he runs 2500 - 3000 miles a week. Owner covers all expenses. All driver pays for is his food.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think there are quite a few dry vans that are comparable rate and mileage wise to a tval truck.
Let me rephrase, except maybe the fed.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think there are quite a few dry vans that are comparable rate and mileage wise to a tval truck.
Let me rephrase, except maybe the fed.

Might be, I have never met one, not that that means anything. The OP IS with FDCC and DOES drive a TVAL truck so at least I got that part right!

I don't claim to be a total expert, just passing on what I have learned. Trying to help. IF I can do better on a regular basis, I am ALL ears!

zorry

Veteran Expediter

Linda,Are you saying if you buy a truck that has a fuel cost .15 lower than Louie that you can/will/should run for .15 cpm less than Louie ?
Wouldn't you want the same rate at .15 cpm larger profit ?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Linda,Are you saying if you buy a truck that has a fuel cost .15 lower than Louie that you can/will/should run for .15 cpm less than Louie ?

Yes I would run for a lower rate to stay competitive but this would not be my first choice. Our cost per mile is based on our cost per mile not anyone else's.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

As Linda said not my first choice....remember...even tho one is with the same carrier....we are also competing for the load with each other.....if my costs are lower then yours I will IF and I say IF all my conditions are met....I will run that load....and leave you behind...

1roaddog

Seasoned Expediter
I drive team for the Fed in a CR T-val unit. I have been with them for 7yrs and have had the best month EVER in July. Our pay is a straight 60/40. We pay ONLY for fuel. Will post exact figures if asked. We did over $41,000 to the truck. Good month!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I drive team for the Fed in a CR T-val unit. I have been with them for 7yrs and have had the best month EVER in July. Our pay is a straight 60/40. We pay ONLY for fuel. Will post exact figures if asked. We did over $41,000 to the truck. Good month!

A good month indeed! Congratulations. The best month we had when at FedEx Custom Critical with our CR TVAL unit was $38,000. We made ten truck payments after that month. It was sweet.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Even with all the down time we have had this year ( 8+ weeks ) I am projecting us limping in with a gross of 215 to 225K ( as long as the truck passes tval testing on Monday).
A strong finish would sure be nice.

As to what constitutes a good month, based off our previous 5 years, we target 20k as minimum, 25k as a solid month, 30k as a very good month.
We have never hit 40k, our best month was 36k.

I agree 100% with Joe on what a tval truck should strive for in rates.

I have spoken with a few dry box operators who say they rival (or surpass) our numbers.
Their net has to be 15 to 20% better than ours just based on cost of truck and fuel consumption.

While looking at possibly becoming an owner, I was torn between dry box or reefer.
The numbers I ran as to what would be acceptable to us based on running a DR for 4+ years indicated that a D unit would net the same as our DR unit with 180k vs 220k.